Could be asleep, typing random messages instead.

100$ prize/incentive for building an Unreal map idea?

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Nalisavior
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject: 100$ prize/incentive for building an Unreal map idea?

Post Posted: 02 Apr 2013, 02:44

Hello everyone, I'm sure a lot of Unreal gamers, like myself are itching to get their hands on new game content to play through. Its something about the game play of Unreal, that trumps other newer FPS games, that Im sure all of you understand. Amazing huge map packs like Firestorm, Residual Decay, and TCO seem so far away, and I've played through every custom map pack ,This awesome old school Unreal community has had to offer multiple times over , giving me countless hours of game play for the steal of a deal of 20$ for Unreal gold and UT99. I've tried to make maps myself to contribute to the community, but I'm not much on the technical side of things and failed miserably.

I always imagined creating a new and improved version of Nali mountain fighters from ONP. A single map with a large Nali fortress in the middle being assaulted on all sides by a Skaarj siege of the fortress (maybe something resembling Waffnuffys fortress map), with your Nali Rebels (No pacifists, except maybe some civilians) fighting alongside you in large numbers, Skaarj fighters bombing the stone walls, breaking them apart etc. There would be minimal level progression, Just the fortress and a small surrounding area, with attention to detail. The objective of the Map would be to survive the Skaarj Onslaught. And protect the Nali from their genocidal extermination (the Messiah). Now I do know that the Unreal community is very small, maps take a great deal of time to accomplish, We all have lots of RL responsibility's and the most experienced mappers left, are already busy on their respective projects, BUT I am willing to award 100$ (CAN) via Paypal online or a cheque through international mail .for someone to make this dream a reality.

Now forgive me if I'm wrong But would it be feasible for an experienced mapper to make a moderately simple, small, square, landscaped fortress map with the help of some scripted combat scenes within the work time of say, 5-7 evenings? (spaced out obviously) (Not a timeframe/deadline just estimated amount of time put into the map). I feel that If it was created, even though it wouldn't be my map at all, I could at least contribute to helping create new gameplay content for the Unreal community.

I know there's An 85% chance this is just going to be ignored and people are not going to believe that I would give 100$ for 1 custom Unreal map, but the reasoning behind it is, I just recently quit smoking and the money I would of usually spent for a carton of cigarettes (taxes are high in Canada) I would like to use as an incentive for someone to create an Unreal map dream I've had since 2008. I also don't mind because, when I look back on all the countless hours I've spent playing custom unreal content, I feel like it would be my way to give back. I hope someone notices this post and 100$ is a good enough incentive for someone to create this dream of mine. Happy Easter to you all. -Nalisavior
Last edited by Nalisavior on 03 Apr 2013, 02:46, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar []KAOS[]Casey
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject: Re: 100$ prize/incentive for building an Unreal map idea?

Post Posted: 02 Apr 2013, 10:44

edit: post unnecessary now!
Last edited by []KAOS[]Casey on 05 Apr 2013, 22:58, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar SteadZ
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 02 Apr 2013, 11:31

I'd love to say that I could do this for you, but I am already signed up to too many projects to take this on.
Sorry.
CC

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 03 Apr 2013, 22:23

Sounds like a lot of fun if done right. I'd do it if I could do it justice (or enough justice to be worth $100 :p)
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar Nalisavior

Post Posted: 05 Apr 2013, 00:26

I hope someone, takes me up on my offer... :|

User avatar UnrealGecko
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 05 Apr 2013, 10:59

Sounds like a nice idea. I love survival missions. If you accept a n00bish looking castle, poor terrain, unlimited time, UT support and that this would be not private (as in just for you), I could try for... uhm... free?
Deep cover GEcko!
My work for UT99: Counter-Strike VP, DM-XC-NaliTreeV2 (from the ut99.org Xmas Contest mappack)

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 05 Apr 2013, 17:51

I will do it for you free as well.
CONGRATULATIONS!
"They let us go about our business here, but it is a farce. I know that they are watching us, controlling us. I believe that this once safe haven is as deadly as the surface planet below."

User avatar Nalisavior

Post Posted: 08 Apr 2013, 06:48

Thanks guys, something resembling my idea for free would be awesome! :D

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 09 Apr 2013, 09:14

Hell, I am still working on a 5 year old monsterhunt, I lost it on a hard drive, and had to restart over again from an old DM map I made way back.

Why not get 4 people together, when the job is done they each get $25.00
Just ban everyone

User avatar Nalisavior

Post Posted: 10 Apr 2013, 02:17

As long as the map isn't completely noobish, there are scripted scenes, Nali allies to fight alongside you and there's some kind of story line, i'm happy giving out 100$ to any individual or group of people who build it. Good examples of what I'm looking for would be, ONP "Nali mountain fighters" "Skytown Redux" (too bad the Nali didnt actually fight due to script error :( ) or the battles with Nali allies in "Nali Chronicles"

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 10 Apr 2013, 11:51

Nalisavior wrote: the battles with Nali allies in "Nali Chronicles"

Ahh, good times, happy memories :)
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar Draco Nihil
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 20 Apr 2013, 09:11

I'm making something like your request, but it's in a post apocalyptic Earth setting, and you're fighting against raider arseholes alongside ex-army rangers.
“I am the dragon without a name...”