Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

Fog causes massive FPS drop

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Tarydax
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: Fog causes massive FPS drop

Post Posted: 13 Mar 2015, 03:46

I've been switching between two computers lately since the one I normally use seems like it's going to be dying soon. The new one I'm using is a bit more powerful than the old one, but for whatever reason, looking at fog causes the FPS to drop significantly and to the point where the game is almost unplayable. This is a computer that can handle games like Borderlands 2, STALKER, Fallout: New Vegas, and Crysis 3 at high settings with no problems, but fog in the older Unreal games just seems to. . . disagree with it? The problem isn't nearly as significant in UT as it is in Unreal, but as far as I can tell, my settings for both games are mostly the same.

What settings am I supposed to change to reduce the problem? I've messed around with "SinglePassFog" and some other settings, but nothing seems to help. I'm kind of at a loss for what to do here. I'm guessing it'll end up being something really obvious, but I can't think of what it could be. :/

Here are my OpenGL settings:

► Show Spoiler

EDIT: I also realized that the FPS drop happens when I look at emitters in either game. This is odd, because from what I can remember, I didn't have any problems with emitter-heavy games like UT2k4.

^ Actually, that only happens when I have lighting enabled and only in certain areas that have emitters - not sure what the deal is there. BSP issue, maybe? ( assuming they actually affect framerate )

EDIT 2: Figured out it's not an emitter problem after all - the FPS drop happens when looking at a few trigger lights( :? ). Still haven't found any solutions to the fog thing, though.

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: Fog causes massive FPS drop

Post Posted: 13 Mar 2015, 08:54

This probably won't solve your problem but just in case I'm going to ask what type of graphics card do you have? OpenGL works best with Nvidia (which is what I have).

Also, you might want to try setting UsePrecache to False - I remember that when set to True it resulted in some textures having small "holes" in them (see end of this topic http://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3524 ) and could result in serious FPS drops on my end when there was fog (admittedly that was very rare though and nothing like you describe). Since UsePrecache is set to False, I've never had any slowdowns.
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

sn260591
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject: Re: Fog causes massive FPS drop

Post Posted: 13 Mar 2015, 10:01

Try D3D9, in my case it gave a little more fps, than OpenGL.