Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

Texture Mask Problem

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar GTD-Carthage
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Texture Mask Problem

Post Posted: 23 Dec 2007, 07:28

A few masked textures seem to be appearing wrong in UT. Other masked textures appear perfectly fixed.

Is there any way to remedy this?

User avatar Ultimate Weasel
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 23 Dec 2007, 09:32

Copy the non-S3TC skybox.utx (I got mine from the original Unreal CD) over your current version of skybox.utx

Be sure to back the file up though.
Hellscrag wrote:SKAARJ BERSERKER: Come in, Terran, come in! Make yourself at home next to the plasma fire. Care for an urn of mulled Nali blood?

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 23 Dec 2007, 16:07

I'm using the fixed version of this utx pack from CelticWarriors, and the bug is only present in Maekh's map of DV2 to me. Weird.
ImageImage

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 23 Dec 2007, 17:54

You don't really think this is Off Topic, do you, GTD-Carthage?
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Mick.B
Banned Banned

Subject:

Post Posted: 23 Dec 2007, 18:15

There is other texture pack with this problem. Not only skybox.utx, but the other one has a problem too, I have forgotten which one.

User avatar Ultimate Weasel
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 23 Dec 2007, 19:56

Mick.B wrote:There is other texture pack with this problem. Not only skybox.utx, but the other one has a problem too, I have forgotten which one.
That would be the skybox textures of city.utx
You should be able to solve that by copying the original from UTGOTY's non-extra's (first) CD.
Hellscrag wrote:SKAARJ BERSERKER: Come in, Terran, come in! Make yourself at home next to the plasma fire. Care for an urn of mulled Nali blood?

User avatar GTD-Carthage
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Dec 2007, 04:09

Hellscrag wrote:You don't really think this is Off Topic, do you, GTD-Carthage?

Ya know, maybe we should have a technical support forum section... :P Unless, this forum is for that purpose as well.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Dec 2007, 13:04

GTD-Carthage wrote:
Hellscrag wrote:You don't really think this is Off Topic, do you, GTD-Carthage?

Ya know, maybe we should have a technical support forum section... :P Unless, this forum is for that purpose as well.

I don't think we need any more forum sections! If it's about Unreal, though, the one thing that it's obviously not is Off Topic. Look at it that way and you should be OK.

Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Diehard
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Jan 2008, 14:28

I'm using the fixed version of this utx pack from CelticWarriors, and the bug is only present in Maekh's map of DV2 to me. Weird.

That is interesting, since the masked textures seen in that screenshot arn't updated at all. Lol, i didnt even knew they were supposed to be Masked.

Before i looked into it (couple a minutes ago) i though they might be Masked and if so, they got rewritten during merging with the S3TC textures. But they aren't Masked at all. In UTed they are though.

I never dit actual tests to see, if the S3TC texture Masking will overwrite non Masked textures and force them to be Masked(but if i recall correct, they dont). Its a re-occuring problem and i never had the time to dig into it. If i find some i will do some testing to see if this can be solved for both UT and Unreal.

The most difficult part is, to find out which textures are supposed to be Masked, secondary, mappers may have taken in account that textures are NOT Masked and added as such to various maps. If they are made Masked than one can asume it will create weird effects on those maps, and even likelly they start to cause huge BSP errors, since they are often used on outer "walls".

For Deco you wont have that problem since they are always sitting in the middle of a map, and never shield off the outer space.

All together its difficult to grab the problem, people can have problems on one map, while that same texture is doing fine on another. And onother player can have it vice versa on those same maps, or dont have a problem at all. That probably means there is a difference in the used videocards.
DìèHárd»§ÇW§