Could be asleep, typing random messages instead.

install hi-res skins to both UT and Unreal?

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Ironword
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject: install hi-res skins to both UT and Unreal?

Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017, 09:38

I just need confirmation that the UnrealHD hi-rez skins should be installed to both UT and Unreal if you use both. I have the "Totally Unreal" release which installs both UT99 GOTY edition and Unreal Gold, and I use both, and have installed the S3TC textures in both. I prefer UT/Oldskool because I can use Nali Weapons 3 that way, though you have to be careful to limit yourself or you'll destroy game balance (but I digress--that's a whole different issue). Unfortunately you can't play 227i maps in UT/Oldskool--e.g. stuff like Wasserburg Eusebius (not sure I spelled that right) won't open in UT. So I find myself using my Unreal Gold install about 25% of the time, and that's not inconsiderable.

So--am I correct in assuming that I need to install the hi-res skins to both my UGold and UT? After all, you have to install the S3TC textures to both games. But before I go ahead and make some really monumental mistake, I thought I'd better ask, as the readme does not consider this scenario. Instead it seems to assume that a user has either UT or Unreal but not both.

User avatar Lightning Hunter
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: Re: install hi-res skins to both UT and Unreal?

Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017, 10:24

Unless "Totally Unreal" does something strange like install Unreal and UT99 in the same folder - then yes, you need to install UnrealHD to both u227i and UT99. They should be two separate folders that have nothing to do with each other. 8)
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

Ironword

Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017, 12:47

Thanks for the confirmation. Thought so, but I've been burned sufficiently often by such situations that I'm pretty skittish anymore. Very much looking forward to this!

Ironword

Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017, 03:38

Reporting back, I have to say that I'm quite impressed. When I found myself face to face with a devilfish I decided to put myself on Fly just so I could sit there for a minute and ogle that awesome stingray-skin texture you created around the head.

BTW I have to tell you about a hilarious issue that arose after installing your mod in UT. Here's what I did: after installation, I promptly fired up the game, went to the Oldskool mutator list, then scrolled down the list. I soon came to "HD Skins", thought "Oho, here we are," then duly selected and double-clicked. As I began playing a map I couldn't actually see all that much difference with the skins, but what I did see was that instead of pupae jumping at me from the shadows, ASMD cores were nipping at my heels! Yup, ASMD cores hopping about, hissing and spitting, and getting really angry--but not doing any damage.

WTH? I went back and read your readme very carefully to see if I had missed anything, and you've probably already guessed it. I also had that early alpha version of the mutator still installed (though no longer activated) which you had made available last year in thread http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/ ... 28/158#158. And that's the mutator I had added to the list: "HD Skins" as opposed to the final version, which is, of course, "Unreal: HD Skins". As soon as I removed the alpha version from the mutator list, deleted the older files from System, and did up everything right & proper with the final version, the pupae were back to their old nasty selves again. (And the skins really began to rock!)

But lemme tell ya, it was a real Monty-Python moment when those ASMD cores first began hissing and hopping after me! Best whimsical laugh I've had in weeks.

If you want to have the same moment of amusement but can't replicate the result, it's probably because I have a ton of other mutators in my Oldskool activated list, and it could have been a funky interaction with who-knows-which of them.

User avatar Lightning Hunter
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017, 04:16

Hehe, glad you figured it out! I've seen crazy bugs such as that in the past that made me crack up as well. When models are out of place, it can be quite amusing... An ASMD core in place of a Pupae must have been interesting. :P

Enjoy the skins!
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

Ironword

Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017, 04:39

Enjoy the skins!

I certainly am! Thanks again for such a monumental effort.