UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

Need Help: Mouse problem with Unreal Gold

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Jim Royal
Pupae Pupae

Subject: Need Help: Mouse problem with Unreal Gold

Post Posted: 16 Jul 2008, 04:53

I'm revisiting Unreal SP for the first time in years, and I'm encountering a mouse problem. I'm hoping someone can help.

The mouselook function is behaving oddly. It's almost as if the game thinks the mouse is a gamepad. The view is swinging around wildly, even with the mouse sensitivity set to 0.1. There's a small zone in the center of the screen that allows me to point the character properly, but if the pointer moves out of that zone, the view drifts faster and faster out of control, and I end up staring at the ceiling or floor, unable to correct the view. The game menus are similarly difficult to use.

This problem seems familiar -- I seem to remember hearing about it when Unreal was newer. I cannot remember what the fix was.

I should say that I'm running Windows using VMware of Mac OS X. The mouse is a Microsoft Laser Mouse 6000. The game runs perfectly aside from the controls issue, with a terrific frame rate, so I think that the fact that I'm running Unreal in a VM is probably unrelated, especially since I am sure that I heard about this problem years ago.

Any suggestions are welcome.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 16 Jul 2008, 15:15

First of all: welcome to the forums!

As for your problem.. did you also check the ini file.. is the mouse sensitivity the same as what you have in the menu ingame?

How sensitive is the mouse outside of the game.. in the VM Windows?
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

Jim Royal
Pupae Pupae

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Jul 2008, 01:33

Darkon wrote:First of all: welcome to the forums!

As for your problem.. did you also check the ini file.. is the mouse sensitivity the same as what you have in the menu ingame?

How sensitive is the mouse outside of the game.. in the VM Windows?

Thanks very much, Darkon.

The mouse behaves perfectly well in Windows, outside of the game. Acceleation, speed, clicking... It's all fine.

The INI file does have the sensitivity setting that I put in the game, but this is not a problem with sensitivity. It's that the mouse is not behaving like a mouse, when in the game.

For example, when playing, if I move the mouse to the left, the view turns to the left. If I stop moving the mouse, the character continues to turn to the left. I have to move the mouse to the right to get the character to stop turning left. It's as if the game thinks the mouse is a joystick or gamepad.

I'm really puzzled.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Jul 2008, 11:23

Maybe Unreal does think it's a joystick.

What type of interface does your mouse use? Serial, PS2, USB?
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Jul 2008, 14:30

Hellscrag wrote:Maybe Unreal does think it's a joystick.

most likely USB since it's a mac.

There are settings for the mouse in UT.. dunno if it's also in Unreal actually.. but still.. it shouldn't be a mess like that.
A related question to Scrag's: is it a cordless mouse?
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar kea
SP2D Leader SP2D Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Jul 2008, 14:57

Hellscrag wrote:Maybe Unreal does think it's a joystick.

Then, turn off joystick support in ini file.

Jim Royal
Pupae Pupae

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Jul 2008, 19:17

Well, I managed to solve my own problem. It was an issue with VMWare. The problem came from the mouse integration between Windows and Mac OS, which allows for drag and drop between the two environments. When I disabled mouse integration, Unreal was back to normal.

I think I'll duplicate the VM and optimize one for gaming and the other for work.

Thanks anyway, guys! Perhaps this information could added to an FAQ somewhere on the site?

p.s., I'm pleased with the performance of VMware for games, and I hear future versions will be better. The processing overhead is not too great -- I'm getting 50 fps in the Timedemo at 1600x1200. I should check to see how many cores the VM is using (I've a four-core machine).