This is a test. Test! Consider yourself tested.

Improved Seven Bullets concept

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Twisted
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject: Improved Seven Bullets concept

Post Posted: 26 Jul 2016, 18:10

New Map

Towards The Flame

After finishing off the Terran Pirates, Jones has to travel through the abandoned and polluted Harobed region. Various wildlife are scattered around the area, fighting to find a new habitat. To make matters worse, a Skaarj reaction force arrives in response to the blackout at Outpost 1J, and they are hunting down both Jones and the Scarred One in revenge for slaughtering the Bloodpack. They are led by a Red Nemesis, who is destined to personally claim both the Scarred One’s and Jones’s heads as trophies.

Jones will have to fight most of the critters he's dealt with previously, such as Flies, Tentacles, Mantas, and Spinners. He will also fight Predators and Titans.

Skaarj Troopers will include the Special Forces, Soldiers and Commandos; the latter two using their Xidia skins. There will also be Skaarj Warriors of various types, including Skaarj Seekers and Praetorians. This will be the only time in 7B where you get to fight Skaarj Warriors other than the Scarred One.

Jones will be able to regain the Shock Rifle, Plasma Rifle, and Grenade Launcher in this map. He will also come across the Chaingun(if playing on Unreal). These weapons will help him deal with stronger enemies, such as the Titans and Praetorians.

Map Changes

Seven Bullets

• Flares will be at the start alongside the other supplies. The number depends on the difficulty; 10 on Easy, 7 on Medium, and 3 on Hard. On Unreal, there are no flares.
  • Around the corner where the Skaarj Commando bursts through the door, a standard Brute will be standing guard.

Infiltration of the Kran

• At least one Lesser Brute patrols each corner of the corridors. A Brute patrols the cargo room.
  • In the hallway, two Brutes patrol the first corner. At the end of the hallway, a Behemoth will stand guard. After turning on the power, a Jaberwock will spawn at the beginning of the hallway, near the vent where the two or three Skaarj Commandos spawn from.
  • At the corridor that leads to the control room, there will be a Lesser Brute patrolling.

The Rogue

• The Scarred One will now have 2500 HP.

Familiar Odds

• Three Flies will come out of the hole that bursts open instead of one.
  • Squids inhabit the water alongside the Devilfish.

The Lost Passage of Vandora

• Flies appear in various areas.

The Guardian at Vandora's Pass

• Spinners are present in the room with the bucket.

Enemy Changes
The Scarred One

• The Scarred One now has resistance against some damage types: 5% for Pulsed, and 10% for Explosion.
Last edited by Twisted on 22 Dec 2016, 05:15, edited 2 times in total.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Re: Improved Seven Bullets concept

Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016, 18:57

Felt like I was reading a BI/G59 style patchlog.

No Happy Endings from Grand Theft Auto V.

Lol. That's literally against a polluted and destroyed scenery. Harobed in 7B is as fucked as Noork.

I'm definitely sure the Bloodpack forces were supposedly limited on Na Pali and had no Brutes at all (the reason why they weren't added in 7B is probably because Proph thought Brutes just looked like too lowpoly and shitty and wouldn't fit the mappack). Scarred One literally killed the remaining of the Bloodpacks, their Lord was also killed and I don't think there were any Skaarj ready to land on the planet.

Flares are useless when you have an infinite Flashlight.

No idea for critters. 7B wanted to be different from usual Unreal packs, with more of the goofiest and more fantasy-like creatures being not in.
ImageImage

User avatar Twisted

Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016, 22:46

UBerserker wrote:
No Happy Endings from Grand Theft Auto V.
Lol. That's literally against a polluted and destroyed scenery. Harobed in 7B is as fucked as Noork.
FYI, No Happy Endings has an action segment that plays in the later missions of GTA V(and a slightly toned down version when you have a five-star wanted level).

The Flashlight is infinite, but has a smaller radius, while the Flare can light up a certain area.

Also, if the Flies were redesigned, then why weren't the Brutes?

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016, 22:59

Flares can statically illuminate an area, and Kran areas are pretty cramped so a Flashlight is just enough. I'm pretty sure 7B didn't need any item other than the Flashlight and the Translator. Adding Flares in will very likely not make a difference. Just make the Flashlight better instead.

Flies weren't re-designed, they just had a skin color change.
Their model aged much better than the Brute ones. I recall Prophet saying in another thread (back in the old forums, he asked which creature would need a remake) that he wanted a complete makeover for Brutes because he considered them ugly.

Honestly, you're suggesting to change all the maps that played fine in 7B instead of the pirate ones that sort of killed the campaign. Just a week ago I played 7B and Coop and bots are even more awful to fight there.
ImageImage

User avatar Xanious
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016, 01:07

I wouldn't mind a fanpatch that makes the pirates not all aimbotting motherfuckers. Seeing Harobed all polluted and destroyed like Noork would be cool though.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016, 03:01

So, is this a plan for something you intend to make?

A lot of the described changes are really... weird. Particularly the incredibly unfitting music for your proposed new map, and details like "room X now has 2 enemies of type Y". You're mostly describing minuscule changes which would change almost nothing about the general experience.

What were the goals you had in mind when writing this?
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar zYnthetic
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016, 06:44

Twisted wrote:Brutes?

The Jones saga has its own lore that extends past the events of Unreal. Over the course of Xidia, skaarj stopped using brutes in favor of androids, and later, hybrids. By 7Bullets they've suffered a series of massive losses (Unreal, NaPali Redux) and no longer have the strength to occupy Na Pali. All that's left are remnants with no support and no subordinates.

The whole trilogy is very different than most custom maps/packs set in the same universe. The popular thing seems to acknowledge the events in Unreal and either run in parallel to avoid incorporating the consequences or rewrite the narrative by underwriting those events to have little to no consequence.

User avatar Twisted

Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016, 15:48

UBerserker wrote:I'm pretty sure 7B didn't need any item other than the Flashlight and the Translator.

And the Rations. 8)

Also, the only thing I find useless in 7B is the Quadshot V8. The only parts worth using it at are the Spinner Lair and the second and third Scarred One fights. Using it on Terrans is suicide, especially considering that most of them carry it. The Flechette Cannon also becomes rather useless when fighting Terrans.

ividyon wrote:Particularly the incredibly unfitting music for your proposed new map,

Is it unfitting because it's from a game involving crime?

If you ask me, the name "No Happy Endings" kind of emphasizes with the fact that 7B ends with a rather pyrrhic victory for the USM.

ividyon wrote:What were the goals you had in mind when writing this?

Well, I remember a thread discussing a sort of remade RTNP back in 2008, I recall one post mentioning more Marines. I assume RTNP: Ultimate Edition became the incarnation of those ideas(with pirates instead of Marines).

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016, 16:06

Twisted wrote:
Is it unfitting because it's from a game involving crime?

If you ask me, the name "No Happy Endings" kind of emphasizes with the fact that 7B ends with a rather pyrrhic victory for the USM.

It just doesn't fit with the game atmosphere, and it's completely different from the other 7B songs. It doesn't even fit Unreal in general.
Polluted Harobed is going to be like the barren land of death and silence, and only silence can describe better that place after all the chaos with Skaarj and Pirates is fully done for.

USM did win but it was hardly a nice ending. All of Jones' allies that landed on the planet were no more, with Jones seeing his best friend dying in front of him, leaving him traumatized (becoming a key plot of Residual Decay).
ImageImage

User avatar Twisted

Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016, 21:38

UBerserker wrote:USM did win but it was hardly a nice ending. All of Jones' allies that landed on the planet were no more, with Jones seeing his best friend dying in front of him, leaving him traumatized (becoming a key plot of Residual Decay).
That's what I'm saying. The USM suffered heavy losses from the pirates and the Spinners. Jones managed to destroy the pirate organization and retrieve the data template, but got injured by the Scarred One(who also contributes to the USM's casualties because he killed three Marines in the lost passage).

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016, 01:29

Is this a concept proposal? Because that's what I'm reading it as.

Several years back I gave my consent to an "outside party" to work on a port version of Seven Bullets intended for the 227 Patch for Unreal. If I'm recalling correctly, it was an effort to remove oldskool dependency and make the campaign more compatible for Unreal, sans the UT requirement. (The project was never completed)

This is the only time I remember being okay with something like this, since it did not change the core campaign or levels (flaws and all) but was aimed simply at people who either preferred Unreal over UT for SP campaigns or for those that weren't playing UT for whatever reason.

Over the last ten years I've tossed around the idea of making a "Special Edition" of Seven Bullets that would add some of the cut concepts I couldn't implement in 2005. I've also had several people approach me with various ideas to do just that, or ideas similar to this. I've pretty much shot them all down.

The campaign isn't perfect but I'm fine with it. I'd rather people let the campaign be and leave Jones to me. I'd like to see more people put their energy into new campaigns and levels because that's what Unreal needs and that what this community thrives on :o

bob
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016, 02:18

there is a working 7b campaign with oldscool + modded files for 227 as of last year

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016, 03:32

Well, there you go.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016, 10:45

Mister_Prophet wrote:The campaign isn't perfect but I'm fine with it. I'd rather people let the campaign be and leave Jones to me. I'd like to see more people put their energy into new campaigns and levels because that's what Unreal needs and that what this community thrives on :o

HD remasters of Unreal campaigns lol
just like gaming today
ImageImage

User avatar Twisted

Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016, 14:31

Mister_Prophet wrote:Over the last ten years I've tossed around the idea of making a "Special Edition" of Seven Bullets that would add some of the cut concepts I couldn't implement in 2005. I've also had several people approach me with various ideas to do just that, or ideas similar to this. I've pretty much shot them all down.

Oh yeah, I remember reading something about that, especially the idea of Drago having a deep voice. The concept here is how Seven Bullets would be if it was re-released, like Illhaven and Project Xenome.

Anyways, the reason I suggested a new map was to show how Jones got to that pit in Oraghar to deal with the town's trademark homicidal, cyborg Skaarj. He'd basically travel through the polluted Harobed and eventually reach Oraghar.

Since GTA V's No Happy Endings has been ruled out, I've suggested new song choices from Area 51:

Next