Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

Hi

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Sadistic Fungus
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject: Hi

Post Posted: 25 Feb 2012, 04:52

Hi there,
I used to create maps and such for UT Singleplayer stuff years ago. I used to be known as Willis..
Is Hellscrag still around? It's been along time but i've garnered an interest in creating maps again
and it's great to see this community is still around. Anyways, just wanted to say hi.

-Fungus

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject: Re: Hi

Post Posted: 25 Feb 2012, 05:47

Wow, blast from the past! I remember you! Somewhat! Scrag isn't around much now since he's been moving on up in real life, so don't expect to see him, sadly. But everything else is still kicking.

User avatar Jigoku
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 25 Feb 2012, 07:33

Welcome to UnrealSP!!
Trying to get back into the swing of things.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 25 Feb 2012, 15:02

Oh my, Willis of Na Pali: Broken! Welcome back! Hellscrag retired from his admin position to pursue RL stuff, but he still visits the site. Probably more than he'd like to! :D
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Post Posted: 26 Feb 2012, 14:27

Yes, I check in very briefly once every few days (mostly to see whether TCO or Firestorm have been released yet!). Good to see you, Willis, how're things?
Life is what you make of it.

Sadistic Fungus

Post Posted: 29 Feb 2012, 01:06

Im doing great actually. I recently re-installed Unreal and Unreal Tournament and it garnered an interest in possibly getting back into creating something. What better to create than maybe a small UnrealSP campaign... That is after I re-learn all the stuff i have forgotten. Good to see you're still around scrag!

Speaking of making some maps, anyone know if there are any higher res. textures that have been released in recent years I could use? I still have the old ONP textures (decent rock textures). But that all seems kind of outdated now..

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 29 Feb 2012, 01:15

Welcome back. The re-appearance of various people who have been gone for many years is a nice recent development.

Was it all lost or do you happen to still have any Na Pali Broken stuff? Even if it's extremely disjointed and incomplete it would be cool if some of the mod (or at least something like the demo) could be salvaged and released in some fashion.

With recent S3TC texture packs, most of the high-res textures for Unreal are actually modified versions of the original ones. Some modern Mods like Residual Decay have new high-res textures but they unfortunately aren't out yet.
Formerly Mman

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 29 Feb 2012, 13:33

I'm still not a fan of the ONP textures, fit more Earth in my opinion.
As for S3TC textures, don't install them in UT if you're using the editor. 227's UED should support OpenGL and consequently the DH's S3TC without bugs.
ImageImage

User avatar Lightning Hunter
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 02 Mar 2012, 20:24

Hey Willis! Long time no see. To really answer your question about new high-res textures, you can download some extremely awesome packs here:
http://www.uttexture.com/UT/Website/Dow ... xtures.htm

Use the navigation bar on the left side to choose the quality of the textures you wish to have. The High-end textures are what I have. Extreme-end is outrageously large, and the downloads are several more GB in size. I compared them in the game and can't tell much difference for all that wasted memory.

As per what MMAN said, I personally use a batch file to swap the high-res textures in and out so I can use the editor in the same installation. I uploaded them for you below. To use them, simply place the files in the UnrealTournament\Textures folder. You can create a shortcut to them after that if you wish. Every time you wish to play with them enabled, simply run "Install High Res Textures.bat". When you wish to use the editor, run "Uninstall High Res.bat". You will know if you accidentally left the high-res tetxures on, because the textures in the editor will look screwed up (if you use the default rendering mode, which I do). The current batch files will rename ALL known high-res textures from that site. In the future, more may have to be added to the list.

Batch files:
http://filebeam.com/9cfab553cc887f9799a64a05b70be0c5

Of course, you can also simply have two installations of UT; one for editing purposes (high-res textures disabled), and the other for playing purposes (high-res texture enabled). It's up to you!
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

bob
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 02 Mar 2012, 23:54

That batch file thing is cool but there is a different approach to using both in one install that may work as well

Instead of all that clever batch file crap you could have a separate folder for the different textures in a single ut install and just point the editor to a custom ini in a shortcut using -ini that has the custom textures in a custom path and the standard ones in separate folder path as well. I think that's cleaner tbh.. Also this would work without dos command line permissions. and you could lock the files as read only as well and it would still work. and have both the editor and the game open at the same time with differnt texture sets in use

also looks like that batch file is blindly renaming files without any checks, so if a single texture file was updated or out of sync it would get all mixed up other then filesize

For some weird unknown reason , chrome thinks this zip of 2 batchfiles is malicious and i had to force it to let me download..... whatever

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 03 Mar 2012, 03:02

Could you post an example directory tree and what the .ini lines would look like ?
Just ban everyone

User avatar Lightning Hunter
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 03 Mar 2012, 04:11

bob wrote:For some weird unknown reason , chrome thinks this zip of 2 batchfiles is malicious and i had to force it to let me download..... whatever

Well, Chrome is probably protecting idiots from running batch files that rename anything. After all, you could technically have it rename important files. However, any pro could simply right click and see what it does.

And by the way, the batch files do not mix up anything if it's in the wrong order, at least I don't believe so. You can run the incorrect batch file all you want. It simply says "files not found", and does nothing. Your directory idea is good though, of course.
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

Sadistic Fungus

Post Posted: 06 Mar 2012, 17:43

Thanks for the help guys. I think I'll play around with the .ini pathways once i get the textures and such downloaded, and get the batch files too in-case I get frustrated heheh.

As for Na'Pali:Broken, the old computer I had all the files stored on unfortunatley bit the dust. All I have left is some a few things I transfered wich were a few model packs like TobioTrees, a few story text files, and a few textures... I spent a ton of hours on that project and was so mad afterward I said I would never open Ued again. So this time around I think I would just like to start fresh and take my time as to enjoy what I am doing instead of getting myself in a situation where I get all wound up haha.

Also, are there any advantages of going with the 227 patch of the original Unreal? I've been reading alot of good things about it.

bob
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 06 Mar 2012, 20:54

Structure would look like:

Move the standard ( textures that have a HD versions equiv only not all)
in to a folder ut/textures_sd/
put the HD textures in a folder ut/textures_hd/

At this point you can choose 2 options; whatever you find simpler
duplicate the ini and point ut to it . or edit the original and point the editor to a new one

backup unrealtournamnt.ini in case you mess it up or want to restore..

edit the unrealtournment.ini
find core.system
add line Paths=../Textures_hd/*.utx

Editor
copy the unrealtournment.ini to editorini.ini
find core.system
add line Paths=../Textures_sd/*.utx

unrealed.exe -ini editorini.ini
or
unreal.exe -ini unrealtournamenthd.ini

thinking abut this more the batch file is easier for normal users.
and also i never tested this to method to actually work , but in theory it should Since i hardly play ut anymore and only play 225/227 anymore i dont feel like testing it..

late reply since i was out of state for weekend..