UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

UNREAL BETA V88 - Network Play IN Action **SEE THIS**

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

xbryan2000x
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject: UNREAL BETA V88 - Network Play IN Action **SEE THIS**

Post Posted: 26 Jan 2014, 20:18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmugT1mBAKU

Also tested with the early 1998 beta but doesent work
So this is the only beta that has functional multiplayer

Unreal 88 First-Use Password
Name=Epic
Password=dj4ecrdciabcg7r

Heres how

Download this : Download Here
And Maps section will be there soon

1. Download Hamachi 1.0.3.0 Here
http://www.filehippo.com/download_hamachi/4536/

Join this server

NAME : UNREAL88
PASSWORD : 123

2. Select and host a map by running "Unreal.exe mymap -server" (without quotes and without extensions)

3. to Join a session run unreal.exe 127.0.0.1
*only put the hosts ip address in not that example*

Since UnrealEd.exe in v88 wont work sometimes
make the map using Unreal v0.867z Beta

BTW this can only run one level at first (you stuck in it unless theres a exit switch in the map)

Or you can do some deathmatch matches too ;)

I found this on my own using a hex editor

PLUS

Open Unreal.ini

and change
[DefaultPlayer]
Name=Player
Class=UnrealI.Male

to your own name and gender

[DefaultPlayer]
Name=xBRYAN2000x
Class=UnrealI.Male

User avatar GamesHarder
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject: Re: UNREAL BETA V88 - Network Play IN Action **SEE THIS**

Post Posted: 26 Jan 2014, 22:46

Very Good!
Unreal Alpha & Beta picture collection:
https://mega.nz/folder/elQjRQbC#FoFU4B8rIVl4LQP90-VBIw

"The years go by, but the search never ends"

User avatar Gizzy
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 27 Jan 2014, 01:15

I can't run the setup file under windows 8.1, 8 or 7 (even after setting compatibility mode)

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 27 Jan 2014, 02:34

I can't help but feel all these new maps made for old obscure engine versions are alienating most of their target audience. Surely it's better to make a new map on 227 using alpha/beta resources than it is to wrestle with the old and crappy versions of the engine.

I guess if it's just a personal exercise for the shitzandgigz I can understand, but still seems like a lot of effort that could be better spent elsewhere imo.
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar Gizzy
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 27 Jan 2014, 04:26

TheIronKnuckle wrote:I can't help but feel all these new maps made for old obscure engine versions are alienating most of their target audience. Surely it's better to make a new map on 227 using alpha/beta resources than it is to wrestle with the old and crappy versions of the engine.

I guess if it's just a personal exercise for the shitzandgigz I can understand, but still seems like a lot of effort that could be better spent elsewhere imo.

The old alphas are cool and stuff, but they're riddled with bugs (Don't even get me started with the godamn editor)

The package structure is reeeeeally weird though, I think it goes something like...subclasses of actor (Pawn, Light, Decoration etc) are saved as individual .tcx files (With further subclasses of these like BigMan, ArchAngel etc defined within the .tcx) then a .mac file compiles all these .tcx files together into a .ucx file. This was all before UnrealScript was implemented so everything is coded in Visual Basic, then I'm assuming the engine performs some wizardry on classes marked as "Intrinsic" and handles them at a much lower level (c/c++/asm)

Teflon

Post Posted: 27 Jan 2014, 04:52

TheIronKnuckle wrote:I can't help but feel all these new maps made for old obscure engine versions are alienating most of their target audience. Surely it's better to make a new map on 227 using alpha/beta resources than it is to wrestle with the old and crappy versions of the engine.

I agree. I don't see any point in making any serious levels for these protoypes. All of them are, quite frankly, awful compared to the final game. The 1996 prototypes that people like Bryan are losing their shit over are actually really bad from a technical standpoint. They're really barebones and don't have nearly half as many of the features that the final game does. If you think playing a version of Unreal whose enemies consist of broken Skaarj, Lesser Brutes, Tentacles and Mantas and the only weapons being the Automag, a weird Stinger and a shotgun sounds like a riot, then I don't know what to say. Even the 1997 prototypes, which are much closer to the final game, are pretty shite from a gameplay and graphical view and show how important refining is to making a good game. The lighting system in them makes me want to stab my eyes out.

I think betas are fascinating, but only for examining what was changed and how far the game was at the time the prototype was compiled. They're of historic interest, not something you should be making custom campaigns out of. The only "custom" content you should be creating are test levels to check out various pawns and a few import and export tests to see how the engine handles when material from the final game is imported into it or how material from the prototype handles in the final game.

Gizzy wrote:The old alphas are cool and stuff, but they're riddled with bugs (Don't even get me started with the godamn editor)

The package structure is reeeeeally weird though, I think it goes something like...subclasses of actor (Pawn, Light, Decoration etc) are saved as individual .tcx files (With further subclasses of these like BigMan, ArchAngel etc defined within the .tcx) then a .mac file compiles all these .tcx files together into a .ucx file. This was all before UnrealScript was implemented so everything is coded in Visual Basic, then I'm assuming the engine performs some wizardry on classes marked as "Intrinsic" and handles them at a much lower level (c/c++/asm)

The old file layouts are cool because they feel like they were designed by aliens that have never heard of file formats that make sense. I know it was WIP and all, but it was really silly.

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 27 Jan 2014, 14:19

Agreed with the above and TIK's post. A lot of the content can be used in packs for the final game, like Lightning Hunter's RtNP:UE, the three Return to Na Pali episodes, and Resurgence. Really, though, there isn't much of a point in making content for something that the majority of people in the community either don't have or can't use on modern machines, especially when so much of it has been converted to the final version of Unreal.

Leo(T.C.K.) has exported the level textures, original skins, and level geometry (I think). I've exported the models, changed the UV maps of the final models to work with the original skins, and modified the skins to work with Unreal's final creature models for those who don't want to waste space on extra models. I think Master_Unreal finished converting a lot of features to the final game, like the HUD. With all of that, there should be enough to make a pack that aims to make Unreal how it might have been, so why not do that? You won't be limited by the lack of features in the old builds, you'll have an actual audience, and it could be fun to play.

Teflon

Post Posted: 28 Jan 2014, 01:08

AlCapowned wrote:
Leo(T.C.K.) has exported the level textures, original skins, and level geometry (I think). I've exported the models, changed the UV maps of the final models to work with the original skins, and modified the skins to work with Unreal's final creature models for those who don't want to waste space on extra models. I think Master_Unreal finished converting a lot of features to the final game, like the HUD. With all of that, there should be enough to make a pack that aims to make Unreal how it might have been, so why not do that? You won't be limited by the lack of features in the old builds, you'll have an actual audience, and it could be fun to play.

I feel that you can do so much more with content from old betas than simply try and recreate everything. If you're making a new mapset, you can quickly code a new and very strong Krall that uses the summer 1997 skin to show that he's a tough son of a bitch. Doing a level where you infiltrate a Skaarj base? Add a few Brutes with the 0.83 Brute skin and say they're "unprocessed" Brutes that were recently made to add some flavor to the level. Resurgence is a good example of how you can creatively use old beta resources instead of just trying to recreate old betas.

xbryan2000x

Post Posted: 29 Jan 2014, 23:23

Im creating a post of my Project using beta resources
and i know its not good to make levels on a beta but
they are UnrealEd Versions they only had 1 map on it
but a testmap perhaps

Just Saying.

User avatar makemeunreal
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 31 Jan 2014, 07:29

I am sure I'll try this. Thanks for your work.
"They let us go about our business here, but it is a farce. I know that they are watching us, controlling us. I believe that this once safe haven is as deadly as the surface planet below."

User avatar Carbon
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 31 Jan 2014, 13:32

Its an achievement, so kudos for doing it! However impractical it may be, it is still cool to see, so thanks for sharing.

makemeunreal...looking forward to your project mate.