A random sentence for a random mind.

[usp] [u1] Sirius revisited

Legacy news previously posted on UnrealSP.org.
User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject: [usp] [u1] Sirius revisited

Post Posted: 23 Feb 2010, 19:15

MMAN has dug back into the archives to re-review Sirius 38f3: The Unknown Planet by Atje. You can find his updated review here.
This completes the programme of re-reviews that we have been on since August 2004 - all reviews on our site now use the 'new', more challenging schema. At this point, I'd like to thank all the reviewers who have participated in this re-reviewing effort over the last six years.
Life is what you make of it.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 23 Feb 2010, 19:49

I barely remember this one. The church was filled with those chant sounds and the main river was just BiterfishLand. Classic line: "Where's Evil Atje now? He was leet".

So... not much left to review now.
ImageImage

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 23 Feb 2010, 20:49

I actually played through this some time last month in Zora's Unreal server. I haven't read the review yet, but I'd say the maps strong point is its exploration factor where you can choose to supply up for the upcoming mini-skaarj base. The skaarj base part of the map was too short for my taste. Also, interactive terrain was pretty good, but also kinda ugly imo.

User avatar Lightning Hunter

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Feb 2010, 00:54

Wasn't this the last map to use the old review schema? As far as I can tell, all of them have been updated now.
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Feb 2010, 01:01

Lightning Hunter wrote:Wasn't this the last map to use the old review schema? As far as I can tell, all of them have been updated now.

Hellscrag wrote:This completes the programme of re-reviews that we have been on since August 2004 - all reviews on our site now use the 'new', more challenging schema. At this point, I'd like to thank all the reviewers who have participated in this re-reviewing effort over the last six years.

:o

User avatar Lightning Hunter

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Feb 2010, 01:33

Mister_Prophet wrote:
Lightning Hunter wrote:Wasn't this the last map to use the old review schema? As far as I can tell, all of them have been updated now.

Hellscrag wrote:This completes the programme of re-reviews that we have been on since August 2004 - all reviews on our site now use the 'new', more challenging schema. At this point, I'd like to thank all the reviewers who have participated in this re-reviewing effort over the last six years.

:o

Oh, right... I guess I stopped reading the initial post after I clicked the review. I got sidetracked. :B
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Feb 2010, 16:20

Ah haha...this map. I STILL run this on my server :P
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar Turboman
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Feb 2010, 17:53

lol by the way, some dutch humor/easter egg hidden in the mappack (Evil Atje was dutch) at the spaceship in the start the first message that appears on your translator:
"Thank you for travelling with El Al, the safest transport company in the universe"
Its a funny (or controversial/sad) joke referring to airline company "El Al" which was responsible for an airline accident in Amsterdam years ago, where a 747 crashed destroying a city block and its inhabitants.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Feb 2010, 23:06

Just finished playing it and ... I liked the terrain and the cave section with the lifts, but gameplay was nothing special.
The fly caught me by surprise and the Skaarj behind you when you go to the top of the stairs with the Krall there gave me a scare, but generally progress was made too easy by the obvious hints in the translator messages. Also I was oversupplied with weapons, ammo, health and armour.

I think the Skaarj God section didn't execute coorectly with me, I killed him friom above but then expected a lift to come up (I tried shooting and pushing everything reachable to no avail). Eventually had to jump down.

Unfortunately the ending scene is one of those where the shuttle has to fly through a kaleidoscopic tunnel with so many twists and turns it becomes laughable (I half remember other maps with scenes like that - I always think the engineers who design those exits want to make sure that nobody gets out alive - and even fail at that).

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Feb 2010, 23:09

salsaSkaarj wrote:Unfortunately the ending scene is one of those where the shuttle has to fly through a kaleidoscopic tunnel with so many twists and turns it becomes laughable (I half remember other maps with scenes like that - I always think the engineers who design those exits want to make sure that nobody gets out alive - and even fail at that).

That's because it's Unreal's ending! That reminds me that I forgot to mention that the ending chamber being much smaller than in the cutscene was sort of dumb looking.

User avatar Nalisavior
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Feb 2010, 20:06

Good job on all the reviews they are very interesting to read :tup:

seeker3
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Mar 2010, 18:27

Excellent job! :) And it's great to part of the community that keeps Unreal and UT99,the best games ever,alive :tup: Thank you!!