ividyon will never get this done, will he.

[usp] [u1] New review - deCyber Duel

Legacy news previously posted on UnrealSP.org.
User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject: [usp] [u1] New review - deCyber Duel

Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010, 19:40

UBerserker has dug out another of prolific mapper EZKeel's old single player releases, deCyber Duel, and given it a detailed review. You can find UBerserker's thoughts here.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Nalisavior
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010, 20:33

Just when I think ive played every custom map in Unreal another one shows up :o

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010, 21:27

So is this map the prequel or sequel to deadcell? :lol:

Nice review, appropriate score. :tup: :tup:

Personally, I would have given him somewhere in the 70-80 range mostly because of the unique experience. The current score makes more sense for the schema set up for the site and I think its right on target.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010, 21:47

This is basically UnrealCell. Deadcell tries unique stuff of its own, more like a spiritual sequel.
I'm pretty happy on how the review came out.
ImageImage

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010, 23:15

This was also an unknown SP map for me, so I downloaded it immediately and started playing.

Difficulty setting was Medium and I went exploring first.

From here on there are major Spoilers so don't read if you haven't played it yet:

[Spoilers]
Exploration thaught me that there is no point is going for the extra ammo, the tentacles just regenerate so health loss is too expensive. I just took the first batch and went on.
Took the DP powerups and a shield and went to the Krall arena.Thought to myself: Why waste ammo, pressed all buttons and quickly went up the arena and as I expected mayhem occured. All I needed to do was get rid of the remaining 2 Behemoths and a single Krall, the mercenaries and the Slith had exterminated each other - health loss = 0 and ammo loss = 0 (only used DP).

Found the flooded passage to the armoury and the only problem there is slight loss of health due to lack of oxygen and the occasional bite but with a loaded DP takes care of the Devilfish if you shoot while swimming, but it's worth it.

Found the special area with sniperrifle - the mines can be set off before entering - health loss was ± 5, use the DP to set of the mines. The Flak was easy to get, run against the crushers and when it goes back, move one forward, repeat 3 times and harvest, take care when returning.
Now for the Rocketlauncher - Manta doesn't bother you if you leave him alone. Shooting the crosses is tiresome but it's feasable. The fly is only a problem once you're down in the water. One passage took me right upstairs to where I started, the other passage didn't want to open - so forget the Rocketlauncher.

Skaarj arena: here I had to save often - the hitscan bastards are ... bastards. Major problem when getting in and out of the cube rooms, there's a sunken light and you have to jump out otherwise you're stuck and become a sitting duck. The buttons to open lavapits? WTF is that for?, those Skaarj aren't stupid enough to fall in there are shooting those buttons is too dangerous with Skaarj roaming about. Eventually cleared the area with major health loss (rifle and automag are good weapons), but that is acceptable, lots of health to gather.

Now for the big guys. Aha, 4 big rooms, there must be some big ones in there. Hey, 4 pushbuttons with markings. Let's try pressing all 4. No sooner said than done. Go have a look and Yippee! a Warlord shoots at me, I duck and the splash damage triggers the other guys.
Retreat and watch the butchery. Finish of the Titan (DP should be enough) and find out that the Warlord is back in his cage - make his stay there permanent (Stinger and ASMD work fine).

Anything else to do? More exploring but I never found the healthchamber :(
And after some wandering in the exit, finally a message stating there will be a sequel and the exit itself.

[/Spoilers]

Concluding, I have to admit I liked Vigil a lot more than this one. The concept is good but in the arena with the Skaarj, getting stuck is too much of a problem, and the fights in the other 2 arenas aren't as difficult as they seem (on Medium). ONly the Skaarj battles are difficult.

Only in the Krall arena did I feel some Conceptual Grandness (ok, the area where to get the weapons and powerups also hinted CG).

Gameplay receives a 10 in the review, I would make that a 7 maximum and I'm being generous.

Major gameplay errors are in the Krall arena - it's too easy to put distance between you and the action, and in the Boss arena, those 4 cages should never have been so close together.

edited at 23:32 for clarity

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010, 23:44

Going into the DeCyber Arena with just a Dispersion Pistol at max upgrade with an amplifier, no armors, playing on Unreal Difficulty, and hitting all four switches (activating the Titan, Warlord, Queen, and Giant Gasbag all at once) and then walking away from what followed was one of the most memorable victories I have ever had with Unreal. :o

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010, 23:49

Pressing all the buttons is just... boring. Taking out a single wave per time it's where the awesome is. The hardest part for me was the third arena: goddamned Queen who just never stops for a second. I guess I hinted at that "customization" part, righttt.

No other packs had offered me such excellent direct gameplay; I was so much entertained while playing this one. Have to say, ten is way too much of a low score... this is a 12. EZKeel is a genious :tup:
ImageImage

Subject:

Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010, 00:04

UBerserker wrote:Pressing all the buttons is just... boring.

Depends. I generally face the Skaarj and the Lackeys one wave at a time, but there's such a way to do the DeCyber arena with all the big boys out in the open that's really insane and much more challenging. The wild card there is the Queen, but there's a way to pull this off on Unreal diff with only the one gun (DP), an Amplifier, and no armor/health boosts. I can't think of any other instances in the last decade plus of Unreal mappage where I've ever been in a situation where I wanted to use the Amplifier. It can be done, and it is awesome.

Also, I feel I must mention that this is a rare case where someone actually set up the Queen properly (to avoid "teleporting in place" syndromes).

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010, 00:08

Is the only EZKeel map that hasn't been reviewed here now "Arachnopolis" (which, from what I recall, like Vigil, needs some fixing to work in newer versions. So I've never played it)? I think that's an EZKeel map anyway.

I need to check this map out again, as I recall the gameplay set-up being quite interesting as the review says.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010, 00:17

I'm not using the Amplifier for almost a year now. I always forget about it, but I also forget how five/six amplified Level 5 DP bolts can kill a Queen. To be honest, I was rather sick to use the DP all the time, so I decided to use the other weapons. This map can be done in tons of different ways but not all of them guarantee victories (like getting weapons such as the Stinger and Automag and try to fight personally the bosses, one at time. I don't think it will be possible).

Mister_Prophet wrote:Also, I feel I must mention that this is a rare case where someone actually set up the Queen properly (to avoid "teleporting in place" syndromes).

Looking around, I think there are as many real working Queens as the ones who are not in the released custom maps. I don't remember though - I think the Illhaven Queen didn't teleport correctly too.

Arachnopolis is 220 only. I heard that it's nothing special though; it uses those same insect enemies from Legacy.
ImageImage

Subject:

Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010, 00:24

UBerserker wrote:I'm not using the Amplifier for almost a year now. I always forget about it, but I also forget how five/six amplified Level 5 DP bolts can kill a Queen. To be honest, I was rather sick to use the DP all the time, so I decided to use the other weapons. This map can be done in tons of different ways but not all of them guarantee victories (like getting weapons such as the Stinger and Automag and try to fight personally the bosses, one at time. I don't think it would be possible).

Aye. You can get the Titan to nail her with rocks without having to even touch her (but strafing for your life is unavoidable). In fact, on one rare occassion I got the Titan to rock out all three of the others before anyone turned their attention to me. Usually, the last two standing are me and the warlord. Otherwise it's the titan.

I appreciate this map's DP/Amplifier combo because, for myself, they are tools I rarely feel the need to bother with.

UBerserker wrote:Looking around, I think there are as many real working Queens as the ones who are not in the released custom maps. I don't remember though - I think the Illhaven Queen didn't teleport correctly too.

Bugged in Illhaven as I recall. I'm fairly certain that most of the time people screw the Queen up. Besides this map and the one in Xidia: The Escape, I actually can't think of any other instances where she's been set up properly. Correct me if I'm wrong about this.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010, 00:26

Mister_Prophet wrote:
UBerserker wrote:Looking around, I think there are as many real working Queens as the ones who are not in the released custom maps. I don't remember though - I think the Illhaven Queen didn't teleport correctly too.

Bugged in Illhaven as I recall. I'm fairly certain that most of the time people screw the Queen up. Besides this map and the one in Xidia: The Escape, I actually can't think of any other instances where she's been set up properly. Correct me if I'm wrong about this.

I might be wrong, but I think "New Alcatraz" utilised the teleporting feature, if not particularly well.

Life is what you make of it.

Subject:

Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010, 00:27

I've gotta replay New Alcatraz.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010, 00:28

Ortican and Alcatraz.
Giant Queen is New Alcatraz is giant. Probably the toughest one I ever faced.
ImageImage

Subject:

Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010, 00:30

Right right, Ortican. How could I forget? I only beta tested the crap outta that one :o

Still, those aren't many examples.

Next