This is a test. Test! Consider yourself tested.

Invisible colors

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar evilgrins
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Invisible colors

Post Posted: 24 Jun 2012, 17:16

In the original Unreal Tournament it was blue. You could see it UnrealEd, or if you were using a graphics card that wasn't Voodoo, but in-game the blue was not seen.

Given the skins for the Warlord I got have that gray under the wing, I'm assuming it is that in ut2004, where I got it, that's the color there.

In-game it's supposed to be something you can see through but it seems to vary from system to system, from graphics card to graphics setup.

Does ut99 have a universal invisible color?

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: Re: Invisible colors

Post Posted: 24 Jun 2012, 17:20

Filling those spots with black always works for me.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 24 Jun 2012, 17:26

Whichever color is last in your color table will be the masked color when you import a texture with the Masked flag. In Photoshop, what you'd do to fix this is use a really unique color (I use #FF00FF) for the masked bits, then index the colors. Chances are, #FF00FF won't be the last color. So select all, copy, then go to Mode -> Color Table and replace any instance of your unique color with black or white or something, then click the very last cell and use #FF00FF and close the color table. Your image will look sorta screwed up, so ctrl+v to paste in the correct one. You should now have a correct color table for the texture, so save and import as masked and boom.

User avatar evilgrins

Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012, 09:24

Waffnuffly: How do I keep it transparent one I put it on the Warlord though? I can edit it enough prior to putting it in UnrealEd but after it's in it doesn't look invisible in-game.
AlCapowned wrote:Filling those spots with black always works for me.

Tried that. They look better black but they're not transparent.

Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012, 14:09

Wait, do you want them to be transparent or masked (i.e. invisible)? You can only mask certain parts of a texture - you can't make part of a single texture transparent. It's all or nothing there. Though you can make one transparent texture and then have a masked texture overlaid on top, but that requires two textures and a proxy actor and a lot more work.

User avatar []KAOS[]Casey
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012, 20:22

this tool can also set certain rgb values to mask {still has to be first in palette}

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2327

User avatar evilgrins

Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012, 20:26

Waffnuffly wrote:Wait, do you want them to be transparent or masked (i.e. invisible)? You can only mask certain parts of a texture - you can't make part of a single texture transparent. It's all or nothing there. Though you can make one transparent texture and then have a masked texture overlaid on top, but that requires two textures and a proxy actor and a lot more work.

Like how the original monsters were. The original Warlords had blue parts that you couldn't see in-game, at least with the graphics card that UT was designed for.

Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012, 22:57

Right, so what I suspected, and the usual course. Did you ensure the color table was correct and that when you imported the texture into UED, you marked it as masked? If you didn't mark it as Masked on import, does it mask properly if you set the Style to STY_Masked?

User avatar evilgrins

Post Posted: 30 Jun 2012, 06:19

I don't have photoshop, I use MS Paint. Very limited range of things i can do with it.

So, yeah, I guess "masked" is the right word. How do I mask the gray parts on the Warlord skin?

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 27 Jul 2012, 21:51

I would always just copy the grey color from decals like blood splatters and such, then set the warlord mesh of course to Masked...dont forget that XD =P.
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.