Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

What happened to Residual Decay?

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

SP2000
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject: What happened to Residual Decay?

Post Posted: 16 Feb 2014, 10:28

I remember hearing about it almost 9 years ago as one of the big upcoming packs with lots of new content. It looked really great but I haven't heard anything about it since then. Will it ever be released?

User avatar SteadZ
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: What happened to Residual Decay?

Post Posted: 16 Feb 2014, 11:18

Anybody else really sick of these kind of posts? Because I am...

Residual Decay no doubt will be released, we just have to be patient and wait for when it will be.

SZ

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 16 Feb 2014, 12:53

The Red Nemesis forums are currently private-only (Proph said that one day they'll open up again), the project isn't cancelled on the other hand.
ImageImage

User avatar Delacroix

Post Posted: 16 Feb 2014, 14:07

Actually I am not sick of these kinds of posts because they pop up for a valid reason. As UB stated, Red Nemesis forums are private-only. To public users, they essentially aren't there. Red Nemesis official site is offline as are the official forums. I know from Mister_Prophet that the project is very much alive, but without asking him first, I'd also assume it's dead, dead as it can be, so dead that it just can't be deader. Moreso, I'd also assume (if I hadn't known better) that the entire Red Nemesis team is inexistent, given the lack of website despite it being linked in Proph's signature, lack of official RN forums despite them being linked in Proph's sig as well. To kill off such questions and assumptions, some matters could use fixing, e.g. the official RN site, the forums and most importantly, updates to show that the project is alive. A single screenshot once per two months would be perfectly sufficient. A couple lines of commentary on the project's status. This isn't much and it's more than enough to show: we are alive, we are getting this thing done, we haven't abandoned anything. And yet there's none of that, instead there's a complete radio silence. No wonder that these kinds of questions pop up.
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 17 Feb 2014, 01:00

I disabled the forum discussions because I'd post pix, people would still make threads/ask questions like these, I'd post more pix and tons of info, then more new people not paying attention or bothering to read would ask the same questions whether the content was there or not and what my favorite color was, so what good did it do me to stress over forum maintenance? I'm also a pretty busy guy as some might know. The project simply has changed a lot throughout the years as I've lost team members, content got scrapped, ideas changed for the story, and things like me not being able to maintain the site on my own ect, so I thought that since I was spending more time managing info about the project than working on it I should just disable the forum until I actually have stuff for people to...you know...actually play. See the EXU subforums for a good example of what that should look like. The RN forums were most alive when people were actively playing 7B. After a while it was a lot of old info good for storage with the only new posts being, "hey bro wassup wit RD yo?" so I axed it until it would be useful for discussion again. That's what forums are best for, not to serve as an info dump because our site got froze up.

So yeah, if you ask me...I'll straight up tell you. Yes, I'm still working on stuff. No, I dunno when it will be done. I tease people with pix sometimes on chat and sometimes I let people beta test levels that they don't know are actually RD levels sometimes, but I don't see a reason to make any big forum hoopla until I actually have something to release...like with an actual window. Catch me on USP chat and ask me, I'll usually be lively and forthcoming, but that's where I prefer to discuss it for now. I've shown more pix than I'd care to account for so I guess I feel me showing pix just...well it's old hat. I'll make a fuss when I have real news.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 20 Feb 2014, 07:03

Personally I'm wondering what happened to deadcell. Longest speedmap entry ever! :P My assumption is it's getting merged with RD and the salvaged BFNP content
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

Post Posted: 20 Feb 2014, 16:33

Been on hiatus ever since I announced it was going on hold. Main problem there was that the bots wouldn't cooperate with the gameplay I intended in a way that looked like it might go somewhere, so I put it on hold until I came up with something from the drawing board. HUD looked great, maps looked good, had a few new items and we were perfecting the bleeding system when we stopped actively working on it. The project also boasted impressive voice acting for an Unreal SP. I've considered a couple of ways to salvage the project, one of which taking a lead from SP2D and making it a sidescroller, perhaps even true metroidvania. That idea I like best, but as of late Episode 1 of RD has taken up my attention.

User avatar ElectricIce

Post Posted: 20 Feb 2014, 17:01

Episode 1 of RD

Bam!

So, did I miss some info or are you planning to cut it up to episodes? :)

Post Posted: 20 Feb 2014, 19:50

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2387

^This thread was made to announce these developments and it is there that I made the first public declaration of RD's episodic status.