This is a test. Test! Consider yourself tested.

Obscure Unreal map upload (Jiganara 1)

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Dec 2007, 21:24

Vigil99 worked only on U1 220 AFAIK.
ImageImage

User avatar WhirlWindWabbit
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Dec 2007, 11:33

Mick.B wrote:Btw that original Jiganara, where can I dl it so I can try the original version with custom scripts? I assume taht W3 removed the custom scripts from the map.

I never removed anything.

As for Vigil is concerned, you'll all have to wait untill friday untill I can give it a go. Not home right now, though I don't think it'll be as easy as Jiganara was :/
"Sir, we're surrounded!"
"Good, we can attack in any direction."

User avatar Mick.B
Banned Banned

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Dec 2007, 14:18

Why did the map not work then? I think you removed it, but unintentionally perhaps? When you ported the map over.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject: Re:

Post Posted: 12 Jan 2014, 22:57

WhirlWindWabbit wrote:...
Aparently there's two parts to the map, the initial village (name Jiganara - that's for the name of the map) and an underground tunnel that connects to a sort of a temple or whatnot. I haven't been able to figure out how to get to that second part of the map just yet though, since all the lifts work only if you touch them and the button that (I'm guessing) opens the door of the underground tunnel is located a top of a mountain. Dunno how to get down without "leaving a small crater". I'll get to that.

Just by accident I stumbled on this topic and remembered that I had seen this years ago and wanted to reply to it but apparently forgot all about it. I don't really want to start a new topic since there is one already, but I do feel it deserves its own topic. (Perhaps when there is a topic linked to the review.)
Anyway, here goes.

This is a funny little map which I didn't like at all when I played it the first time, because the player starts without a weapon and very little health, and ... there are Krall and Skaarj just waiting to finish you off while you're searching for a weapon and health. But years later (probably after playing Xenome) I got the hang of getting the enemies to kill or at least weaken each other and at the same time destroy some boxes so that I could pick up some inventory.

There are actually 2 ways to tackle this map.
One is the normal way, meaning you have no prior knowlegde about the map, and you're basically just running around to find a weapon (difficult) and to find health (very easy I you run in the right direction from the start).
The main problem in this map is to get rid of the Krall and the Skaarj. When I played this about a century ago, I could do it but after Xenome I got the hang of getting the Krall and Skaarj to shoot at me while I standing in front of a barrel or box, thereby making some weapons, ammo and armor available. Once you've got that, it's fairly easy to get rid of the opposition. The level then continues with ... the second way to tackle this map.

The second way is not the way one would play this map the first few tries (I think) but it the easiest way to beat this map.

Want to try to find it yourself: Don't read the spoiler.

[spoiler]Immediately run away from the Krall and the Skaarj and take the elevator up the central island, Take some Nali fruit, avoid the Krall and jump over to the wooden ledges, run through the corridor and take the elevator up. Take the Flak, kill the Brutes (or Behemoths, I can't remember). Press the button (you'll find it).
OK, now I think the Church door is open, if it's not then it's probably something on the central island (there's a panel at the back) and/or having to go back onto the wooden ledges and into a corridor on the right (although I saw no trigger there). Anyway, just accept you're still high up where you killed the three Behemoths. There a non working elevator there which can be used to reach the bottom ... by jumping from one horizontal beam to the lower one. It takes a couple of tries (so save before you do this the first time) but you'll get the hang of it quite soon. It's possible to get down without losing health at all.[/spoiler]
OK, now you're back down, you've got a weapon and it's a piece of cake to eliminate the Krall and Skaarj, pick up alle weapons, ammo and armor, go into the church, press the switch which opens the way up, kill some Krall, pick up seed, flares and a weapon, and find your way into the lower (underground corridor). I won't give any more details because the rest is quite simple.

In my opinion Jiganara (this map) is underrated. Granted, build isn't special at all, but a) the lack of weapons and lack of health makes this very interesting and is in no way unfair and b) the not so evident way of getting back down from the area with the Behemoths to the starting point. I replayed this about 6 weeks ago and really enjoyed it.

Previous