Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

[u1] 'Forgotten' released!

Legacy news previously posted on UnrealSP.org.
redeye
Banned Banned

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010, 01:54

Ok this is killing me.

can someone explain how to play RTNP
I need "Unreal" and that file from oldunreal that says you don't need a upak file.

OR if I want to just play unreal with 227,227f or now we have some upak file? how about the oldupak file and ver 226?

just give me a step 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 so all I need to know is click on the Icon.

I have regular Unreal installed,waiting for instruction
thanx...........
Just ban everyone

User avatar zacman
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010, 02:06

First of all, if you have 227f installed, it won't work-you'll get crashes, unless you download some unofficial patched version of the maps. I don't know where to download it, but Zombie sometimes has it on his server so you can maybe cache clean it from there. Otherwise, if running UGold, just go new single player game and RTNP will be in an options list there. on normal U226, you gotta open the console and put in
OPEN Intro1
(Or it might have been open Upak\Intro1 or something like that)
if you're using the fixed ones on Zombie's server, the map name ends with THS, but the Intro's aren't cycled.

(EDIT) Needs Upak.U for normal version only, all files should be put in place, same as installing a Mod. Maps should be Unreal\Maps\Upak\*.unr
ImageImage

Code: Select all

(11:32:26) Shivaxi: i love fat girls

Code: Select all

(03:01:24 PM) <+All_Rights_Reserved> i'm not masturbating

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010, 09:19

redeye wrote:I have regular Unreal installed,waiting for instruction
thanx...........

If you have the regular Unreal (non-Unreal Gold), then you can't play RTNP in any way. So just install 227 from the getgo and care only about the 227-only stuff like Forgotten.
ImageImage

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010, 16:45

Or play Unreal-Search:Prelude... that contains RtNP stuff plus some more.

look here for more info: http://www.unrealsp.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=54

redeye
Banned Banned

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010, 17:38

Not to mess up this thread but that is the ONLY official thing ,unreal, I hav'nt played

Also looking at all the things they did ,features, for the 227 ver will be pretty cool, and this new map pack to add to the fun.

looks like the community is alive and well !!!
:tup:
Just ban everyone

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010, 18:31

RTNP S&P isn't really RTNP itself but, so yeah.

redeye wrote:looks like the community is alive and well !!!

As always.
ImageImage

nikosv
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Jan 2010, 16:51

Oh, this looks wonderful. Nothing like an old-school map pack without all of the frills.
Current Project: None. WTFs2 had to go to sleep, RIP.

I still sometimes sculpt PS2-style terrain by hand with Blender 3. Some passions always linger.

redeye
Banned Banned

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Jan 2010, 04:00

UBerserker wrote:
redeye wrote:I have regular Unreal installed,waiting for instruction
thanx...........

If you have the regular Unreal (non-Unreal Gold), then you can't play RTNP in any way. So just install 227 from the getgo and care only about the 227-only stuff like Forgotten.

Let me tell you, that has and is the precise exactness, to answer, NOW I know, thanx

LoL, not only the win64bit situation for not using old prgrams, kinda throws you off kilt, needing to relearn an OS plus "64"bit.

I never had Unreal Gold. :tdown:
Just ban everyone

User avatar IronMonkey
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject: Unreal Forgotten

Post Posted: 05 Feb 2010, 00:54

Beware! Spoilers abound! Look away now!

I'll get my quibbles out of the way first.

Weather effects over used and not always consistent e.g. weather effects inside a building.

Scale - furniture was way overscaled and there were a couple of places where the scale of the room or other features of the room were just off.

W95 on displays joke over used. The first time it is seen is funny (hey, I've used the BSoD on displays within levels myself) but when it is on every screen and there are a lot of screens, the effect is to jerk one out of the game and that's a pity because the bases are some of the most immersive parts of the pack.

In the first couple of maps, I seem to get snagged on the surroundings quite a bit. After that, the problem went away.

Strange interlude at the start of "The Krall Castle" where the player got wander around several levels of a jail without much threat. It felt like a waste of time (just give me the ammo!) and also like a misuse of what could have been an interesting little section to fight through.

Extremely annoying respawn for ever (as far as I can tell) Skaarj Gunner on the way out of one of the levels. Annoying, because it is not consistent with behaviour elsewhere and annoying because I wasted a ton of ammo and health before I realised that I was supposed to just run past the gunner spawn point (which could have been better done - the monsters just appeared on the spot without any hint of a justification)

A minor HOM visible from high up in "The Krall Castle" from the edge of one of the buildings - not a significant issue.

Misleading advertising! I know I'm pretty rubbish and also a slow and cautious player but the readme's estimate of 45 minutes for a good player to finish the map pack on a first run seems a tad optimistic (there again, the good news is that there is more play value in the map pack than you thought).

Difficulty. The early levels are difficult but doable. The final few boss battles are ridiculous. You know that something's off when it's tough in God mode :) I've still to beat the end level for real and I suspect that there is a lot of save-reload ahead of me.

Right, now I that I've got all that off my chest, you can forget all about it and we can talk about the good things.

Cool opening video. My suspicions regarding the possibility of a Stargate Atlantis influence were well-founded. :)

It really felt like a snowbound NaPali. The sense of space and huge scale of the valleys was well captured. I also liked that it was an attempt to get away from the traditional green grass NaPali valley and was set elsewhere on the planet.

The Krall Castle was (within the limitations of a game) the most convincing castle that I've seen in a long while. It looked functional, as though it had been built for a purpose (i.e. to be a castle) rather than to sit there looking all Gothic and moody. Maybe that made it less pretty than many a castle that we've seen but it was so much more convincing.

Whining about difficulty levels aside, there were several very enjoyable battles.

Things generally looked gorgeous with S3TC @1920x1200.

One overused bad joke aside, there was a nice thread of humour running through events.

I had plenty of fun playing through the set.

Good though the valley exteriors were, where this map pack shone was in the bases.

SPOILERS

LOOK AWAY!

Both of the bases were very convincing as overrun locations. It is hard to explain just how well these were done.

Did I mention the size of the maps?

And all this the work of one guy.

A big thank you is due from us all.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Feb 2010, 15:17

Welcome to the forums, IronMonkey! (we're getting some more fresh input lately.. :tup: :tup: )

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Feb 2010, 16:02

Are you the same IronMonkey from BU?
ImageImage

User avatar IronMonkey
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Feb 2010, 19:25

UBerserker wrote:Are you the same IronMonkey from BU?

Yes.

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Feb 2010, 20:21

redeye wrote:Ok this is killing me.

can someone explain how to play RTNP
I need "Unreal" and that file from oldunreal that says you don't need a upak file.

OR if I want to just play unreal with 227,227f or now we have some upak file? how about the oldupak file and ver 226?

just give me a step 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 so all I need to know is click on the Icon.

I have regular Unreal installed,waiting for instruction
thanx...........

http://erevolution.proboards.com/index. ... thread=158

now STFU!!! lol jk. But seriously....i got annoyed at all the people asking about this...so I finally just posted this here at my forum. I don't care anymore and I'm not going to post it on a public forum, so I'll post a link to it on my own forum :P

and lol @ Peanuts comment
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar Sinistral
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject: Re: Unreal Forgotten

Post Posted: 06 Feb 2010, 01:15

have to say when I made the pack for 227 only I had no idea what size of can of worms I was opening.

The reason for my choice seemed simple to me.. Without 227 installed, Unreal on my current PC is unplayable, 227 solved a lot of problems for me, which most I now know are down to the third party opengl renderer.

I don't own Unreal "gold" or "anthology" - I have the original "big box" version which I've patched to 227. when I saw the things possible in 227, weather effects, footstep imprints, footstep sounds etc, it seemed to me like the stuff that Unreal was always missing had been fixed. I have to say I know nothing about coding, I can't say if the code is good in the 227 patch etc, all I know is it works well for me and for me it's enabled me to play this great game again.

Now, to respond to the one and only response that's directly about the map pack contents rather than 227.

Beware! Spoilers abound! Look away now!

I'll get my quibbles out of the way first.

Weather effects over used and not always consistent e.g. weather effects inside a building.

I've tried to fix this, but it didn't seem worthwhile creating another zone portal for a tiny little barn/outhouses/tents. Most of the larger houses have this issue fixed.

Scale - furniture was way overscaled and there were a couple of places where the scale of the room or other features of the room were just off.

Agreed in some cases your correct here, but remember the Nali are much larger than player pawns, if you stand the Nali next to the chairs/tables they are about waist high, which should be about right.

W95 on displays joke over used. The first time it is seen is funny (hey, I've used the BSoD on displays within levels myself) but when it is on every screen and there are a lot of screens, the effect is to jerk one out of the game and that's a pity because the bases are some of the most immersive parts of the pack.

It was supposed to be kind of funny, but the general Idea here is that the Skaarj are in some way responsible for crashing all the earth defence control computers, some don't have the BSOD, but I agree that maybe I should have done more that didn't.

In the first couple of maps, I seem to get snagged on the surroundings quite a bit. After that, the problem went away.

Not really sure what you mean by this, there isn't any problems with the collision of the terrain as far as I've seen. If you could provide more detail on this I would be grateful.

Strange interlude at the start of "The Krall Castle" where the player got wander around several levels of a jail without much threat. It felt like a waste of time (just give me the ammo!) and also like a misuse of what could have been an interesting little section to fight through.

Its more supposed to be the place the Skaarj take the Nali/Krall before taking them to the mines to work, I guess this never came across very well. You can free the Nali if you want, but nothing really happens as a result of this.

Extremely annoying respawn for ever (as far as I can tell) Skaarj Gunner on the way out of one of the levels. Annoying, because it is not consistent with behaviour elsewhere and annoying because I wasted a ton of ammo and health before I realised that I was supposed to just run past the gunner spawn point (which could have been better done - the monsters just appeared on the spot without any hint of a justification)

Sounds like you've found a bug I didn't know about. I think you're talking about the spawns that appear after you've killed the Krall in the castle. The idea here is that with the Krall gone, the Skaarj come back to claim the territory. I didn't want to use more Krall in this section as by this point you'd already killed about 50.

The spawnpoint is supposed to produce one Skaarj on each spawnpoint and do it discreetly before you arrive back to the tunnels, if this didn't happen it's probably a bug.

A minor HOM visible from high up in "The Krall Castle" from the edge of one of the buildings - not a significant issue.

Not seen this, if you can provide more detail, again I would be grateful.

Misleading advertising! I know I'm pretty rubbish and also a slow and cautious player but the readme's estimate of 45 minutes for a good player to finish the map pack on a first run seems a tad optimistic (there again, the good news is that there is more play value in the map pack than you thought).

Haha, at least I know some of you guys actually read the readme to complain now :-)

Difficulty. The early levels are difficult but doable. The final few boss battles are ridiculous. You know that something's off when it's tough in God mode :) I've still to beat the end level for real and I suspect that there is a lot of save-reload ahead of me.

I do agree the final levels can be tricky in places, but it's all do-able. I've done it myself countless times during testing. The main advice on the Skaarj ship is to do what your there to do, and run away from the rest! There's no need to fight the entire Skaarj Army! It's funny too because someone in another thread complained that the final boss battle was far too easy.

Right, now I that I've got all that off my chest, you can forget all about it and we can talk about the good things.

I'm glad there are some after all that lot!

Cool opening video. My suspicions regarding the possibility of a Stargate Atlantis influence were well-founded. :)

Maybe a little ;)

It really felt like a snowbound NaPali. The sense of space and huge scale of the valleys was well captured. I also liked that it was an attempt to get away from the traditional green grass NaPali valley and was set elsewhere on the planet.

Thanks, I too got a little bored with the green/brown/grey look. When I saw what was possible in 227 I jumped towards this theme.

The Krall Castle was (within the limitations of a game) the most convincing castle that I've seen in a long while. It looked functional, as though it had been built for a purpose (i.e. to be a castle) rather than to sit there looking all Gothic and moody. Maybe that made it less pretty than many a castle that we've seen but it was so much more convincing.

Cool, I'm glad you liked my castle! I did originally build the exterior with a UT assault map in mind, maybe this helped it feel more fit-for-purpose.

Whining about difficulty levels aside, there were several very enjoyable battles.

I did try my best, I've never claimed to be an expert, I'm far from that, but I'm glad you had fun with this, that's the aim after all.

Things generally looked gorgeous with S3TC @1920x1200.

I've not tried this yet, Will do at some point.

One overused bad joke aside, there was a nice thread of humour running through events.

There was? :shock:

I had plenty of fun playing through the set.

Glad to hear it!

Good though the valley exteriors were, where this map pack shone was in the bases.

I actually was worried the base interiors were the weakest part as a result spent loads of time making stuff to "fill them up".

SPOILERS

LOOK AWAY!

ohh ok then :-)

Both of the bases were very convincing as overrun locations. It is hard to explain just how well these were done.

Did I mention the size of the maps?

And all this the work of one guy.

A big thank you is due from us all.

No thank you is necessary, but I am glad to hear that some people are enjoying playing the pack. I had reservations about ever releasing more Unreal maps, TC's seem to be the only thing in development these days. My pack is very hardcore Oldskool by comparison. I made this as my little tribute to Unreal as it was. I wish I would have found someone enthusiastic like yourself when I was trying to test this, the bugs you found probably would have been avoided by a fresh pair of eyes like yours. Alas one man can only do so much!

Thanks again for your comments, all the problems you faced will be taken on board for a (possible) future 1.1 version if more major issues are found.

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Feb 2010, 03:56

Great Work! :) :tup: Keep it Up!

I'm a bit worried about that weather generator you used in the pack though. My framerate drops to around 30-40 FPS on the first level in particular. Its not unplayable, just a tad annoying to deal with. Maybe someone on the 227 dev team can help you optimize the weather effects to just emit single particles instead of full sheets (this may or may not be the issue).

Previous Next