Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

Let's celebrate the music of Unreal

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Carbon
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject: Re: Let's celebrate the music of Unreal

Post Posted: 23 May 2016, 12:21

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 23 May 2016, 12:48

Carbon wrote:http://savagesteel.free.fr/unreal/

Already posted in the previous page.
ImageImage

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Post Posted: 30 May 2016, 23:45

Lightning Hunter wrote:
Hellscrag wrote:
Lightning Hunter wrote:One of these days, I need to manually convert all the Unreal tracks to MP3 using modplug...

I did all this some years ago. I split the UMXs into separate song sections and exported them individually, adding track data in Goldwave. They are saved as good quality MP3s and play in order of their occurrences in Unreal and then RtNP:UE. Perhaps you would be interested in having a copy?

Sure! Maybe Mediafire is a good host?

I'll try to sort something out soon. I've been having a pretty chaotic couple of weeks!
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Jigoku
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 31 May 2016, 00:04

Trying to get back into the swing of things.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 31 May 2016, 00:19

Jigoku wrote:http://savagesteel.free.fr/unreal/index.php?selected=unr

You're welcome.

THIRD TIME IN THIS THREAD.
ImageImage

User avatar Jigoku
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 31 May 2016, 00:23

Wait, really? I didn't read all of the thread... :oops:
Trying to get back into the swing of things.

UTupi
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Post Posted: 17 Sep 2016, 05:42

Funny how tastes differ. Some like the ending track, to me it's the only one I don't much care about.

I'm also with Carbon, can't listen to the music outside the game.

If I had to pick favorites, probably:
1) Mothership Lab. It's just so... celestial? I can't help stopping just to listen to it some.
2) Nyleve Falls. Maybe something to do with how it's the first music you hear in the game, also what a jaw-dropping sight the map was back then. But I love the rhythm and the strange feel of it.
3) Chizra. Just so eerie and atmospheric. Contributes a lot to the mystique.
4) Bluff Eversmoking. Just a perfect fit for one of my favorite maps.
5) Terraniux. For some potentially silly reason it gets stuck in my head.

Ironword
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject: VLC plays UMX files natively

Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017, 04:17

I know this thread is a little stale now, but just couldn't refrain from putting my two cents in. I agree, Unreal's music is absolutely fabulous. IMHO it's easily as important to the game as the mapping. It's the music that really seduces you--or at least me, at any rate--into the Unreal world. I will never forget being a new, uncertain and somewhat insecure graduate student, playing through Unreal for the first time in early 1999. I had already experienced that omigosh moment when you emerge from Vortex Rikers to see that unprecedented, vast sky wheeling overhead; and it's the music that really caps that instant as you're born into a brand new world. But the best was yet to come. It was ca. 10 p.m. and I had the lights out in my apartment so it was completely and very appropriately dark when I entered the mines of Rajigar. I emerged from the hallway and stopped to look around, and that lonesome, alien, eerie (but not horror-film dissonant) soundtrack kicked in. The sentry brute had just begun his patrol cycle, so I could hear the footsteps but he was nowhere in sight and I had a minute to take my bearings, soaking up the atmosphere with that haunting music--and suddenly, I was there. Then the brute returned and attacked. I've never been so deeply immersed in a game as during that map for that 45-minute session, before or since.

Don't remember which mod it was but a number of years ago I was able to use a mod to convert the UMX files to wavs, then I just burned myself a couple of CDs. One I labeled "ambient", for stuff like the Chizra and Rajigar tracks, and the other I labeled "drama". Used those for a while; they're still around somewhere but nowadays I just have the wavs on my computer. At some point I'll probably get around to converting them to mp3. But no one needs to do that anymore because the awesome freeware music player VLC plays UMX files natively (in addition to just about everything else).

Like previous posters I don't listen to this music the way I do normal songs, but I do sometimes use it as background when I'm reading a novel that fits. When I begin reading a section where it's obvious that a certain category of the Unreal music is appropriate, I select the most relevant tracks, drag 'em into VLC, loop 'em, and settle in. The most recent candidate was Brandon Sanderson's Way of Kings, the first book in his new Stormlight Archives series. Good stuff. I'll probably pull out the music again when I get around to the second book (which has been published for awhile now; third book is due at the end of this year, so I guess I'd better move it).

Previous