A random sentence for a random mind.

[usp] [u1] Vigil99 - revived and reviewed

Legacy news previously posted on UnrealSP.org.
User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader
Posts: 2897
Joined: 11 Nov 2007, 23:30
Location: Long Island, New York

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Apr 2010, 06:03

Technically speaking, the system in place was meant to have a lot more second opinions. I remember when the % system was settled on, and I only accepted it at the time (I'm no fan of numerical scoring) because I figured that would mean a composite % based on some kind of reviewing average. But that's not how it turned out. Why? Well, because our schema requires more than just an opinion. That's really the thing, isn't it? Everyone has what it takes to form an opinion, but not necessarily what it takes to write criticism according to an agreed upon schema.


Holy shit forum page, are you serious? Are we really doing this?
Image

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Posts: 1809
Joined: 21 Apr 2009, 21:54
Location: on the prowl

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Apr 2010, 11:51

Mister_Prophet wrote:Everyone has what it takes to form an opinion, but not necessarily what it takes to write criticism according to an agreed upon schema.

About the schema: what's the precise definition of Story Construction and Story Implementation?

In the case of Vigil, there is a story but the only references to the story are at the start, and then again at the end - As far as construction goes - yes it's there ... as far as implementation in the game, well the only implementation is see it that is was in effect constructed. Of course Vigil is not a standard Unreal map so the story aspect is a bit more difficult to implement.

But concerning Story, there are examples of really interesting (and good) implementations - Shrakitha, Xidia, 7B (and yes Xenome: First Day also) where the story develops during the quest. But where do you draw the line between Construction and Implementation.

My idea about this is that there is too much overflow and these 2 should perhaps be considered only one aspect, namely: Story.


@Hellscrag

I know that thought has been put into the schema and my"criticism" (if it can be called such) could be due to ignorance, which is why I am asking.

User avatar Jet v4.3.5
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder
Posts: 1247
Joined: 24 Dec 2007, 17:40
Contact:

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Apr 2010, 13:31

The differences are rather simple from what I can tell. The construction concerns the story itself. In Seven Bullets, Prophet included several story enhancements in the form of separate text files, as an example, and though they were not implemented directly into the pack itself, it touches on the story surrounding what and where and why the player is doing what he or she is doing, and who he or she is in the first place if that is important enough for the "author" of the level or pack's story. For implementation, that's concerning how the story flows in conjunction to in-game events, logs, and major fights (like the Scarred One) and the only point of having this is that yes, you can have one of the most engaging and amazing story lines, but when a player can't quite relate what they are doing in that story and have trouble seeing where they are for that matter, the level begins to feel pointless and the story is more of a nuisance rather than something that enhances the gameplay.
Image
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator
Posts: 2288
Joined: 12 Nov 2007, 14:43
Location: Germany
Contact:

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Apr 2010, 13:34

Shivaxi wrote:I didn't mean to put it like that. It's just that I don't think the current system works is all. I was hoping to change it...but it doesn't seem like that is going to happen...

I believe that's what Hellscrag was trying to say: UnrealSP already had a major reviewing scheme overhaul in it's long existence, you're not the first to come along with ideas of change. :P The mechanic you're looking for is already included in the form of Second Opinions.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Posts: 1809
Joined: 21 Apr 2009, 21:54
Location: on the prowl

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Apr 2010, 15:22

jetv435 wrote:...and the only point of having this is that yes, you can have one of the most engaging and amazing story lines, but when a player can't quite relate what they are doing in that story and have trouble seeing where they are for that matter, the level begins to feel pointless and the story is more of a nuisance rather than something that enhances the gameplay.


OK, thanks, that was well explained.

But my feeling about a game is that the story, if present, should in the first place be implemented into the game itself. In other words, if the construction is good but there's no implementation then as far as I am concerned, the game has no story and shouldn't even receive points for Story. You obviously cannot have Story Implementation without Story Construction.
I tend to play the game, experience the story, and afterwards check the readme for perhaps some extra information on the story.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder
Posts: 3977
Joined: 11 Nov 2007, 19:14
Location: In a random access memory of dreams

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Apr 2010, 20:28

jetv435 wrote:The differences are rather simple from what I can tell. The construction concerns the story itself. In Seven Bullets, Prophet included several story enhancements in the form of separate text files, as an example, and though they were not implemented directly into the pack itself, it touches on the story surrounding what and where and why the player is doing what he or she is doing, and who he or she is in the first place if that is important enough for the "author" of the level or pack's story. For implementation, that's concerning how the story flows in conjunction to in-game events, logs, and major fights (like the Scarred One) and the only point of having this is that yes, you can have one of the most engaging and amazing story lines, but when a player can't quite relate what they are doing in that story and have trouble seeing where they are for that matter, the level begins to feel pointless and the story is more of a nuisance rather than something that enhances the gameplay.


You're almost right, but "Story Construction" carries forward throughout the game in terms of development of the plot, including logs. Story Implementation is making the plot actually happen in the events of the level(s).

salsa: One of the reasons we have two schema entries for the story is to make sure that the story accounts for a decent proportion of the overall score.
Image
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader
Posts: 2897
Joined: 11 Nov 2007, 23:30
Location: Long Island, New York

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010, 08:21

I'm seriously considering going on a second opinion review rampage and just write one for everything I didn't get a chance to write a primary review for.
Image

UBerserker
Nali Priest Nali Priest
Posts: 7899
Joined: 11 Nov 2007, 21:00

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010, 12:16

Mister_Prophet wrote:I'm seriously considering going on a second opinion review rampage and just write one for everything I didn't get a chance to write a primary review for.


Hey that was my idea too. To be honest, I also feel like it's not that necessary.
ImageImage

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader
Posts: 2897
Joined: 11 Nov 2007, 23:30
Location: Long Island, New York

Subject:

Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010, 02:13

UBerserker wrote:Hey that was my idea too. To be honest, I also feel like it's not that necessary.


Obviously I disagree or I wouldn't bother.
Image

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E
Posts: 4132
Joined: 15 Dec 2007, 00:46

Subject:

Post Posted: 08 Apr 2010, 03:25

UBerserker wrote:
Mister_Prophet wrote:I'm seriously considering going on a second opinion review rampage and just write one for everything I didn't get a chance to write a primary review for.


Hey that was my idea too. To be honest, I also feel like it's not that necessary.

I'd really like to see both of you guys do this! And more folks!

Hell, if I wasn't so GOD DAMNED BUSY AHGRG I would write some too.
Image

Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest