Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

The question nobody asked about the Unreal Universe

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Frieza
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 23 Jul 2008, 18:05

Rotting flesh :o

User avatar Kajgue
N-Team Leader N-Team Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 23 Jul 2008, 18:09

What would it smell like?

Prisoner 849s' convicted, bathless pits?
N-Team leader
The Silver Blades clan chief

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 23 Jul 2008, 18:35

Kajgue wrote:What would it smell like?

Prisoner 849s' convicted, bathless pits?

what about the Titan's armpits?
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 23 Jul 2008, 19:30

Darkon wrote:Nali armpits..

Darkon wrote:Titan's armpits?

Quite obsessed with armpits, aren't you! :P
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Taz
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Jul 2008, 14:31

Skaarj deodorant. :P

User avatar Psychomorph
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Jul 2008, 15:32

That's a good question. We got the visual representation and the sound in the game (sound beeing the most photorealistic), but no smell (no physical impact either).

Smell is kind of "important" to me, important in sense that I can enjoy smell of the air, or wood, etc.
The smell of air especially at dawn/dusk is the most intense for me (incl. sky), or after rain when the smell of grass raises.
When I go out in that time, the first thing I do is to take a deep breath (most intense because of contrast to the indoor air, the impression fades slightly if you are outside longer).
Seeing the dawn/dusk sky combined with breath always kind of gives me an impression or feel of Unreal (I usually get the urge to play it :D), infact often before playing Unreal I go out and take a breath (I play late and in summer the dusk is late, often about that time) and when I do play Unreal and see the nice skies and the suns I reflect the impression of fresh nature air in my mind and the enjoyment of the situation (even if a virtual thing) raises.

There is a map in Infiltration (UT), called "Atoll", it has the perfect sky at a dawn/dusk time of day, almost photorealistic, that makes a perfect atmosphere and of course the impression of fresh air (with a breeze of ocean, because it is an island map) just comes automatical for me.

I also like the look, sound and smell (not taste) of fire, those temple maps with the fire give me goosebumbs, awesome (temples are my favourite).

My favourite smell (incl. look, sound and feel): wood. My most favourite architecture in Unreal is wooden (temples often have). I also like the smelll of burning wood.

As for physical impact, well in Unreal maybe not but I usually play Unreal as an Infiltration soldier, with stamina limits and rather realistic movement pace and knowing how jogging (main movement in Infiltration) feels from real life I kind of refect that too and while I just sit there in the chair drinking tea, I feel healthier after a short game-jog knowing that I could beat that range in real life too. :D

Previous