Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

Seems to have a bug in Unreal Gold

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

emgee
Pupae Pupae

Subject: Seems to have a bug in Unreal Gold

Post Posted: 08 May 2008, 15:38

Anybody remember this far back?

I'm playing Unreal Gold (Unreal 1) and am in level 7 (Ceremonial Chambers). My problem is I have found the first of the two levers in the underwater chambers, but it won't activate. However I butt up against it it doesn't seem to move. ihis means I can't open the bars to get to the second lever to continue with the game.

Anybody seen this and know a way round it? Otherwise can I turn the clipping off and sneak through the barred gate without repercussions later on?

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 08 May 2008, 18:33

That's strange.. I've played this on UGold and didn't ahve a problem, but.. that was a long time ago... :|
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 08 May 2008, 19:24

Sometimes movers get stuck. Just press Tab and type "ghost" to go through, then "walk" to hit the other lever, and repeat to get back.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 08 May 2008, 20:03

This bug first appeared, to my knowledge, when patch 225 came out years ago, but it's very rare (having said that, I do remember it happening to this very lever). Either restart the level from the Load Game menu or ghost through the barred gate as Waffnuffly suggested.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar ElectricIce
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 08 May 2008, 21:44

Could be also the Stupid ass problem with "Return when Enroached" and "Btriggeredonceonly" something like that, i mean that means alot of problems XD

emgee
Pupae Pupae

Subject:

Post Posted: 09 May 2008, 10:58

It's happening all over unfortunately. I did 'ghost' through the barred gate underwater in level 7 but that wouldn't move either. So, I strolled through the closed gate on 'Ghost' to reach the part with the raft. Then the button at the very end of the level wouldn't work. Then the 3 levers in Dark Arena to open the doors to the Titan wouldn't seem to work.

I downloaded the game from the Steam platform. That means I couldn't apply a patch to update it, as the installer asks for the original CD (is there a place I can download the original CD files as I do own a legit paid-for copy?). Could be that I guess, or a modern PC problem (XP SP2 on an AMD 3.2 GHz X2).

Maybe I should go back to basics and put my old Voodoo2 into my modern PC and find somewhere I can order the CDROM version...

Thanks for the comments, anyway, any more insights would be welcome!

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 09 May 2008, 13:55

emgee wrote:I downloaded the game from the Steam platform.

That totally explains everything.

I don't think that certain rigs can cause these bugs, never heard of this.
Can't you copy your Unreal files on an empty CD and use this new CD to patch the game? I don't know if it works with the Steam version though.
ImageImage

User avatar ElectricIce
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 09 May 2008, 15:37

try use Unrealdownload.com, P.S if this is a non legal site, sue me couse i don't know xD.

emgee
Pupae Pupae

Subject:

Post Posted: 11 May 2008, 16:48

Thanks, sounds worth a go.

In fact, about one in every 5 or so buttons doesn't work. So far, it's no mor than tedious, as nothing crucial has blocked me. For example, in the Research Lab thingy, the screens that turn off the power doodahs that let the silvery blob things at you work (otherwise I'd be a bit stuffed), but the button to open the crew quarters door in the same room doesn't. However, the crew quarter door does open to let you back out. Also, the translator has stopped working at screens, so I'm having to use the walkthrough from this site to get the instructions on where to go to do things that the screens give you.

Finally, it often takes 2 or 3 goes at loading the game before the video works smoothly (either in D3D or software rendering, which is fine with this fast PC).

All in all a bit tedious, but there you go.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 11 May 2008, 18:44

This all sounds very troublesome. Do you have UT? If so, the Unreal maps and music can be transferred over, and if you install the Oldskool mod you can play the SP map under UT.

The same can't be said for Return to Na Pali, mind....

Life is what you make of it.

emgee
Pupae Pupae

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 May 2008, 19:19

well i've ordered a CD now, so I'll pack this version in. :)