A random sentence for a random mind.

[usp] [fanfic] [ut] Two new map reviews and fanfic news

Legacy news previously posted on UnrealSP.org.
User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Feb 2010, 22:01

Hellscrag wrote: I assume your point is based on the fact that "Bob" is an unusual kind of release.

Yes, this is exactly what I'm getting at. An unusual release such as this which is much substantially different than all other maps on UnrealSP would probably not be taken into consideration if the author did not explicitly publish the map on the site. I guess "The Pure" is just some odd exception.

@Salsha

It all comes down to how much you want the scores to be portrayed as an accurate conclusion to the pack. Honestly, I think UnrealSP could do without any scoring system and just be totally subjective (the way I'd do it), but I think the current system has its strengths in other regards such as organization (the biggest in an objective scheme) and quick oversight (something subjective cannot really do). I'm not saying that UnrealSP review schemes are totally objective, but they are nowhere near totally subjective. A UnrealSP review site that was totally subjective wouldn't bother me at all, and actually I think it would work together as a fit "challenger" to this site. People could get some opinions from that other site and compare here for further in-depth analysis.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Feb 2010, 22:20

jackrabbit wrote:...
@Salsha

It all comes down to how much you want the scores to be portrayed as an accurate conclusion to the pack. Honestly, I think UnrealSP could do without any scoring system and just be totally subjective (the way I'd do it), but I think the current system has its strengths in other regards such as organization (the biggest in an objective scheme) and quick oversight (something subjective cannot really do). I'm not saying that UnrealSP review schemes are totally objective, but they are nowhere near totally subjective. A UnrealSP review site that was totally subjective wouldn't bother me at all, and actually I think it would work together as a fit "challenger" to this site. People could get some opinions from that other site and compare here for further in-depth analysis.

Don't worry, I don't think the review system is bad, nor that it lacks objectivity. Anyway a bit of subjectivity is natural and spices up things anyway. The thing is that "a grade" doesn't leave much to think about, luckily the review itself and the separate grades per criterion do allow a better understanding as to how the grade is reached.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Feb 2010, 23:10

A somewhat underused feature here at UnrealSP is that of "second opinions", which I think keys into some of what jackrabbit is saying. Second opinions on the reviews provide an opportunity for a greater degree of subjectivity / challenge than we currently have. Generally the second opinions have only been by our own staff reviewers, but if someone else were to offer to do a series of second opinions, I wouldn't be averse to the idea.

...having said that, I think I would be looking for them to weigh the maps differently against one another, rather than completely recalibrate the generosity / harshness of our typical scores.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar jazz
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Feb 2010, 23:13

When i got in touch with Mman i mentioned that i expected a score of 70% ish, given the rash ending and other issues that were on my mind concerning the pack. Gameplay, ammo and health issues wont be much of a problem when all three are done; however, proof reading maybe my achilles heel (may need help in future).

Not played bob yet but its on my list.

Previous