ividyon will never get this done, will he.

Flares

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Flares - leet or sh*te?

Poll ended at 08 Mar 2008, 13:02

Leet
84%
Sh*te
16%

Total votes: 25

XYZ8000
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 23 Feb 2008, 23:26

I always found them very useful for collecting the dust that lies in the inventory, as I use them only when I'm in a dark location and I'm attacked... but in the way they're meant to: in such situations I quickly browse through the Inventory hoping to find the SearchLight, I accidentally select the flares and I activate half of them before switching to the SearchLight. And the Skaarjs don't seem shocked seeing trails of red candles bouncing in their direction :(
They look nice, they have nice sounds, they have a nice bouncing effect... but for me they're just dust collectors. The DP is much more useful as a torch.
They would've been awesome as triggerable mines, having them exploding when shot (they do that now IIRC, but their radius is too limited) and with a much bigger explosion (it's TNT, damnit!)

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Feb 2008, 02:26

They appear in Xidia to be used as weapons.

Since enemies never seem to notice them, you can toss a bunch of them at the feet of a computer using Skaarj or some enemy who has his back to you and kill them without having to rely on your weapons.

User avatar Jblade
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Feb 2008, 11:19

I would like them more if they lasted longer than about 5 seconds. They're the opposite of the flares in Deus Ex which lasted longer but didn't seem to light anything decently. Is there a mutator or something which makes them last longer?

Although I have to say I do love chucking flares down the huge liftshaft in the Sunspire though :lol: If there's a dark well or pit and I have flares, one's being chucked down there.

User avatar Turboman
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Feb 2008, 21:27

I think they're an awesome addition, i didn't get to use them that regularly but in some situations they come in very handy, i recall tossing flares across dark corridors and corners/nooks to see whats there.

although i do feel the lasting time is insanely low, they should have atleast lasted twice of what they do now...

User avatar Hyper
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Feb 2008, 09:01

They can be useful from time to time. But calling them leet, nah.

ASMD + Amplifier. That's what I call leet.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Feb 2008, 15:13

I remember them being in 7B.. lasting forever.. (already laying around, burning till end of eternity.. :P )

I like them.. until you get the flashlight or searchlight of course, but even then, they look nice, they're cool, nice lighting.. just a "finished" item!
But yes, they light only for a few seconds... that's a pitty.
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Feb 2008, 16:50

My stance on flares should be clear.

Previous