Scout-kun is a lie... right?

Unreal religions and deities

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject: Unreal religions and deities

Post Posted: 12 Jun 2009, 00:24

Hello, oh you lore keepers and map pack players among us,
can you perhaps help me with a little story-related thing? To make up a good story for a potential project (lol like I'll ever get anything done) I need to find out what deities and holy creatures exist on Na Pali, what races are related to them, places where they are worshipped et cetera. This includes gods from official Unreal lore and gods invented for map packs. Can you help me out?

I think I know of the following:
- Gods of Good Lore (group, including Chizra)
- Chizra, Water God (chizra.unr, related to sliths?)
- Vandora (lightning, quad boobs)
- Velora, God of War (related to titans and the coming of the Skaarj?)
- Sky Demons (Skaarj)
- Eelhandra (uh)

Please help me extend and correct this list.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Re: Unreal religions and deities

Post Posted: 12 Jun 2009, 00:46

Let me see:

Gods of Good Lore (group, including Chizra)

The only official GOGL is Chizra. I don't even remember if the official game mentions Vandora into the group.

Not official group of the GOGL from Scrag: Chizra, Vandora, Eelhandra, Ch'atharoth (whatever is called) and Velora (but went away from the group).

Chizra, Water God (chizra.unr, related to sliths?)

The Nali think that Chizra sent the Slith to invade the temple because of their sins.
As for the Slith themselves, there isn't a single piece of truth about who they really are.

Vandora (lightning, quad boobs)

Sky too, probably.
In many custom maps she's always the main protector of the Nali.

Velora, God of War (related to titans and the coming of the Skaarj?)

Unofficially called God of War.
Nothing about the Skaarj. As for the Titans... it may be an official thing or not. Any place related to Velora (assuming Dark Arena it's about the war-like past of the Nali) has Titans in it. Beta Aztec had a Titan too.

Sky Demons (Skaarj)

As always.

Eelhandra (uh)

Not official. God of Earth.

There's the unofficial Ch'atharoth (best name ever, Scrag) who's the God of Fire and spawned Gasbags.
ImageImage

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Jun 2009, 15:32

Depends how official you want to get. I remember that NC had a map talking about the gods (bunch of 'new' ones).....

As for Sky Demons, again, depends how far you want to go. Those are not deities/gods or anything, but just the way the Nali saw them. (in a religious way)... same for their messiah (=you as player).

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Jun 2009, 16:52

Don't forget Nali Jesus in SkyBase :p

It's clear to me that the Nali are supposed to have as diverse a religious landscape as we do. Though there's only a few unofficial deities mentioned in the game, I'm fine with other people making up their own, as it doesn't seem like Epic created a bunch and then forgot to mention them. They probably left it open (like many things about Unreal) to the players' imaginations.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Jun 2009, 18:43

There's this Droth from Beta Soledad, but there aren't any info about him. And Jrath, the badass Skaarj God.

No info about Eldora. And I remember someone calling Dasa an evil goddess of some sort (and I'd agree perfectly).
ImageImage

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject: Re: Unreal religions and deities

Post Posted: 12 Jun 2009, 18:44

sana wrote:- Gods of Good Lore (group, including Chizra)

Yes.

sana wrote:- Chizra, Water God (chizra.unr, related to sliths?)

As UB says, the Chizra / Slith connection could just be the Nali trying to rationalise the presence of Slith in their temple. The Unreal user manual describes the Slith as "amphibious cousins of the Skaarj", which could work, but doesn't explain the widespread presence of Slith in Terraniux.

sana wrote:- Vandora (lightning, quad boobs)

Indeed. To say anything more is supposition. My own fiction's / maps' expanded mythology also has Vandora as goddess of air, because I wanted to use the four traditional elements of Earth, Air, Fire and Water.

sana wrote:- Velora, God of War (related to titans and the coming of the Skaarj?)

All we really know is that Velora is a Nali god of some description whose temple contains nasty traps and lava pits. The name "Velora Pass" suggests a connection to the Titans, and there's a strong resemblance between Velora Pass and Dark Arena, both of which have the look of old relics of a warlike past for the Nali - hence the supposition that Velora might be a god of war or death.

sana wrote:- Sky Demons (Skaarj)

Sky Demons refers to the Skaarj and their hangers-on. The Beta introduces the concept of a Skaarj god, Jrath.

sana wrote:- Eelhandra (uh)

Eelhandra is a name invented by Chicoverde for the second Shamu Quest series. I used the name in my expanded mythology to represent the Earth god. This was inspired by the setting, design and events of the temple in the second Shamu Quest series, as well as being a mark of respect to Chico's work.

Please help me extend and correct this list.

Custom Map Packs

ONP:
- Unnamed fire god. Could be retconned as my own creation, Ch'tharoth, as mentioned by UB.
- Kalish'ra, god of unspecified role with a massive temple

Deja Vu:
- Novana, God of Life and Fertility
- Somana, spirit of the stream (evidently a local deity)

Tashara's Cove
- O'Shatza, guardian god (dumb name; another local deity)
- Azure, spirit of justice

The Tower of Shrakith'a
- Shrakith'a, some kind of demon god

More as and when I think of them.
Last edited by Hellscrag on 12 Jun 2009, 19:03, edited 1 time in total.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Jun 2009, 18:54

...Nali are obviously polytheists, worshipping several deities, given the large number of pagan style temples... but they also have churches. Either there is a competing religion with a singal messianic figure, or the churches serve as a generalised place of worship for multiple gods... perhaps the crucified figures represent individual saints / martyrs to whom the churches are dedicated, or perhaps they relate to a single prophet of the Gods of the Good Lore.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Jun 2009, 19:02

The ONP fire god is called Zai Got'h (church in the first Skytown level).

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Jun 2009, 19:03

Mman wrote:The ONP fire god is called Zai Got'h (church in the first Skytown level).

Well spotted! I must play ONP again some time.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Jun 2009, 19:36

Nali Religion is a mix of Christian (churches and messiah), Hindu (a lot: four arms, Vandora, Chizra, etc) and Aztec stuff (Velora and Maya-like temples).
ImageImage

User avatar editor Dave
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Jun 2009, 20:37

There exists another God: Unforch (from SP-Prison Of The Unforchers) :D
It is not known (yet) for what he stands for but it will be revealed someday :P
Prisons of the Unforchers Retold - more info: https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4565

User avatar Creavion
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Jun 2009, 21:07

editor Dave wrote:There exists another God: Unforch (from SP-Prison Of The Unforchers) :D
It is not known (yet) for what he stands for but it will be revealed someday :P

LOL Dave. :lol:

User avatar ElectricIce

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Jun 2009, 00:37

Maybe the 5 Points of the Crucifix points at the 5 Official gods of the Nalis.. I don't know.. Might be

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Jun 2009, 00:39

There are no real 5 official gods. The crucifix has that shape because Nali have four arms and one head. And two legs.
ImageImage

User avatar ElectricIce

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Jun 2009, 00:41

Yes but was it there before the Skaarj came or not.. since its mostly used to hang up the nalis on...

Next