A random sentence for a random mind.

correct nali chronicles alchemy numbers?

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Ironword
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject: correct nali chronicles alchemy numbers?

Post Posted: 30 May 2017, 03:04

I've decided to give NC a try. However, Mister Prophet's review here (legacy/community/reviews/nalichroniclesfull.html) includes the following statement:

Eventually you get an alchemy book which tells you how to make everything...
or so it seems. When I tried to mix according the way described, I found that
either my items did not fit the containers the instructions told me to use, or that
the cocktails failed to work. According to other sources I've talked to, the
numerical values listed in the alchemy book differ from the number of each
individual item.

I'd like to have the option of mixing my own potions--sounds fun--and Mister Prophet also says, "If you wish, there is extensive documentation provided outside the game to help you out". I'd like to be thus helped out. However, I did various permutations of web searches involving such terms as "nali chronicles" and "accurate" or "correct" and "proportions" or "numbers", and never ran across any such "extensive documentation" on this issue. Might anyone here have a link?

TIA.

User avatar SteadZ
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: correct nali chronicles alchemy numbers?

Post Posted: 30 May 2017, 11:24

There is a manual provided with the mod - that's the "extensive documentation".

One of the basic features explained in the manual is the fact that when you use an item - you can tell the game to stop using it whenever you like in order to avoid wasting it (by pressing the use key again).

This is what you have to remember when you make potions.

For example:

When making a Healing potion bottle you have to use 6 measures of DaStook Leaves, and 19 measures of Healing Fruit Essence. A single DaStook leaf fills up 4 measures, so use two but stop the second one halfway to fill 6 (then all you need to do is just use Healing Essence until it fills up the bottle entirely).
Your finished potion should look like this:

Hope you find this useful!

SZ

p.s.
The Alchemy book mentioned by Proph is found in-game - it gives you all the measurements (in case you weren't sure).

Ironword

Post Posted: 31 May 2017, 11:41

SteadZ wrote:when you use an item - you can tell the game to stop using it
I got that that when I went through the tutorial. Thx for explaining it more fully, though.

SteadZ wrote:There is a manual provided with the mod
- that's the "extensive documentation".
Hmmm, that bites. The review states that the in-game alchemy book is inaccurate; I was hoping that the "extensive documentation" would give the correct numbers, but the manual gives no numbers at all.

I get what you're saying about 6 measures of DaStook Leaves and 19 measures of Healing Fruit Essence, and making sure you get the measures right by pressing the key to stop pouring at the right time so you don't use too much. But Mister Prophet says that when the alchemy book tells you "6 measures of DaStook Leaves and 19 measures of Healing Fruit Essence", or whatever, it is in fact wrong. So being careful with your measures in the way you've recommended won't do any good. The numbers have to be correct right at the start or nothing's going to work. And I'm a working stiff who only has a half-hour average on the odd evening to play. I don't have time to do a bunch of experimentation to figure out the right numbers like Mister Prophet says you have to.

So: does anyone who did figure out the right numbers have 'em handy? If not, I guess I'll just ignore the alchemy. Seems a shame, but se la vie. So thanks to SZ for the response, but if anyone else has the right measures, I'd be right grateful.

User avatar SteadZ
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 31 May 2017, 15:47

Ah, apologies, I thought you were unsure about the process.
It's not the numbers that are at fault here, it's Mr Prophet.
He has misunderstood the numbers as meaning actual number if items used rather than measures on the bottle (he more or less states this himself in the review).

So just disregard what the review says and follow the alchemy book - you have actually grasped the meaning of "measures"! :lol:

SZ

Ironword

Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017, 03:19

SteadZ wrote:He has misunderstood the numbers as meaning
actual number if items used rather than measures on the bottle

Ah so! Wow, that would use up a lot of extra ingredients. I'm surprised he managed to scrounge up enough to actually attempt a potion!

Thanks for clearing that up.