Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

SPLIT: Unreal vs. UT weapons

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Jethro
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Jul 2008, 22:42

UBerserker wrote:Try again.

What for? You can't change my mind, I don't even want to try to change yours. You like Unreal weapons - your choice.
UBerserker wrote:Story: totally guessed that Skeletor was the thief.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Jul 2008, 23:29

Jethro wrote:
UBerserker wrote:Try again.

What for? You can't change my mind, I don't even want to try to change yours. You like Unreal weapons - your choice.

:) Everyone has his/her own opinion about the weapons. No big deal.. just curious what other people's opinion is... No need to change someone else's opinion, altho you may point to certain ways you would use them against certain enemies...

as for the dispersion pistol.. I never use it when I have another weapon. I just don't trust it.. it sounds/feels/looks too weak. (altho I hear good reviews of it against enemies..)
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Jul 2008, 23:55

Darkon wrote:as for the dispersion pistol.. I never use it when I have another weapon. I just don't trust it.. it sounds/feels/looks too weak. (altho I hear good reviews of it against enemies..)

If you'll master it, changing weapon wouldn't be needed anymore. It tops everything about usefulness (but not power).
ImageImage

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Jul 2008, 00:50

It's important to keep things in context to the mods and levels being played. For example, Xidia uses a mixture of U1 and UT guns, some altered slightly. I always was rather happy with how we selected the loadout for our Xidia arsenal. We took the best from UT and the best from U1 and fixed all the loose ends so that in SP, everything worked together. Truth be told, there's really no way anyone can say that one set is better than the other. It's not the style that counts, it's how you use it.

And above all else, it comes to preference. Personally, my years honing my skills in UT make the faster UT variations more likeable, but there are always U1 variants I prefer when playing SP. Not because of look or feel, but because of functionality. Something as simple as the enforcer not having a reload makes me disable it through oldskool.

User avatar -Visc-
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Jul 2008, 02:26

UBerserker wrote:The Pulse Gun secondary is only good against Bots, while the Ripper has no use unlike the RazorJack.
Try again.

That statement clearly shows that you dont know how to use it properly.
I am not interested in a ''I like this guns better'' discussion, but I cant resist to answer to such a statement.
The first firemode of the pulsegun is useless unless its very close quarter and dodging is hardly possible, its the same story with the ripper blades, but if you dodge right and left twice a second and enemies are at medium range secondary firemode just dusts any other weapon. The pulse beam does as much damage as the minigun per second without the inaccuracy of the bullets unless its so close that all the minigun bullets hit the opponent. And if thats the case you already screwed things up. The pulsegun's secondary firemode is in fact nothing more than a minigun with secondary firemode with 100% accuracy and the same practical effective range.
There is also the trick to move foward and backward in a rapid manner to dramatically increase the damage dealt to enemies with secondary firemode, I havent tried it on human players, but it works on bots perfectly.

The 7B pulsegun is even better, touch an enemy with the beam for two seconds and hes gutted and fried - ready for barbecue.
BBQ-Gun would be a better name than pulsegun.- But 7B weapons are a completely different story. :tup:

Its always the same story, even in real life, dont blame the gun if you cant handle it properly. I've seen so many people or better idiots dont know how to shoot a gun properly always blaming the gun and selling them for half the price. And some time later they always find out that it was their fault because someone else shoots bullseyes all day long with their ''screwed'' gun.

I know, opinions are like buttocks, everyone has at least one. :lol:

User avatar GTD-Carthage
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Jul 2008, 03:22

LOL ALL WEAPS SUX! PSI WEAPON DREAMS IT BESTLOL!

Honestly, I believe no set is better than the other. I don't think UT's weapons are trying to be "improvements" of U1's but instead, trying to be better performing in multiplayer. I personally don't like maps that mix weapons of the same type (such as U1 Flak + UT Flak) but there is a good place where what weapon applies. (U1 Rifle headshot spree w00t! \o/ )

In general, I think that U1's weapons look more "medieval", a style I'm sure Epic intended especially with the variety of FPS weapons during Unreal's time. UT's weapons on the other hand have a more modern and high-tech look to them. So it's definitely just a matter of taste to who likes what. I will fully admit however that I'm happier finding UT weapons in Monster Hunt (okay, okay it's multiplayer but its combat is still relevant to some extent) over U1 weapons for most of the time but it's negotiable. (With the Skaarj Hunting Rifle making an immediate exception :P )

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Jul 2008, 10:28

-Visc- wrote:I know, opinions are like buttocks, everyone has at least one. :lol:

Exactly. So I'm free to say that I mastered every weapons :B

I hope you're talking about their efficiency in MP, because on that I can agree. Human dudes are weak to everything.

In SinglePlayer no, sorry, the Ripper and the Pulse Gun are hardly as useful as the other guns, and I already explained it. They miss a real function. <- Like both Minigun weapons.
Also, I'm not taking into account the 7B Plasma Gun "UltimateBotKillerMK" which kills everyone on sight, and every other custom weapon.
ImageImage

User avatar Feralidragon
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Jul 2008, 16:38

Well, about me, I like both, but I like some UT ones better, with the exception of ASMD and Razorjack.

UT ones look better and feel better to me, but Razorjack has that homing things and I like it's 2nd fire mode more than the Ripper itself.

The ASMD, is better in the effects, and the combo looks much more powerfull than the ShockRifle from UT.

That's my personal opinion, but of course I am ready to hear your thoughts about it. :tup:

Previous