This is a test. Test! Consider yourself tested.

Translations don't work

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Ironword
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject: Translations don't work

Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017, 10:34

Just wondering what I'm doing wrong. I've attempted to play three different sets of maps by non-English-speakers for whom Delacroix and/or Leo CTK (and a few others sometimes) have very kindly provided translations: AltarENG, SestrelEN2, and most recently StargateT_SE2. But whether I open them in UT or Unreal 227i, the translator messages are all still in the original language. And yes, the *.int files are placed in System.

Since these translated translator messages obviously work for other people, there's got to be something I'm not doing right--some setting or other I need change in UnrealTournament.ini or some such issue. Might anyone know what the problem is? Many thanks for any advice.

(I asked this question over on OldUnreal ten days ago because that's where I got the maps, but as I haven't gotten an answer yet it's pretty clear nobody over there is going to respond. If nothing can be done, I'd at least be grateful to know so I don't go on wondering WTH about the issue.)

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject: Re: Translations don't work

Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017, 16:17

This is a shot in the dark, but you don't have your paths set up to not look in your local \System\ folder and instead look in an external folder for your .u and .int files, do you? It would be somewhere in your UnrealTournament.ini under [Core.System], the Paths= variables.

In fact looking at mine, I don't see one for .int which seems a bit odd, and mine is still the default, more or less. Perhaps you need to specify a Paths=../System/*.int line manually unless you have an international version of UT? I'd give that a shot, but otherwise I'm not too familiar with the localization stuff beyond that .int files control them.

Have you opened up the .int files themselves (just text files) to ensure they have their requisite [Public] sections with all the goodies intact?

Ironword

Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017, 09:37

No, I just checked the INI for Sestrel and it simply has the following....

Code: Select all

[LevelInfo0]
Title="Successful Shotdown"
ZoneName=" "

....followed by a bunch of translator events. That's it, no [Public] section. Unfortunately, I can't fix it because don't know syntax for INT files.

I'm willing to learn. Did a web search and found viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2790 and https://ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3625&start=15 , but both of those threads simply assume that you know the syntax already; they don't tell you about it. So I'm stuck. Could you point me to some doc where INT file syntax is explained so a total noob can understand it?

User avatar Lightning Hunter
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017, 09:58

Where is a download link for these translations you are referring to? I can take a look at them. I am currently successfully seeing the translations in Redeem Your Space, and the int files only have stuff like this:

Code: Select all

[LevelInfo0]
Title=Madehiten - Chirzed Temple

[TranslatorEvent6]
Message=Be blessed warrior. But before you open the passageway to the mystic mountains to the circle of the gods.. Be aware that the evil is really powerful, therefore be well prepared.
M_NewMessage=Book on the altar
M_TransMessage=Book on the altar

But perhaps something is missing in the other translations. I need a link to look at them.
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

Ironword

Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017, 03:56

First off, let me just say thanks a ton for helping out.

OK:
you don't have your paths set up to not look in your local \System\ folder and instead look in an external folder for your .u and .int files, do you?

As a matter of fact, I was putting these maps in a folder different from the main System dir. I use the system described at https://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=5540 and as part of that I have a separate "Custom" folder with its own set of standard UT subfolders, including System. That's where I install my custom maps so I don't clutter my main install with a bunch of extraneous stuff. In UnrealTournament.ini I have paths for everything, and it usually works peachy.

But rereading your post, I've just moved the *.int translation file out of the Custom hierarchy and into the main UT system dir (just the *.int, not the maps), and lo and behold, the English translations now appear in the translator.

What's the reason for this behavior? I have a specific path specified in UnrealTournament.ini that reads "Paths=../CustomUT/System/*.int". Why doesn't it work for these translations? Why do they work when in the main system folder and nowhere else?

AND if it's because of the way the *.int files are written, I'd still very much like to learn what headers to put in the file so it'll work when placed in my custom directory. When I get around to playing Redeem Your Space, that's a whole lotta fileage with which I don't want to mix up my main System directory. I took a look at them, and they're just named after the various levels. That's a problem for my organizational goals. If they had a common prefix e.g. Redeem1, Redeem2, etc., that would be fine because it be easy to select and delete the *.int files after finishing. But as it is, these translation files will get all mixed up among all my other System files, a much bigger pain to ferret out. I'd rather just keep them all corralled in my custom hierarchy. So is there something that can be done in the *.int to make that work, and if so, where can I go to learn about it?