Could be asleep, typing random messages instead.

StarGate: Talisman (SE)

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Dr.Flay
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject: Re: StarGate: Talisman (SE)

Post Posted: 09 Dec 2012, 23:07

Hmmm, too many choices !
I think I'll try the Russian version with Leo's translations as well.

The problems of hopping from server to server, may well soon be a thing of the past though ;)
Can't find the damned thread at ut99.org though!
keeping the players accumulated stats and awards across servers is being worked on as a server mod.
Also a way of dealing with a list of multiple redirects in-case the one you use is down, is also being developed.
I can see if that works, then we may also have a way of giving a list of potential "portals".
Obviously all the servers involved would have a couple of "portal" maps for server hopping, and the rest can easily be internal SG maps.
Maybe a player would have to work their way across the server to the exit map.

BTW. I am just thinking out loud, because no U1,2 or 3 engine SG mod has ever been fully completed, so I can't imagine for 1 second you'll ever see it in action.
The volume of SG related material created for Unreal is staggering, but everyone thinks their project is better than everyone else's, so no one works together.
Bloody typical, but to be expected.

NaPaliShore
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 12 Dec 2012, 05:59

I edited my first post from December 9, because the official download links for Stargate TLSE on the Czech site are now working again!
(see http://www.unrealeditor.cz/down_levels_uss.htm)

Also:
NaPaliShore wrote:there is also a 2009 Russian version (http://www.all4ut.ru/load/1999_unreal_tournament/mods/stargate_talisman_second_edition_2/3-1-0-11), which they refer to as "StarGate: Talisman (second edition 2)" - and who knows what changes they might have made?

... if someone has tried the Russian version, and confirms that it works fine and has some additional improvements (and if Leo's .int English translation files work properly with the Russian version), then I might try that one.

I just examined the files and folders of the 2009 Russian version, side by side with the 2005 official version, and here are some notes I took about how they compare:

Stargate Talisman - Second Edition 2 (unofficial 2009 Russian version)

Downloadable from this page:
http://www.all4ut.ru/load/1999_unreal_tournament/mods/stargate_talisman_second_edition_2/3-1-0-11

-- click the "Download" button
-- on the next screen, type in the 6 digit number (presented in outline characters) in the blank near the bottom of the screen, then click the green button with Cyrillic writing that looks sort of like "CKa4aTb"...

NB: This is an EXE (executable) file. Not sure what it does if you "install" it by double-clicking, so I played it save and right-clicked on it and extracted the files and folder using WinRar's "extract here" context menu option.

This Russian version seems to have started from a merging of the contents of the 2005 official stargatetlse.zip + utplay.zip files, after which they presumably made a few changes here and there, and added their own Russian .int translation files to the system folder.

Here are the differences I could identify between the 2009 Russian version and the 2005 official version, after comparing the respective folders side by side:

SYSTEM folder:
lionst03ammo.u -- same file size, but the Russian version has a Date Modified of 9/3/2009
lss1.int through lssg15.int are custom translation files made by the Russian team (19 .int files in all)
lsstaff01.u -- same file size, but the Russian version has a Date Modified of 9/3/2009
Texture0.pcx + Texture1.pcx + Texture2.pcx + Texture7.pcx are new files found only in the Russian version

TEXTURES folder:
stargate_rs.utx is a new file, found only in the Russian version (dates from 2009)

MUSIC folder:

Russian version contains exact matches of the combined .umx music files from stargatetlse.zip + utplay.zip (of official version)

MAPS folder:
branapr01.unr + branapr02.unr + branapr03.unr are identical in both versions.
All the 'lssg' maps are newer in the Russian version (from Sept 2009), and many or most have different files sizes, too.
So it is in these maps maps that most of the playability changes probably show up.

I probably won't have time to play through any of these versions till January.

It would be cool if someone could tell me what's different about Bob's version or the Russian version, compared to the original (official 2005) version.

Presumably Leo's translation files will work for all versions, but it would be nice to have that confirmed as well!

User avatar Dr.Flay
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 13 Dec 2012, 00:03

I still haven't got round to installing it (too distracted with 227 UEd).
I may add an SG page to my site, with as many resources and mods as I can find, as a current 2K4 mod is still developing.

User avatar Delacroix
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 14 Jan 2014, 19:05

OK, so:

The 2009 Russian release is the best: it offers balance, lighting and visual improvements and it also proves easier to handle as far as translation goes: I just now prepared English versions of the Czech/Russian textures and I'm currently investigating the Czech voices question. I approached Leo about this and I've learned that Lion has offered English voices sometime in the initial version from 2003. Should they be reacquired (or recreated otherwise), I'll make a complete all-in-one archive of the latest revision of the modification (which is the 2009 version) and the complete translation.
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

NaPaliShore
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 12 Oct 2014, 02:32

Delacroix wrote:The 2009 Russian release is the best: it offers balance, lighting and visual improvements and it also proves easier to handle as far as translation goes: I just now prepared English versions of the Czech/Russian textures and I'm currently investigating the Czech voices question. I approached Leo about this and I've learned that Lion has offered English voices sometime in the initial version from 2003. Should they be reacquired (or recreated otherwise), I'll make a complete all-in-one archive of the latest revision of the modification (which is the 2009 version) and the complete translation.

I'm thinking of replaying this pack again, this time using the 2009 Russian version. Is your updated archive available for download, with the English versions of the Czech/Russian textures, etc? If so, that would be great!

Previous