A random sentence for a random mind.

A couple of combat problems that puzzled me for years

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Levelworm
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject: Re: A couple of combat problems that puzzled me for years

Post Posted: 20 Aug 2012, 20:38

redeye wrote:I have had dodging disabled since day one, online or off, I really hate it and do fine without it.

shoot skaarj with the ....can't even think of the gun name, has the blue shards, use secondary and keep backing up, same with the flack, both guns always shoot skaarj close range. (or sniper with headshots) and double enforcer is good till they come close range.

What i do with the blade gun is distance down hallways , either bounce off walls or go for the headshots.Then by the time they arrive you can use a puff of air and kill them.The secondary is good to push enemies off cliffs and things, splash damage for tentacles, and the regular fire against gasbags the razorjack slice and dice those things easily.

I have never figured out what weapon does best against the slith, nothing seems to damage them more.

The auto-mag and stinger are good for combating sliths as they seem to be easily stunned by rapid firing weapons. But I always use A.S.M.D. if I'm underwater and they are close to me.

Now, after playing 5 map-packs including RTNP:UE and Unreal on higher difficulties in the last few days, I must say that the most annoying encounters are:

1. Close fights with Brutes, this is deadly on Unreal difficulty if I'm not careful.
2. Pupae, as they drain away health like hell.
3. Of course, fighting 2-3 heavier Skraajs (thinking about troopers with Eightball and razorjack, as well as any warrior that is at par or more powerful than the Berserker) in close encouters is always deadly if I'm not well prepared. I always use Bio-rifle or Flak cannon under this circumstance.
Power lays only in Darkness

Levelworm

Post Posted: 20 Aug 2012, 20:43

UBerserker wrote:Against Slith = ASMD secondary fire.

Mister_Prophet wrote:I think the AI kinda bugs when it comes to the razorblade alt. Sometimes they seem to dodge it and other times they are oblivious. I will say that mastering alt blade piloting was one of the last things from the arsenal I got a handle on, and even now I'll only risk guiding them for like a second of flight time. Primary is pretty much fine for any enemy in the game.

AI never reacts to any of the blades, so it's only up to you guiding the blades to the enemy.

Is it possible to write some scripts so they are more aware to the blades and grenades? I'm finishing ONP and it seems the AI dodge a lot than in Unreal, or maybe they place more advanced warriors/troopers in the map-pack, simply. But it still does not dodge blades and grenades. But again, IF AI somehow learns to do that, the player is going to have a hard time beating it.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 20 Aug 2012, 20:51

The fun thing is that by dodging blades, the Razorjack would lose tons of value in direct combat against Skaarj/Mercs/Krall. Avoid using the Automag against the Slith, use the DP secondary instead because it can be more damaging and can also destroy their slime balls.

Brutes can be tricked into melee mode, or just headshot them with blades. Pupae is all about standing on a higher ledge and using the DP secondary fire or BioRifle "mines". Skaarj Troopers with Eightball and Razorjack are usually the weakest of the bunch - they are extremely predictable unlike the ones with Stinger, ASMD and Rifle.
ImageImage

Levelworm

Post Posted: 20 Aug 2012, 21:02

UBerserker wrote:The fun thing is that by dodging blades, the Razorjack would lose tons of value in direct combat against Skaarj/Mercs/Krall. Avoid using the Automag against the Slith, use the DP secondary instead because it can be more damaging and can also destroy their slime balls.

Brutes can be tricked into melee mode, or just headshot them with blades. Pupae is all about standing on a higher ledge and using the DP secondary fire or BioRifle "mines". Skaarj Troopers with Eightball and Razorjack are usually the weakest of the bunch - they are extremely predictable unlike the ones with Stinger, ASMD and Rifle.

Why do you say that they are more predictable? Just wondering. I didn't find fighting those troopers to be too difficult, except the stinger ones. As long as I keep moving, asmd/rifle troopers seldom hit me, but the stinger ones always hit me a lot.

But it all depends on the scenario, I assume. If there is little room to move around, they are all very dangerous. I think the eightball and razorjack ones are still dangerous when there is some room for maneuvering (I could be wrong as my memory mainly comes from mods, not the original games), but is stupidly easy if there is a large space. Same for the brutes/pupae.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 20 Aug 2012, 21:04

You can dodge their rockets and blades pretty easily, even in small rooms. Troopers generally suck with non hitscan weapons.

For the rest: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2292
ImageImage

Levelworm

Post Posted: 20 Aug 2012, 21:11

UBerserker wrote:You can dodge their rockets and blades pretty easily, even in small rooms. Troopers generally suck with non hitscan weapons.

Probably the mod maker of ONP improves the AI as they use a lot of guided missiles. I need to play more on higher difficulties to not be nervous when I see them :B . I think one of the reason that I find them hard to beat is that they strafe a lot and I waste lots of ammo. More practice then.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 20 Aug 2012, 21:14

There are no AI changes in ONP, maybe it's the UT Rocket Launcher that has a quicker auto-lock (and if there's one it is only a bit higher than the Eightball one).
ImageImage

Levelworm

Post Posted: 20 Aug 2012, 22:41

UBerserker wrote:There are no AI changes in ONP, maybe it's the UT Rocket Launcher that has a quicker auto-lock (and if there's one it is only a bit higher than the Eightball one).

Thanks. Does the rocket have higher speed? Doesn't seem so though. Just finished ONP on Hard, found that I'm a total newbie with razorjacks. :shake:

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 20 Aug 2012, 22:45

Only difference between the Rocket projectiles is the damage (85 for the Eightball, 75 for the RL).
ImageImage

Levelworm

Post Posted: 21 Aug 2012, 00:50

UBerserker wrote:Only difference between the Rocket projectiles is the damage (85 for the Eightball, 75 for the RL).

Thanks. Didn't realize that the dmg of RL is actually LOWER than the Eightball. After some pondering, I figured out that it is because in the original Unreal, I use the Eightball heavily (and I'm not good with it) and there are not many gunners around (first encounter in Nali castle?); while in ONP, there are so many gunners. :D

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 22 Aug 2012, 06:35

I dunno those troopers with those damn purple blades seem to tear me up.Unlees thats some online mod thing.
Just ban everyone

Levelworm

Post Posted: 23 Aug 2012, 04:20

redeye wrote:I dunno those troopers with those damn purple blades seem to tear me up.Unlees thats some online mod thing.

I've almost finished replaying RTNP:UE on Unreal difficulty, and the stinger gunner and ASMD gunner are truly horrible.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 23 Aug 2012, 04:47

Levelworm wrote:
UBerserker wrote:Only difference between the Rocket projectiles is the damage (85 for the Eightball, 75 for the RL).

Thanks. Didn't realize that the dmg of RL is actually LOWER than the Eightball. After some pondering, I figured out that it is because in the original Unreal, I use the Eightball heavily (and I'm not good with it) and there are not many gunners around (first encounter in Nali castle?); while in ONP, there are so many gunners. :D

The UT Eightball is also balanced primarily for multiplayer botmatches, so the lower damage makes sense in that context.

More reason to not use UT weapons in SP maps! They aren't balanced for it. :)

Levelworm

Post Posted: 23 Aug 2012, 06:05

Waffnuffly wrote:
Levelworm wrote:

The UT Eightball is also balanced primarily for multiplayer botmatches, so the lower damage makes sense in that context.

More reason to not use UT weapons in SP maps! They aren't balanced for it. :)

I do prefer the original weapons as they suit the map packs more.

User avatar Bombadilian
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord
Location: STILL hanging around the back of the Rikers wreck, wondering what the hell that buzzing noise is.

Post Posted: 16 Oct 2012, 21:29

If you found the Skaarj fights on the last few levels of Unreal too easy, perhaps you need to up the difficulty some. I found it (and still do) anything but easy.
"If that bitch in Cell 4A keeps looking at me funny, I swear I'm going to rip out her larynx!"

Previous