Could be asleep, typing random messages instead.

(Unofficial) Botpack in Unreal 227g

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: (Unofficial) Botpack in Unreal 227g

Post Posted: 20 Dec 2009, 20:31

*not sure what section to put topic in so I put it here*

In spite of recent events, I have decided to start a new topic on something I feel needs to be discussed publicly on this forum in particular. As some of you may be aware, the support of UT's Botpack for Unreal227g has in fact been implemented indirectly as a feature in 227 (meaning you must verify first your copy of UT99 before being able to apply Botpack to your Unreal install). It has come to my attention that some members on this forum may not support the idea of having botpack included in Unreal. I think part (if not the majority) of the previous outburst on "UT Idiots" was because of this. So I am now asking for some honest opinions on how people in this community (supporting UT and Unreal sp campaigns) feel about having all UT/Unreal SP campaigns supported directly in the mother game using the 227g patch.

Discuss.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Dec 2009, 20:54

Why should someone not support that? I don't think anybody actively gives a damn. Compatibility is always nice to have, but there's no negative side to it that requires discussion...
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Re: Botpack in Unreal 227g

Post Posted: 20 Dec 2009, 20:57

jackrabbit wrote:(meaning you must verify first your copy of UT99 before being able to apply Botpack to your Unreal install).

As long as this is true (and possibly if it is fully stable) then it's okay. Are MH/anything compatible as well? I remember dots saying that he converted ONP directly.
ImageImage

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Dec 2009, 21:27

Sounds fine as long as it's done in such a way that it's not effectively a way to warez UT.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Dec 2009, 21:35

This is what I'd say to whomever takes up the task of porting botpack to 227:

More mutual compatibility is never a bad thing. You have to ask yourself if adding this support is worthwhile, though, considering how few people are likely to take advantage of it.

Furthermore, while Epic is unlikely to bring any legal action against this, you should still be wary that even with a verification check, this could technically be a violation of copyright law, especially due to the retarded shit in the DMCA. Again, it's very unlikely Epic would send out their legal guys over something like this, but it's possible you'd be facing a $100,000+ suit if for some reason they did.

Really, at the end of the day, I'd say don't worry about it unless you have a lot of demand.

User avatar Raven
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Dec 2009, 22:29

Sounds great - if it's possible, fully legal and approved by Epic (on same way as UPak) then go ahead. I'd like to see more compatibility between those two games (so If make smth in UT it'll also work in U1).
Madness, as you know, is like gravity…all it takes is a little push!
http://turniej.unreal.pl/portfolio

User avatar gp
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Dec 2009, 23:31

I own UT and install it just to play the Oldskool packs.

If there was absolutely nothing illegal or shady about it, I'd love to have some of the better UT SP Map Packs such as Xidia Gold or Déjà vu contained within my Unreal 227 installation. And though I don't know the amount of coding involved, if it were possible to launch them directly using the Umenu interface it would be icing on the cake.

User avatar Raven
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 21 Dec 2009, 00:01

I suppose it's just one int file (assuming that oldskool would be converted to 227). Although I think it'll look almost exactly like in UT because new 227 features needs to be implemented (except some dynamic stuff like shadows) in each pack from UT.
Madness, as you know, is like gravity…all it takes is a little push!
http://turniej.unreal.pl/portfolio

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 21 Dec 2009, 02:10

Lemme clear up some things Jackrabbit has mis-told you you guys.

Botpack is NOT in 227g and WILL NOT be included with 227g. Botack for Unreal is user made and has nothing to do with 227 whatsoever.

Smirftsch wrote:there will be no official botpack with 227, the one out there is user made and has nothing to do with 227 itself.

Lemme clear up some other things. Yes it works with all stock Unreal maps, but a lot of custom maps like ONP or 7Bullets will not work. I even tried loading Vacillations and TheLastFortress in Unreal and it did not work. Why? Because a lot of custom map packs like these use custom coding and variables that Unreal doesn't actually have in it's own engine.
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 21 Dec 2009, 03:16

I can't speak for VVV, but TLF's code is all MyLevel'd and SHOULD theoretically work under 227 - if Oldskool was ported. I have Oldskool weapons placed in the map for the starting inventory (see the readme). So, if you get Botpack ported, you'd still need Oldskool ported too for a lot of that stuff.

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 21 Dec 2009, 03:19

Shivaxi wrote:Lemme clear up some things Jackrabbit has mis-told you you guys.

Botpack is NOT in 227g and WILL NOT be included with 227g. Botack for Unreal is user made and has nothing to do with 227 whatsoever.

Smirftsch wrote:there will be no official botpack with 227, the one out there is user made and has nothing to do with 227 itself.

So... what happens when I run a server using Botpack.u?

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 21 Dec 2009, 09:38

So you basically have to convert any UT mod to make them work under Unreal 1. Instead, BotPack-only stuff like Domination do work, right?
ImageImage

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 21 Dec 2009, 14:04

@ Jackrabbit: So...nobody will join your server because Botpack is almost 20 MB and nobody wants to download that :P

@UBerserker: Not every mod, no. There are some that will work fine without any such conversion. Vacillations and TheLastFortress gave me a strange error when trying to load that I think may be a problem in the Botpack for Unreal itself...not sure yet. And yeah, I played CTF-Face and AS-Overlord in Unreal and they work fine, so all stock UT stuff will work. Only problem is of course that all the settings don't show up in the menu, so you can't change like maplist, bot difficulty, mutators, that stuff. The game types don't show up either. Of course this could all be done via commands or batch files.

And by the Unreal God do NOT convert OldSkool to Unreal...that would just be retarded. Just convert the map pack and play in UnrealShare.CoopGame like it's meant to be.

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 21 Dec 2009, 17:42

...moved thread to General Gameplay. Should not be under "Site Speak".

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 21 Dec 2009, 21:16

Shivaxi wrote:Vacillations and TheLastFortress gave me a strange error when trying to load that I think may be a problem in the Botpack for Unreal itself...not sure yet.

Can't find BoolProperty in file 'BoolProperty Botpack.TournamentWeapon.bCanClientFire'

That BoolProperty seems to be missing in the converted version for some reason. Quite possibly due to the code being different between UT and U...unsure though.

Next