Scout-kun is a lie... right?

Unreal/UT just fine on Windows 10?

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Unreal/UT just fine on Windows 10?

Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017, 17:24

I am wondering if my Unreal OpenGL and Unreal Tournament EXUOpenGL installations would experience problems on Windows 10?

I have a new rig, wanted Windows 7 and of course it's proving to be a bitch to install 7 on it because mouse + keyboard fuck out due to 7 not recognising USB 3.
SO
While I may be a bit of a grognard and I will continue trying to have it my way, I may accept having a go with Windows 10.

Any problems to be expected with these games?

Thanks for any feedback!

You're welcome to tell me why you think I really SHOULD use 10 instead of 7, by the way. I use Mac for work now, so Windows is just for my (mostly very old) games.

EDIT: using a AMD Ryzen with GeForce 1050.

EDIT2: for your info: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20758568038 (I might try this)
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

watcher_of_the_skies
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject: Re: Unreal/UT just fine on Windows 10?

Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017, 17:34

Well. I don't like Windows 10 and I'm not really forced to use it anyway. I don't really care the performance drop it may cause (new hardwares aren't fully supported in W7 I guess).

I gave it a go, even tried to be so nice and upgrade it. It failed. Didn't a like a bit of it. It became unstable, while my laptop has an 6 years old Windows 7 install that has never been patched,upgraded and it works fine. I had no problem with it. Did never use antiviruses too.
I should mention that I don't play games expect the Unreal series, don't use torrent etc.

Windows 7 was more suitable for Unreal too. Had no problem runnin' different beta/alpha versions, while it was a pain in the eyes on W10.

I'll stick to W7.

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017, 17:40

I replaced my Windows 7 with 10 and haven't noticed any differences in my various Unreal and UT installs.

I can't give you any good reason to use 10 over 7 aside from staying up to date when Microsoft pulls support for 7, though. 10 has been a pretty big pain for a number of reasons - it's been less stable than 7, slower than 7, and it introduced some serious latency problems with online games that took forever to fix. It doesn't offer anything that makes me think it was worth it, and if I could go back to 7 I probably would.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017, 18:38

Had zero problem with Unreal on Windows 10 (at least nothing that wasn't in 7+ anyway). Actually I haven't had any speed issues with Unreal installations since then too, but that could be down to other things like newer hardware handling it better or something.
Formerly Mman

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017, 18:51

Thank you MMU, AlCapowned and Semfry for your replies!
Sounds like I shouldn't have to stop myself from trying to play/map on Windows 10. Especially if getting Windows 7 installed is gonna take a while longer.
But, also in light of what was said, all the same I will fight for a proper Windows 7 install on my new rig!
In any case since my HD is already partitioned and none of the previous OS installations work due to the change in hardware, I will likely simply have 10 on one partition and use it to get the required drivers for the 7 install on another partition.
The things one will do for hobbies :P
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar Diego96
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017, 20:21

Judging by my short experience with W10 and using a Ryzen 5 1600 I didn't get the desired performance in it (some of the most demanding mods in 227i work below 60fps) and now my installation is infected with Ramnit.J and I want to disinfect it somehow. But, it's not my main place to play Unreal so I don't really mind.
M'nali

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017, 15:29

Diego96 wrote:Judging by my short experience with W10 and using a Ryzen 5 1600 I didn't get the desired performance in it (some of the most demanding mods in 227i work below 60fps) and now my installation is infected with Ramnit.J and I want to disinfect it somehow. But, it's not my main place to play Unreal so I don't really mind.

Thanks for the feedback! Another motivating factor to get my Windows 7 install up and running.