Could be asleep, typing random messages instead.

[227i+] UT map packs for Unreal

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar SteadZ
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: [227i+] UT map packs for Unreal

Post Posted: 26 Jul 2013, 09:33

The problem with the "smarter" AI in ONP, is that the skaarj and mercenary in the first map have ATTITUDE_TO_PLAYER set to HATE rather than IGNORE which is part of the problem... but, yes. Enemies should definitely not be seeing through brushes.
Also, .:..:'s attitude to this whole situation is complete shit. People have told him many times that he should make his changes the mods options rather than forcing the player to use them. He has decided to completely ignore these suggestions and only replies with things like:
.:..: wrote:It is my conversion and I do it the way I like.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 26 Jul 2013, 10:35

I take back my previous posts as I've just realised I don't fully understand the issue being discussed :=3
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 26 Jul 2013, 14:14

Regarding Prophet's post:

- "noone wants smarter AI instead of more maps"? What's the point of that statement? I'm sure if OU contributors could create new maps as easily/comfortably as they can code, they'd probably be doing that, but it just so happens that they're coders.

- Seeing through sheets does not translate to X-Ray vision, but translates to being able to see through masked and translucent textures sheets are typically used for, e.g. windows, grates and fences, which sounds completely logical to me. When/why would people use sheets for solid, non-see-through surfaces? Sounds like a much rarer case to me.

- The primary target audience for 227 is likely the co-op community (at least that's what I'm guessing), since that's Unreal's most active userbase. I can imagine users having complained about pawns being too dumb to see through fences or windows.

- The only problem in the existence of the feature lies in the fact that it's enabled by default and therefore breaks some things unless you fidget with the settings. Changing that would solve all the problems we are experiencing, and I believe if anyone seriously objected to the *option* of a smarter AI existing in the game, they'd just be just stark raving mad. Fidgeting with the settings to activate a feature that may potentially break things sounds like a much better idea to me.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 26 Jul 2013, 17:29

If they want to fix the AI, get them to figure out why bots or pawns will jump off high places, like a very high pillar.
Just ban everyone

bob
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 28 Jul 2013, 19:52

Project Zephon works nicely with this

User avatar []KAOS[]Casey
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 29 Jul 2013, 06:22

I can imagine users having complained about pawns being too dumb to see through fences or windows

This. That is a seperate thing though to my knowledge, the current problem is actually a bug with FMovingBrushTracker not being present {offline only?} and for some reason not blocking traces. Fixed for j, iirc.

There's one where pawns see through movers because of the brush tracker not being there for either online or offline, and the sight check thingamabob. The transparent/masked surface thing I believe is a trace flag option now. I wish we had a damn SVN or a huge changelog to look though..

I went a little nuts over this sight check thing when it was first introduced, I think it should be off by default, which as I recall, it is only on when you use a difficulty higher than Unreal/3. I don't really know anymore.

Previous