Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

Most un-leet pickup in Unreal

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Most un-leet pickup in Unreal

Poll ended at 08 Mar 2008, 13:21

Flare
No votes
Jump Boots (3 charges)
No votes
Acoustic Dampener
No votes
Force Field
33%
Voice Box
67%
Other (specify)
No votes

Total votes: 24

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Feb 2008, 15:42

I like how the Unreal mappers realized that voice boxes were more useful as decorations than items (the UMS-Prometheus force field bridge in RTNP).

That said, I find the Force Field even more useless because it's not even comical the way the voice box is. I would add the Dampener just below that since I've never actually seen it work.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Feb 2008, 15:48

Voice Box (does it even work when used for its intended purpose?). Second is the Dampener, although I can at least see a use in multiplayer.

It might be pretty useless for its intended purpose, but the Force Field is vindicated by the few crazy shortcuts it allows.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Feb 2008, 15:53

The voice box is far more useful in multiplayer than the dampener.

The dampener has no purpose other than to be an excuse for something to look like a sci-fi dildo.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Feb 2008, 15:57

Hellscrag wrote:I quite like the Force Field, but agree that it is made useless by the fact that you can only carry one.

Example of where I've used it: In TheLanding3, where you climb the ladder onto the first big open green space and are attacked by Mercs from two directions. I use the Force Field to block the rockets fired by one of them and concentrate my fire on the other.

If you could carry several Force Fields and they were common items, they could be really quite useful. "Carrying multiple Force Fields" was something we were going to implement in BfNP, rather than leaving the item out of the game all together.

Does anybody else think that the mesh looks like it was designed to CONTAIN the player? That would make the item a great deal more useful - a temporary invulnerability shield (even if the player couldn't fire while using it).

I think the whole idea started as a good one. Maybe something they were going to implement it into the gameplay mechanics but the concept never got off the ground. Fast forward to Unreal 2 where they tacked on the forcefields a little too much...

While it does have uses (if rare), of all the items it seems the most "slapped on". It was as if someone decided that they had extra code lying around and they may as well shove another item into the list.

----

By the way, UB, on the Flare thing. 30 damage each+ 15 flares + enemies that don't react when a bunch of flaming sticks are at their feet = lolz

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 25 Feb 2008, 18:24

Mister_Prophet wrote:The voice box is far more useful in multiplayer than the dampener.

I hardly found an use for the VoiceBox if you drop it a nano-second after you get it. The Dampener is deadly against human players.
ImageImage

Previous