Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

Finished Deja Vu 2.0 on Unreal

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Levelworm
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject: Finished Deja Vu 2.0 on Unreal

Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012, 23:36

A brilliant pack indeed! Some fights are pretty hard on Unreal and there are a couple of times that I doubted if I could move on, but eventually I pushed through or sneaked through. The most fearful enemies are the Skaarj Troopers with Flak Cannon and ASMD. Some bosses are pretty hard too, say, the Mercenary leader took me 5 re-loads to kill without being seriously wounded.

My favorite map is "Palace of Chizra", lots of Skaarjs and the player has plenty of room to maneuver. And the architecture is beautiful. "Cellars of E'Nara" has excellent mood (the blue mist is the most beautiful scene in the whole pack). I also love "Fortress of K'etrith" as Castles are my favorite style, the fortress seems to be smaller than I thought, but fighting is satisfactory. All in all, a map-pack worths a replay, but I believe I have had enough Unreal for the month.

Thank you guys again for delivering this pack! Pity that we will never see the second project of UPS.
Power lays only in Darkness

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Re: Finished Deja Vu 2.0 on Unreal

Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012, 23:45

I wrote a crappy walkthrough for DV2.0, however I did a good one for Xidia Gold and Sky Town Reduxx. I'm making an EXU2 version of Palace of Chizra.

Now DV2 is nothing really special for me difficulty-wise. Map 15 is definitely the hardest, and not just because it has a bot fight...
ImageImage

Levelworm
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012, 00:54

UBerserker wrote:I wrote a crappy walkthrough for DV2.0, however I did a good one for Xidia Gold and Sky Town Reduxx. I'm making an EXU2 version of Palace of Chizra.

Now DV2 is nothing really special for me difficulty-wise. Map 15 is definitely the hardest, and not just because it has a bot fight...

Yeah I read your walkthrough after I finished the game. Also looking forward to play more of your maps.
Map 15 is the hardest as it has so many Skaarjs and I wasted most of the snipe rifle ammo in Map 14, so I still have 6 rounds, barely enough to kill the snipers. Map 15 also has little health (or that I lost too much) so I have to turn invisible on and cheese through the last part. I didn't fight the Titans and the last group of Skaarjs at all. The bot is actually quite easy, I just sniped him down.

BTW the most interesting boss, imo is the stone-throwing gasbag.
Power lays only in Darkness

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Post Posted: 02 Sep 2012, 21:38

Glad you enjoyed it! :tup:

I've replayed it many times, but I often quit around map 14 or 15... there's something about that last quarter of the pack that really doesn't work for me.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar SteadZ
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 02 Sep 2012, 21:59

I see what you mean...

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 02 Sep 2012, 22:06

Hellscrag wrote:I've replayed it many times, but I often quit around map 14 or 15... there's something about that last quarter of the pack that really doesn't work for me.

I've seen this from others too and I kind of feel the same way. I think it has something to do with the last few maps being kind of a difficulty spike from the earlier maps (with the arguable exception of Palace of Chizra) and feeling less smooth in progression as result (even if they are fine in themselves), compared to the earlier levels that are only a little tougher than Unreal itself for the most part.
Formerly Mman

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 02 Sep 2012, 22:19

The big problem I consider in the pack is Map 14, it's a complete step back in quality compared to the previous stuff. Map 15 is perfectly fine but I see it being tough for less hardcore players.
ImageImage

User avatar Frieza
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 04 Sep 2012, 23:55

I don't really get the hate for Maekhs map, I thought it was pretty decent

User avatar StalwartUK
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 07 Sep 2012, 03:07

Map 14's the one in the valley right? Those snipers sure can be a real pain... whoops, that's the next level.

I think I need to revisit this pack. Don't think I've played it since before UT3 came out.

Thanks guys for the nod you gave to me. :D :tup:
StalwartUK