UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

Unreal Classic crashes to desktop.

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar YappieChappie
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject: Unreal Classic crashes to desktop.

Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015, 05:33

I cannot get the game to start at all; it immediately CTDs. Even safemode crashes although it gives a different error message: something about 'FireTexture NALIFX.SHANEFX.TORCHES2'. (If it'd help at all, I could take some screenshots of the exact errors messages)

I was able to patch it to 227h, could it be the version? I'm running it on Windows 7 64-bit. UT seems to run fine (aside from some initial speed/sound issues, which I was able to fix), which makes it more confusing. Maybe it could be because I installed it off an extremely old Unreal CD?

Until I can get it running, I won't be able to load any maps that require 227. Out of curiosity I checked to see if they'd show up in UT/Oldskool, no luck. Guess they weren't kidding about the requirement.

User avatar ebd
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: Re: Unreal Classic crashes to desktop.

Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015, 06:35

you might try patching to 226 before patching to 227i.

bob
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015, 11:39

Try turning off data access protection in windows. That firetexure error is caused 99% of the time by having DEP turned on. It's in the Oldunreal wiki.

User avatar YappieChappie
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015, 18:41

ebd wrote:you might try patching to 226 before patching to 227i.

I did. Wouldn't even install 227 unless I had the 226 patch first.

bob wrote:Try turning off data access protection in windows. That firetexure error is caused 99% of the time by having DEP turned on. It's in the Oldunreal wiki.

That did it! THANKS!!