This is a test. Test! Consider yourself tested.

Mine architecture

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject: Mine architecture

Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015, 08:57

Random thoughts in transit: How come the Mine levels look so distinct from anything else? They are Skaarj slave mines, yet they look more human than anything, bearing little to no reference to Skaarj architectural styles. They don't look like Nali structures, either. What's up with that?
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: Re: Mine architecture

Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015, 14:55

Presumably they're structures made by Nali slaves combined with Skaarj knowledge, so they're made of easier to acquire material (vs actual Skaarj stuff) that's still advanced enough to end up looking vaguely like present day designs.

Which probably still doesn't make any sense in real-world terms, but I'd guess the logic was primitive+super advanced=modern day
Formerly Mman

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015, 15:57

Centuries ago on the planet Gryphon, a peaceful race of creatures known as "Nali" erected gorgeous cities from the materials in the lands around them. They were able to build enormous castles that served as habitat, fortress, and mining colony. Unknown to most, Gryphon was one of the few locations in the known universe where the once-plentiful element Tarydium was in abundance. Huge underground deposits, and possibly the very core of the planet itself, of Tarydium had remained untouched for eons.

So I guess they were Skaarj-ified later.
ImageImage

User avatar ebd
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015, 03:05

I imagine that the Skaarj mothership was built with their preferred materials and conformed to their desired aesthetic design, as where the mine was built using whatever was available, perhaps adapting existing structures. The mine seems to prioritize function over form.

Either that or it was because the Skaarj hired CliffyB to design it.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015, 03:20

The simple answer is Cliffy B favors industrial levels. The maps seem human because his point of reference was human industrial, most likely.