Did you know? All of these messages will likely be replaced before release.

Unreal 1997 Beta?

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Skaarj22
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Nov 2007, 23:35

The version I have (dot's version) doesn't have easily accessible difficulty options (and neither do most custom maps). Also, I doubt it'd fix some things, such as the superhealth in the second map. But anyway, I got it to see how different it was to release version, and it is extremely good in that regard.

User avatar Mick.B
Banned Banned

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Nov 2007, 23:40

Open mapname?difficulty=3 for example.

But still a conversion does not represent difficulty in the real beta, where used to be a different damage system and the pawns had different health.
Last edited by Mick.B on 30 Nov 2007, 23:42, edited 1 time in total.

Skaarj22

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Nov 2007, 23:42

Like said in previous post, I did not download beta for any particular difficulty reason. I just want to see how different it is. However, maybe I'll try that anyway. Thanks.

User avatar Mick.B
Banned Banned

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Nov 2007, 23:44

Skaarj22 wrote:Like said in previous post, I did not download beta for any particular difficulty reason. I just want to see how different it is. However, maybe I'll try that anyway. Thanks.

This command is for the conversion damnit, do you understand me? Just open it with a command :
"Open mapname?difficulty=3"

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Dec 2007, 00:02

Not trying to be a judge here, but could you please calm down and actually read what people are saying, Mick.B? I guess Skaarj22 perfectly understood what you meant to say but isn't interested in actually executing the command, because he didn't download the beta for the difficulty but for the differences between the released Unreal maps and their beta counterparts!
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Mick.B
Banned Banned

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Dec 2007, 00:08

I am calm, it was a more of a joke than anything. And he's posted it before I edited the last message so.
Originally I had there only:
Open mapname?difficulty=3 for example.

And you ARE trying to be a judge here. :P
[size=0]I am still joking, don't take that too personally then. :P[/size]

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Dec 2007, 00:32

sana is right tho. Be careful when you joke like that, since a lot of people can take it the wrong way.

As for teh beta.. it has some things that the conversions don't have, like the nali priest (beta skin & speech) and the chameleon for example..
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar zYnthetic
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Dec 2007, 06:56

Skaarj22 wrote:As a side note, how did this get leaked?

iirc, by someone @ 3dfx during an E3.
Happens all the time.

User avatar GTD-Carthage

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Dec 2007, 08:25

I remember reading an article a long time ago on Electronic Gaming Monthly magazine where about 3/4ths of all developed content for HL2 in Valve's headquarters was hacked-out, stolen, and swiped away therefore delaying their development time. :P No idea if it was leaked.

Skaarj22

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Dec 2007, 13:05

Hehe... I'm a major fan of Half-Life and Half-Life 2. From what I know, I think it forced them to throw out a lot of their original work.[/quote]

User avatar Turboman
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Dec 2007, 14:00

GTD-Carthage wrote:I remember reading an article a long time ago on Electronic Gaming Monthly magazine where about 3/4ths of all developed content for HL2 in Valve's headquarters was hacked-out, stolen, and swiped away therefore delaying their development time. :P No idea if it was leaked.

It was leaked, Infact it gained quite an upstir. I still remember the days when everyone around me was passing around copies of it.

and its not uncommon for game alpha's/beta's to leak out, the valve incident involved them not securing their files properly :P But probably the most common leak is with video card/hardware vendors that often get a pre-alpha release to optimize the game/video card with eachother (this way quake2/quake3 was leaked aswell, by ati employees i believe). Or just the promotion team going out for a snack during an expo ;)

I should probably mention that none other then Bill Gates has an early copy of unreal aswell, as was mentioned in the Gamespot "blinded by reality" article iirc :P

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Dec 2007, 22:51

Turboman wrote:
GTD-Carthage wrote:I remember reading an article a long time ago on Electronic Gaming Monthly magazine where about 3/4ths of all developed content for HL2 in Valve's headquarters was hacked-out, stolen, and swiped away therefore delaying their development time. :P No idea if it was leaked.

It was leaked, Infact it gained quite an upstir. I still remember the days when everyone around me was passing around copies of it.

and its not uncommon for game alpha's/beta's to leak out, the valve incident involved them not securing their files properly :P But probably the most common leak is with video card/hardware vendors that often get a pre-alpha release to optimize the game/video card with eachother (this way quake2/quake3 was leaked aswell, by ati employees i believe). Or just the promotion team going out for a snack during an expo ;)

I should probably mention that none other then Bill Gates has an early copy of unreal aswell, as was mentioned in the Gamespot "blinded by reality" article iirc :P

Yes, the HL2 leak.. I thought I read somewhere that they caught the guy. (They invited him.. and arrested him at the airport when he arrived)

As for Unreal copy for Mr. Gates.. yeah, I read about that as well. And that it was a BIG beta or something and that a lot was cut from it. Dunno if that's all true (how would they know?)....
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Dec 2007, 23:21

Darkon wrote:As for Unreal copy for Mr. Gates.. yeah, I read about that as well. And that it was a BIG beta or something and that a lot was cut from it. Dunno if that's all true (how would they know?)....

Yep, that one is true. Is the latest beta of Unreal, having stuff of any sort.
ImageImage

User avatar GTD-Carthage

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Dec 2007, 00:45

That means its Bill Gates fault to why us Unreal fans are miserable!

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Feb 2008, 06:55

lol, now there's one beta that will never be leaked. Bill gates has robotic security guards patrolling his property right? At least they will be running windows, when they start going into infinite loops we'll have a chance to swipe this BETA from him.

still..........

Previous