Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

Looking for a particular map... Maya-style temple(s) surrounded by water, night.

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar marvin_arnold
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject: Looking for a particular map... Maya-style temple(s) surrounded by water, night.

Post Posted: 18 Aug 2012, 23:28

I'd be grateful if someone could help me remembering an Unreal custom map that I played many years ago... I've looked through the campaigns, but nothing rings a bell...

It's part of a mid to longer campaign (probaby 4-6 maps). The story, IIRC, was about retrieving a Nali artifact or a Nali priest thet the Skaarj had captured.

The particular map consisted of one or more Maya-like temples surrounded by water. In the middle of the map is a high rocky island with jungle vegetation, and the main temple is on a flat island behind it. The temple was surrounded by a wall. The artifact or priest was in the upper floor of the temple, which IIRC took some puzzle-solving to reach.

This particular map is at night.

At one point, while outside of that wall, you have to fight two translucent/glowing blue or maybe ice (?) skaarj.

I remember the review here on Unrealsp.org praised the excellent sound design, which was particularly evident in those swamps and jungle vegetation full of croaking frogs and other sounds.

That's all I remember, hope my memory doesn't play tricks...

Ring a bell? Thanks in advance...

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject: Re: Looking for a particular map... Maya-style temple(s) surrounded by water, night.

Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012, 00:35

Hmm... you know it's been reviewed? Some details ring a bell, like I thought it may have been One Day, but the glowing Skaarj rule that out, and then I thought maybe The Elder, but I don't recall any water-surrounded temples. Rescue of Panunu seems too simple and it was a single map, I think.

Could it have been one of the Skaarj Tower maps?

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: Re: Looking for a particular map... Maya-style temple(s) surrounded by water, night.

Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012, 00:55

Maybe you're thinking of the Palace of Chizra from Déjà Vu?

Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012, 01:47

Haha, man, I'm gonna laugh if it turns out to have been my map. It's true that there is at least one glowing Skaarj Lord as an easteregg... :lol:

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012, 02:33

I'd agree that in general that sounds closest to Palace of Chizra.
Formerly Mman

Levelworm

Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012, 04:57

Waffnuffly wrote:Haha, man, I'm gonna laugh if it turns out to have been my map. It's true that there is at least one glowing Skaarj Lord as an easteregg... :lol:

Thanks for making that map! I'm a fan of battling Skraajs and it took me three replays of your map to satisfy my...strange hobby.
Power lays only in Darkness

Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012, 05:04

Levelworm wrote:Thanks for making that map! I'm a fan of battling Skraajs and it took me three replays of your map to satisfy my...strange hobby.

You're welcome! If you liked the combat in that level, you should try out The Last Fortress. There's like 10 times as much resistance :P

And then there's EXU2, which is an entirely different experience altogether, and has probably a few hundred times as many enemies, but I digress... ;)

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012, 05:10

Waffnuffly wrote:Haha, man, I'm gonna laugh if it turns out to have been my map. It's true that there is at least one glowing Skaarj Lord as an easteregg... :lol:

:lol: I was laughing as I read your previous post for this reason
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012, 12:04

I'm doing something special with Palace of Chizra right now.
ImageImage

User avatar marvin_arnold

Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012, 22:06

YES, I just redownloaded Deja-vu and it's definitely Palace of Chizra! \o/

thanks everybody for helping out! I have I think six or seven Unreal/UT installations spread across three computers, and one of them actually has these maps.

A bit different from what I remembered, but the islands, the foilage, the water - all there!

The two Skaarj Assassins I meant aren't glowing, sorry. My bad. :D

Thank you all!

Time for a bit of Deja-Vu...