Did you know? All of these messages will likely be replaced before release.

Antialiasing and Anisotropic Filtering in Unreal

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar gp
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject: Antialiasing and Anisotropic Filtering in Unreal

Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011, 21:22

Some here might not know that they can make Unreal/UT look a little better with a couple of advanced preferences options, so perhaps one or two might find this post helpful.

Antialiasing reduces the number of jagged edges shown on screen, with a very apparent example being the Rifle's rounds.
Anisotropic Filtering improves the look of distant objects as well as textures seen from certain angles.

To change: Advanced Options > Rendering > Direct3D8/Direct3D9/OpenGL >

MaxAnisotropy - If set to greater than 1, specifies the maximum degree of anisotropy to use for texture filtering. 16 is usuallty the highest available for most and doesn't have too much of a performance impact for me.
NumAASamples - 2, 4 or 8 are common values, 16 is probably overkill.
UseAA - Should be set to "True" to enable antialiasing.

A quick example: MaxAnisotropy = 0 on the top and 16 on the bottom.

User avatar integration
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject: Re: Antialiasing and Anisotropic Filtering in Unreal

Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011, 23:04

Thank you for your tip. Actually all these values were set to 0 in my ini. Espescially changing MaxAnisotropie makes a significant difference: Unreal looks sharper when setting it.

User avatar Tarydax
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011, 01:07

This has really helped a lot. Now Unreal doesn't hurt my eyes when I set it to OpenGL. :)

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011, 01:21

Jesus christ I just realized I've had MaxAnisotropy on 0 for ages. HUGE DIFFERENCE.

I also had AA disabled for a long time since it used to slow down my game in intense firefights on some maps, but now that I have a really maximum overkill video card (overkill for UT at least) I can turn that stuff on too \o/

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011, 01:25

I believe NumAASamples only works when set to 2 or 4...8 and 16 reset it to 0 for me (not literally but I could see there was no anti-aliasing on pixels when set at 8 and 16), so I just keep AA at 4...since there isn't really any difference that the eye can see when above 4 AA samples :P
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar Rarsonic
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011, 03:06

Shivaxi wrote:I believe NumAASamples only works when set to 2 or 4...8 and 16 reset it to 0 for me (not literally but I could see there was no anti-aliasing on pixels when set at 8 and 16), so I just keep AA at 4...since there isn't really any difference that the eye can see when above 4 AA samples :P

Your card probably does not support AA samplings higher than fource, as is the case with low end graphics cards.

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011, 05:54

Rarsonic wrote:
Shivaxi wrote:I believe NumAASamples only works when set to 2 or 4...8 and 16 reset it to 0 for me (not literally but I could see there was no anti-aliasing on pixels when set at 8 and 16), so I just keep AA at 4...since there isn't really any difference that the eye can see when above 4 AA samples :P

Your card probably does not support AA samplings higher than fource, as is the case with low end graphics cards.

GTX 460...a low end card? I think not :P :rolleyes:

I've done 16xAA in other games and it works fine...I dunno why it doesn't want to work in 227

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar Lightning Hunter

Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011, 03:11

I've been using 16xAF for Unreal Tournament for years. Even with my 7-year old computer, it doesn't cause the least bit of lag. I keep AA at 0, because it really doesn't change much - unless you sit there and stare at corners and take screenshots to compare. AA also lags the game MUCH more than AF, and tends to mess up the font in the menus. The biggest noticeable difference comes from AF, as seen from the screenshots in the first post. Things really clear up.

My personal recommendation:
AF = 16
AA = 0

Here is something else worth mentioning for people that are experiencing tearing or mouse lag (or mouse latency). In your video card settings, force V-sync to on, and turn the pre-render limit to "3" (this removes mouse lag caused by V-sync). Next, go into the game and turn on direct mouse input. You will now have no mouse acceleration, no mouse lag, no tearing, and movement as smooth as butter. 8)

Edit: For the technique above, I also recommend turning off triple-buffering. This causes lag in Unreal Tournament. The much better solution is to pre-render the frames (pre-render limit).
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011, 06:41

I don't think UT uses above 8 for anistropic, but I always had that on since forever.
AA can muddle things up, sometimes those jaggies let you see that 3 pixel enemie way off far.
Just ban everyone

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011, 18:11

Lightning Hunter wrote:Edit: For the technique above, I also recommend turning off triple-buffering. This causes lag in Unreal Tournament. The much better solution is to pre-render the frames (pre-render limit).

That depends on the graphic card I believe. Triple Buffering is usually a good thing, especially when using Vsync, as it's much smoother then with it on. For most games anyway...though with UT2k4, triple buffering doesn indeed make my FPS all choppy for some reason.

User avatar Lightning Hunter

Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011, 19:07

Shivaxi wrote:
Lightning Hunter wrote:Edit: For the technique above, I also recommend turning off triple-buffering. This causes lag in Unreal Tournament. The much better solution is to pre-render the frames (pre-render limit).

That depends on the graphic card I believe. Triple Buffering is usually a good thing, especially when using Vsync, as it's much smoother then with it on. For most games anyway...though with UT2k4, triple buffering doesn indeed make my FPS all choppy for some reason.

I think triple buffering simply sucks in UT, since I had experienced drops in fps with both my previous Radeon card and my current Geforce card. But yes, I agree that triple buffering is usually a good thing. I use it in Quake and most other games to remove mouse latency and lag. Due to the performance hit in UT however, I found the pre-render limit to be much more effective at removing mouse problems caused by V-sync.

I'm sure there will be a few people that will have different experiences based on their system, however.
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

User avatar UArchitect
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011, 01:57

i remember the days of negative lodbias before anisotropic filtering

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011, 02:57

UArchitect wrote:i remember the days of negative lodbias before anisotropic filtering

+1

-100 loadbias is mad fun

Actually +100 loadbias is even funnier :P

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 22 May 2011, 22:26

UArchitect wrote:i remember the days of negative lodbias before anisotropic filtering

Yeeeaaaa, that was some nice stuff there.

NaPaliShore
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 19 Jun 2014, 11:56

Lightning Hunter wrote:My personal recommendation:
AF = 16
AA = 0

Here is something else worth mentioning for people that are experiencing tearing or mouse lag (or mouse latency). In your video card settings, force V-sync to on, and turn the pre-render limit to "3" (this removes mouse lag caused by V-sync). Next, go into the game and turn on direct mouse input. You will now have no mouse acceleration, no mouse lag, no tearing, and movement as smooth as butter. 8)

Edit: For the technique above, I also recommend turning off triple-buffering. This causes lag in Unreal Tournament. The much better solution is to pre-render the frames (pre-render limit).

Question -- how do I set the pre-render limit for Unreal 227i of UT 4.36? I can't find a setting for "pre-render" anywhere in the Unreal.ini or Unrealtournament.ini ...

Thanks!

I'm pretty happy with my OpenGL settings as they are now:
MaxAnisotropy=16
UseAA=True
NumAASamples=8
Swapinterval 0
RefreshRate=0
FrameRateLimit=150

But with those settings I do get that bug where the ripples on the surface of water are sped up, and there is slight tearing that's not too distracting. So I would be curious to see if I could get 227i and/or UT to work with vsync on, without the slightly sluggish mouse and occasionally feeling of jerkyness (e.g. in the Unreal flyby map)...

Next