UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

26/01/2009 - "Illhaven Farewell" by Kew

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject: 26/01/2009 - "Illhaven Farewell" by Kew

Post Posted: 28 Jan 2009, 19:20

Map Title: Illhaven Farewell
Author: Tim "Kew" Jarvis
Filename: illhaven_6.unr
Video Playthrough: http://www.dailymotion.com/MMAN2/video/13824211

Image Image
Image Image

Synopsis: Snow has come to Illhaven. Kew has not succeeded in liberating the town. Unable to remain, he must make a bid for freedom without exposing himself to the harsh climate outside. En route, he passes through a monastery, where various artifacts have been bewitched by a betrayer to do harm to anyone that touches them.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Jan 2009, 19:20

The bit of the synopsis about the monastery was done from memory, so may not be entirely accurate!

Sorry about the delay getting this one posted.

Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Jan 2009, 19:23

This is the best map in Illhaven. The music and atmosphere is just great.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Jan 2009, 21:50

The map which required some UT files. I had to wait a while before finding the version with it.

Anyway, this is the map where you see the snow and a lot of logs talking about Kew being too weak to the cold atmosphere - I don't know how many of them were present. One was enough.

I really don't remember the map, except the fact that you do it inside the buildings. Cramped enviroments aren't nice when you fight groups of Krall and one of those rare Skaarj.

Architecture-wise, it's pretty much the same as the previous map - nice village, but the use of snow makes things better (although, nowadays, the falling snow looks like crap - a snow generator is now needed).
And yes, this map has that annoying Nali who poisoned the items in the monastery. Once you touch them, you die. Just like in the Contra games, where you touch something that's dying, and you still die. Lame.

Also, I remember at the end of the map the sea being actually blue acid :o
ImageImage

User avatar kea
SP2D Leader SP2D Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Jan 2009, 08:29

Nali who poisoned ammo is quite a nice and original idea IMHO.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Jan 2009, 09:13

If I remember, this was the best looking...but oddly played map in the game. What a weird way to end a pack.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 Feb 2009, 03:59

I thought you were supposed to have no weapons here, but apparently not.

I remember it having little to do with the previous maps beyond the setting, while stuff like the priory backstory provides enough of a narrative to keep you drawn into the setting it feels like a couple of story-arcs could have been established earlier and wrapped up here to make it feel more cohesive to the rest of the pack. As it is it's kind of a strange themetic epilogue that wouldn't really take anything away if it were removed and your characters escape came in the previous map, though, on the flipside, taking it away would add nothing either, and the theme is unique enough to justify its presence (Kew in general seems to enjoy theme experiments with more focus on theme and atmosphere than gameplay considering levels like Nali'pente, and this is one of those levels).

Then again, recalling how I couldn't play this level for a while because I didn't have UT (and how retarded I found that) has probably tainted my memory of it a little.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 02 Feb 2009, 15:51

I remember this level.. and how disappointed I was at the start. It looked so cool outside with the snow and all, but I couldn't go outside at all!!
So then you go thru cramped corridors.. ugh.. pretty frustrating.

However.. Illhaven just has new gameplay in almost every map. Just the way to play it is nice IMO.... It makes it unique.. i should dust off my Unreal copy and play this stuff again.... 8)
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.