Could be asleep, typing random messages instead.

[u1] 'Forgotten' released!

Legacy news previously posted on UnrealSP.org.
User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 15 Feb 2010, 01:11

Sinistral wrote:I'm sorry if this sounds overly harsh, but maybe you get a taste of your own medicine.

Wow, relax. I haven't noticed anything mean-spirited or overly negative in salsa's criticism. Admittedly, I haven't been following this thread too closely since I'm avoiding potential spoilers before I get a chance to play the pack, but everything I've seen him post has been fair, usually constructive and helpful criticism. He's not a dick.

I know it's easy to get upset if someone thinks something you spent a lot of time on has a lot of problems; it's very easy to take negative feedback personally, even if it isn't. Keep in mind also that some negative feedback might be influenced by the commentator's mood if they just finished playing something that frustrated them. It doesn't mean they think you suck or deserve insults, and I don't think you've actually received any insulting comments as a result of this release.

You need to be able to take constructive criticism constructively. I think you're taking his comments a bit too personally; instead, step back and see how you can use the feedback to improve the technical and gameplay aspects of your work instead of dwelling on what was meant by it, and you'll not only feel better, but you'll turn any potentially-unfriendly advice into positive improvement for your work.

User avatar Sinistral
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 15 Feb 2010, 01:39

Waffnuffly wrote:
Sinistral wrote:I'm sorry if this sounds overly harsh, but maybe you get a taste of your own medicine.

Wow, relax. I haven't noticed anything mean-spirited or overly negative in salsa's criticism. Admittedly, I haven't been following this thread too closely since I'm avoiding potential spoilers before I get a chance to play the pack, but everything I've seen him post has been fair, usually constructive and helpful criticism. He's not a dick.

I know it's easy to get upset if someone thinks something you spent a lot of time on has a lot of problems; it's very easy to take negative feedback personally, even if it isn't. Keep in mind also that some negative feedback might be influenced by the commentator's mood if they just finished playing something that frustrated them. It doesn't mean they think you suck or deserve insults, and I don't think you've actually received any insulting comments as a result of this release.

You need to be able to take constructive criticism constructively. I think you're taking his comments a bit too personally; instead, step back and see how you can use the feedback to improve the technical and gameplay aspects of your work instead of dwelling on what was meant by it, and you'll not only feel better, but you'll turn any potentially-unfriendly advice into positive improvement for your work.

You're absolutly right Waffnuffly, I whole-heartedly apologise SalsaSkaarj, I really didn't mean to snap at you like that. FYI I had a bit of a sucky day too.

I guess I just saw this as my final Unreal project, made to honour the first game that I ever felt truely immersed in, and also the first game community I ever felt part of.

I had high hopes that people would appreciate it for what it was, one mans attempt to make "something" decent for once. As I said before, I started this pack back in 1999, for me finishing this pack is a major achievment and marks the closing of the chapter of my life where games and computer obesessions make up a large part, from now on it's all about work, responsibility and "real life" stuff.

I wanted to leave behind something as a farewell gift, and this was to be it.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 15 Feb 2010, 01:43

From what I can tell it's certainly not a bad pack by any stretch. It may be flawed, but what isn't? If you did your best work, that's what really counts. Hell there's still tons of people who play my first map pack, Attacked, and think it's awesome. I think it sucks hard core for the most part and is a total joke compared to my later stuff, but hey, that's how things work.

Seriously, there's probably a lot of people who have played your map already and think it's awesome but haven't said so, either because they didn't think to or they just don't bother to comment on the things they play. I get a pretty good handful of people commenting on EXU, but I've had hundreds of downloads. That's just how it goes. More people will play than will come say what they thought. It's not a bad thing. You just might get more people who come to point out flaws.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 15 Feb 2010, 11:17

Sinistral wrote:SalsaSkaarj, I really didn't mean to snap at you like that. FYI I had a bit of a sucky day too.

no apology needed. Again, your reaction was emotional because of what you read into my post - which, inherent to internet, lacks facial expression and gestures which can say 100x more than my writing and leave no room for immediate explanation or correction. The criticism I offered is only there to allow you to improve on what is there already (and I'll quote G. Bush here: "Let me state this loud and clear!": what is there is already good.)

About the spelling errors, I know that I write with lots of spelling errors, many more than my knowledge of English should account for - but I have never learned how to type and my posts here are usually written in a haste, still I do try to proofread them before submitting (with little succes unfortunately). I have stopped editing them to correct the mistakes I notice later on because every single post would contain more edits than original text :rolleyes:
But the spelling errors I mentioned (and some I have seen but didn't mention) can be fixed in the next version. As stated, I am willing to read through all messages to point out some errors, if there is a simple way to see all messages. You should not do the proofreading - writers usually look over their own mistakes (as do I) and it's best to have somebody else do that.

I will play this again on Unreal and jot down everything I notice (I refuse to do that when playing for the first time- it breaks the flow) map per map and will send it by PM (but unfortunately playing Unreal doesn't make a living so no time schedule is offered).

And Sinistral, If I gave you the impression that I did not appreciate this pack, you got the completely wrong impression. My only explanation is that lately I (we) have been overwhelmed with so many new maps and packs that sometimes I forget to express my appreciation in a proper way. (just take it for granted that I do appreciate it, and others who may not have written anything also).

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 15 Feb 2010, 11:30

Sinistral wrote:
salsaSkaarj wrote:Sometimes where to advance to next is a bit unclear, a comment jackrabbit also made which I understand better now. I speciffically had problems in the Skaarj facility (or ship) where I had to climb lots of stairs to open some Silo doors but I had to go up and down a number of times and never found the silo doors opened - so I had to ghost through a door in order to continue).

Umm, you're in a human facility at this point. When you climb the stairs your actually inside the Silo already (hence the large rocket you can see). All you do is hit the trigger, the silo doors open (and a message states this) and after this the missile launch button appears to your left (under the big sign that says something like "do not use unless defcon is set to position one") - kind of self explanatory I thought. When you press this button the missile launches (the one you can see through the glass) and the door at the bottom of the stairs to the hanger opens. I've never found ANY problems with this.

OK, it was that door at the bottom of the stairs which remained closed for me, probably because I didn't use the missile launch button (I got confused by that defcon message thinking that it referred to the silo doors instead of the missile launcher).
I'll try and play that section again and will report back.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 15 Feb 2010, 19:04

Just to pitch in here - I can assure you that I, for one, am enjoying this pack. It's pleasantly nostalgic whilst also being innovative. It's not perfect, and my review will reflect that, but it's a very worthy release, and one that I'm sure I will return to.

One map to go. Sorry, my gaming time is limited mostly to weekends at the moment.
Life is what you make of it.

Previous