Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

USS Shiva, Iphigenia and references to other fictions

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: USS Shiva, Iphigenia and references to other fictions

Post Posted: 06 Jun 2014, 20:03

Just a little question about some trivia from Unreal's mapping history:

I realised that in Iphigenia, the protagonist (Unit 33751) is contacted by the Battlecruiser Shiva toward the end of the mappack, while in WTF Series 1 we have the USS Shiva from which you take off.
Is this a reference between both mappacks or is this just a coincidence? I am aware that Shiva is one of the summons in Final Fantasy (and is also a popular Hindu deity in the real world), so while Shivaxi may have named the spaceship Shiva in reference to his nickname, maybe Ultimate Weasel was making some kind of reference to other works.
Any thoughts? :)
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject: Re: USS Shiva, Iphigenia and references to other fictions

Post Posted: 06 Jun 2014, 20:15

I think Shiva is just maybe a common usage for names because it sounds cool and that is what happened. You would have to ask Ultimate Weasel for clarification but I do not have the impression that there is a direct connection. There's also the homage factor, where character names and cameos are seen in different packs but there are otherwise no direct connections, so it could be this also.

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 06 Jun 2014, 20:33

Yes the homage factor is indeed something that is often used in the form of cameos and such. In fact, I might add that I loved the way that you, Mister_Prophet, referred to Operation Na Pali in the story section of the ReadMe for Na Pali Haven Redux (which by the way, as in Xidia Gold, is a great read before the actual play).
Since Iphigenia came before WTF Series 1, I'd say there's a chance the "Shiva" name is a reference to something else or just a common usage as you said. I don't know whether Ultimate Weasel is still part of the community, I have read a lot from the forums and haven't seen any recent posts from him.
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

Post Posted: 06 Jun 2014, 21:59

You could ask Shivaxi then. Though I think it is just a coincidence.

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 07 Jun 2014, 16:09

Haha, wow. That's pretty funny, I had no idea about a Shiva battle cruiser in the Iphigenia mappack. It is pure coincidence that I named my vessel the USS Shiva, which I originally named from a variation of my own name + the Hindu god Shiva of course. I'm not sure I ever played Iphigenia, but I will now =) Thanks for bringing this up haha, interesting stuff
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 07 Jun 2014, 17:19

You're welcome! And thanks to you for the insight :) I really like these bits of trivia as they can give extra hints about the creative processes that took place in various works.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 09 Jun 2014, 02:54

Haha yeah, I used to fanboy something hardkorrë over inter-pack references. Mr Prophet might remember a series of PMs from back in 2007 where I was breaking down the connnections between ONP, 7B, Xidia, Unreal etc etc etc in such unnecessary detail that I was finding plot holes where there were none XD
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

Post Posted: 09 Jun 2014, 02:59

I vaguely remember those discussions. I hope I was polite.

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 09 Jun 2014, 23:27

TheIronKnuckle wrote:Haha yeah, I used to fanboy something hardkorrë over inter-pack references. Mr Prophet might remember a series of PMs from back in 2007 where I was breaking down the connnections between ONP, 7B, Xidia, Unreal etc etc etc in such unnecessary detail that I was finding plot holes where there were none XD

Hehe I think that's kind of sweet! :D I'm sure Mr Prophet was touched by how his works can impact us, even if we sometimes go overboard when analysing/interpreting stuff :wink: