Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

UnrealShare Website [help needed]

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject: UnrealShare Website [help needed]

Post Posted: 23 Oct 2013, 21:45

So...this is something I've been wanting to do for a while now. Basically, I want to create a website with all the unreal content that is available...everywhere...all in one location...

This is obviously a lot of work and harder than it first seemed. So I am asking anyone with website coding skills or knowledge to help me in this matter. The website name will be something like UnrealShare.com or UnrealShare.net (see what i did there? credit for the name goes to Bleeder91 actually =P ). As I said, this will hold everything ever released for unreal, and it's own database so files from older sites don't get taken down and lost. Everything will be neatly organized, and there will be an easy search function to find anything in the database and website. (I want to try getting some sort of tagging functionality for files, so files can be tagged with authors, release dates, and other such meta-info that would be handy). Also, users will be able to sort files by name or title, release date, upload or added date, author, etc.

The main feature of this website will be the freedom for users to upload their own files to the website to be added to the UnrealShare database. There is new content being created practically every day, and it would be nice for people to upload their content. Of course, there will have to be certain checks to make sure people don't upload anything silly. Perhaps a group of admins or moderators that will receive a notification about a new upload, and manually check it out to authenticate it, before making it public on the website for everyone.

This is of course all in speculation and just my ideas right now. I've only built a very primitive and weak alpha website to sort of demonstrate this, using WordPress ( i know i know ) and some useful plugins I found to help with file database organization and sorting. I've only uploaded a few test files, nothing official. Again this is an example website, and a poor one at that =P

http://shivaxi.com/UnrealShare/

But yeah, any help would really appreciated. I don't want to let this dream die, and I think we could all benefit from it, despite this game being 15 years old and all...I don't find this project futile or pointless. Who knows, maybe we could get more blood into Unreal this way.

EDIT: to see the file sorting example I had in mind, go here: http://shivaxi.com/UnrealShare/downloads/patches/ It's currently the only page with any content pretty much.
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

redeye
Banned Banned

Subject: Re: UnrealShare Website [help needed]

Post Posted: 24 Oct 2013, 02:33

I think the logo should have filled in letters.
Last edited by redeye on 25 Oct 2013, 18:35, edited 2 times in total.
Just ban everyone

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 24 Oct 2013, 04:00

Hey man, good luck! If this works out it'd be great. It depends on the whole community getting behind it though seeing as it would be user driven. I personally would be very interested in something like the USP vault coming back, as it really sucks having to navigate a sea of dead links.

Also, seeing as you're looking for all unreal content ever, are you going to start with an oldunreal siterip? :P They've already got a pretty good library of stuff (even if it's not obvious what is what sometimes)
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 24 Oct 2013, 04:57

A place without all the pop-ups to download a file ?.
Last edited by redeye on 25 Oct 2013, 18:35, edited 1 time in total.
Just ban everyone

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 24 Oct 2013, 08:15

@redeye: The logo is just a temporary fill. Like I said, the current example website I have going is...well just that...an example =P

@TheIronKnuckle: "sucks having to navigate a sea of dead links" precisely why I wanted to do this website in the first place. It won't entirely depend on the users alone, as I plan to do a lot of the uploading myself. But I have to get a functional website first and all. If you checked the temp upload page, there's a category selection where it allows you to select where your upload belongs, aka in maps, or mods, or textures, etc. I want to further this so that you get a fill out form basically where you can put in the author, a description, release date, etc. The website would then automatically add and sort it once it has been approved by an admin/mod, since write now the current script I have running just takes all the files in a certain folder and displays them in a table with organizable options.
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar Draco Nihil
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 24 Oct 2013, 09:32

I would do something but PHP scares me and I've yet to pickup on that again myself.

You're also talking to someone who would just make something so bland and basic too. (Like making use of the httpd's default "directory listing" HTML for a "file listing")
“I am the dragon without a name...”

Smirftsch
OldUnreal Staff OldUnreal Staff

Post Posted: 24 Oct 2013, 11:06

TheIronKnuckle wrote:Also, seeing as you're looking for all unreal content ever, are you going to start with an oldunreal siterip? :P They've already got a pretty good library of stuff (even if it's not obvious what is what sometimes)

Yuk, don't siterip please, its a lot of stuff and I'd prefer to upload stuff somewhere instead. So if you want something that huge, let me know instead :P

But well, exactly what I am doing @ Oldunreal for years, is what you intend to do now, collecting everything, trying to preserve it. But TheIronKnuckle is right, it definitely is not obvious what is it sometimes and that counts even more for a lot of things which are not uploaded or integrated into the page yet. That exactly defines the problem with this kind of idea- you'd need to test every single crappy file, test it and find out what it does or meant to be. To often there are no readme files included, not even a single line of description how to use it etc. etc. - and without having any information about the files they are almost useless, because no one would ever find what he is looking for except he knows already how its named and what it does.

Maybe I am gonna put these files into the wiki some day, so that I don't have to do this work all alone, but tbh, the interest of other people helping me doing this work is pretty much 0, so this probably won't work out as well.

Nevertheless I surely will try to help with the resources I have.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 24 Oct 2013, 21:15

I'd like to help Shivaxi but I don't know much about web design. I can write stuff for it, however. Just PM me and lemme know.