This is a test. Test! Consider yourself tested.

Cellars at Dasa Pass- gates won't open?

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Cynical
Pupae Pupae

Subject: Cellars at Dasa Pass- gates won't open?

Post Posted: 23 Jun 2013, 00:20

So, I'm replaying the original Unreal for the first time in years, and I seem to have run into a problem...

In Cellars at Dasa Pass, I've gotten the scuba gear, gone through the underwater tunnel marked with the diamond, and hit the lever, but the metal gates with the Brute patrolling behind them won't open. Is there something I'm missing, or is there just a bug and I'll have to ghost through?

User avatar Rarsonic
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject: Re: Cellars at Dasa Pass- gates won't open?

Post Posted: 23 Jun 2013, 00:48

I think that one is a toggling switch. Make sure you haven't accidentally closed the doors on your way back. I think that has happened to me more than once.

Cynical
Pupae Pupae

Post Posted: 23 Jun 2013, 00:50

It's a bug- restarted the level and it worked great (and yes, I thought of the toggle switch before I restarted; I tried several times, and it never worked).

If you alert the Brute before opening the doors, he'll sometimes block them from opening.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 23 Jun 2013, 05:46

I guess the gates are set to return or stop when encroach and that brute gets in the way. Hilarious how that bug still exists; I guess nobody ever noticed it during all the Unreal patch processes.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 23 Jun 2013, 12:37

Bug Horse wrote:I guess the gates are set to return or stop when encroach and that brute gets in the way. Hilarious how that bug still exists; I guess nobody ever noticed it during all the Unreal patch processes.

In fact it'd be interesting to know if the OP plays on Unreal 227; that might be the chance to fix that bug, if it hasn't been yet.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

Cynical
Pupae Pupae

Post Posted: 23 Jun 2013, 19:34

I'm playing the Unreal Gold version that's available on Good Old Games (since I lost my disk a long time ago).

Oh, btw, for those who remember me from a few years ago (which is probably no one), hi!

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 23 Jun 2013, 20:01

Cynical wrote:Oh, btw, for those who remember me from a few years ago (which is probably no one), hi!

The forumer who had a Cthulhu avatar I suppose
ImageImage

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 23 Jun 2013, 21:11

Cynical wrote:I'm playing the Unreal Gold version that's available on Good Old Games (since I lost my disk a long time ago).

Oh, btw, for those who remember me from a few years ago (which is probably no one), hi!

There is a new unofficial community patch, 227, available at www.oldunreal.com which comes with a lot of bugfixes and improvements. You should probably check it out, as it's compatible with Unreal Gold.

Also, hi!
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

gopostal
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 24 Jun 2013, 14:08

One of the things I consider essential for map exploration is a small bit of code in my coop mutators that adds the ability to stand near any mover and enter 'mutate open' or 'mutate close' and cause the mover to cycle. Even offline it just totally breaks my immersion if I have to ghost through something so it's nice to have that option to open stuck doors, lifts, etc. If you want I can excise that bit of the code out and post a small mut giving you that power for any server/offline game? Using that saves me pages of mapfixes embedded into my mutator since I can instantly control movers when mappers have messed up unforseeably.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 25 Jun 2013, 01:25

Does it respect the fact that doors may be locked until triggered? Or is it a mover skeleton key that will force a mover cycle no matter what? Cool idea though. I hate having to ghost through stuff.
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

gopostal
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 25 Jun 2013, 04:36

No, it does not matter if the mover is triggered, bump-opened, or relying on some other scripted event. If you command the mover to cycle it will cycle. The problem you can run into though is that event calls will not generate from the mover so other things that depend on it to notify them will not ever get that message unless the proper sequence is followed that would trigger the mover without cheating.

Used sparingly though it's a good way to explore a new map if you don't want to specifically follow the mapper's intended path. You can also easily check doors to see if they are decoration or functional.

User avatar integration
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 25 Jun 2013, 09:20

TheIronKnuckle wrote:I hate having to ghost through stuff.

Offline, you can also do the following:
1. Type into console: set mover bUseTriggered true
2. If you stand directly infront of a closed door, then use your Grab key (or type "grab" into console).