This is a test. Test! Consider yourself tested.

Mysterious Nali Chronicles Potions

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Ironword
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject: Mysterious Nali Chronicles Potions

Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017, 09:55

And by the way, I've picked up potions whose uses I can't identify. I've drunk both bloodlust and vitality potions (picked up as inventory items) and tried to pay special attention to my speed and power in combat, but can't tell an iota of difference from normal performance. Does anyone know what these are supposed to do?

Ironword

Subject: Re: Mysterious Nali Chronicles Potions

Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017, 01:07

Further experiments show that sometimes--not always--the bloodlust potion (aside from giving you health) forces you to fire your current weapon whether you want to or not until the bloodlust timer runs out.

Still can't figure out what Vitality does. And no, figuring out stuff like this is not part of the game's fun, or at least logically it shouldn't be. In this campaign you already had a bunch of training prior to the beginning, so you should know what all the potions do already. Indeed, in the review here at UnrealSP one of the reviewers ignored these potions precisely because there was no documentation on them. So I'm not alone in being annoyed at this.

But don't get me wrong, I'm very much enjoying this late find in the twilight of Unreal 1's career. Lots of fun to be a kick-butt Nali!

wwof
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017, 21:35

It's been a while since I played NC but I seem to remember that Bloodlust was a potion that increased the damage dealt to enemies and Vitality increased your resistance to damage.
Two of my favorite spells were Magical Lake and Whirlwind. I took great pleasure ntroducing Skaarj to the man-eating squid in the Magical Lake spell. Have you got the Nali Rabbit yet? He was a real hoot.

Ironword

Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017, 03:14

wwof wrote:Bloodlust was a potion that increased the damage dealt to enemies and Vitality increased your resistance to damage.

I'll take your word for it, though it's hard to know how you'd be able to tell, especially with vitality. Once I drunk enough vitality potions to max out, my vitality level never went down, so there would have been no way for me to test that. (Just actually finished the campaign two days ago.)

wwof wrote:Two of my favorite spells were Magical Lake and Whirlwind.

Great minds really do think alike. I found those to be the most consistently useful spells throughout the whole game. The reviewers both mention that everyone thinks the shiny green skaarj ca. map five (don't remember exactly, but it's fairly early for a super-boss) is a terribly unfair contest, but I found it a piece of cake by slamming him with three magic lakes. He could survive two sessions in the pond, but not three. It's easily the most powerful spell, pound-for-pound, in the campaign. Raging Skies and Meteor Strike are more powerful in absolute terms but are made mostly useless as you must be outdoors to cast them (they won't work in even the most cavernous indoor spaces).

I used whirlwind a lot too, when I was running away from a group of pursuing enemies. The lake was great for single super-powerful foes, but it would only snare one at a time. If I was facing more, I'd find a bottleneck and drop three or four whirlwinds and have fun watching the baddies bounce around like pinballs! Great stuff.

wwof wrote:Have you got the Nali Rabbit yet? He was a real hoot.

The rabbit was funny, though I lost him once (at around the fifth map) and had to replay to get him back.

I really have to say that overall this is one of the best user-made campaigns I've had the pleasure to enjoy. Kudos to the developers.