Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

[usp] [u1] [ut] Two new reviews

Legacy news previously posted on UnrealSP.org.
UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 May 2010, 20:37

Heart of Chizra -Extended Mix-

There's nothing wrong in giving tips in a review in my opinion - I did the same thing with the Solaris one.
ImageImage

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 May 2010, 20:56

Mister_Prophet wrote:...
Never happened to me. If it's happening to your guns too...dunno. But in regards to the Berserker, I never actually lured him very far from where you meet him, so it's a possible oversight. Did he interact with any architecture possibly?

It happened in the Doommap, in Vigil and in 2 old maps (sorry, can't remember which ones).

When the corridor opened I saw the Berserker at the far end and I waited unbtilo he was near, when he jumped at me I evaded and ran into the corridor (so that I could face him with a little more distance between us). When he jumped, he landed over the water and seemed to freeze against a structure portruding from the back wall.

The weapon freezin thing in Vigil is probably due to the modifications to the weapons - perhaps in the Doom map some piece of code also causes strange interaction.

Anyway, Hearty of CHizra is so short that I'll try again (maybve later tonight) to see if it's aconstant event or not.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 May 2010, 20:58

Mister_Prophet wrote:Funny how the comments are for the short map and not the Zora review :o

I have had the Zora maps for years but never played them since they are for Coop. And unfortunately the review doesn't entice me to play them ion the near future (still too many other maps to try or replay).

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 May 2010, 21:03

salsaSkaarj wrote:I have had the Zora maps for years but never played them since they are for Coop. And unfortunately the review doesn't entice me to play them ion the near future (still too many other maps to try or replay).

They aren't COOP specific, no. That's the misunderstanding I believe, and why it took so long for one of us to review it for the site. I'd only really be weary about Episode 1 at this point, due to that one dysfunctional level. On the contrary, Episode 2 is very playable...it's just that you have to have a lot of patience with certain puzzles, and hopefully the review helps people out with that combination sequence.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 May 2010, 21:09

UBerserker wrote:There's nothing wrong in giving tips in a review in my opinion - I did the same thing with the Solaris one.

Well, I'd say that too much detail in the review can spoil the experience for people who are simply looking for an estimation of the map's quality prior to playing it. :)

(also it takes centuries to edit! :P)

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 May 2010, 21:10

Raven wrote:...
Be warned - lot's of grammar mistakes, etc.

"I must get out of here, fast ... till I'm not dead" :lol: :D

So?? ... when did you become alive again? :wink:

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 May 2010, 21:19

sana wrote:
Well, I'd say that too much detail in the review can spoil the experience for people who are simply looking for an estimation of the map's quality prior to playing it. :)

I agree, under usual circumstances. Technically speaking there should be a line between a review and a piece of criticism (one is for the uninitiated looking for recommendation, the other is a critical breakdown intended for familiar minds...specifically for those that have already had the experience). I'd like to think that when I'm writing up on a map I'm doing it for people that have already played it and who might wish to read a deconstruction, although the presence of the score system says otherwise. So as a rule, I try to avoid spoiling something on the grounds that many people here probably haven't played all the packs and might be curious as to what to download.

In any case, review should not read like a walkthrough.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 May 2010, 21:23

sana wrote:
UBerserker wrote:There's nothing wrong in giving tips in a review in my opinion - I did the same thing with the Solaris one.

(also it takes centuries to edit! :P)

I hope you haven't cut much.
ImageImage

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 May 2010, 21:26

UBerserker wrote:
I hope you haven't cut much.

I think all they edit is setting up links in places and maybe some formatting. Unless your spelling is particularly heinous, maybe that too.

User avatar ividyon

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 May 2010, 21:27

I just corrected the language wherever necessary. If I ever feel that a review should be shortened (which probably will not happen) I will consult the reviewer first to make sure no offense is taken. :)

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 May 2010, 21:29

I wasn't against the language errors - I asked for corrections too, to Scrag et al. I was talking about the content.
ImageImage

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 May 2010, 21:31

I don't think we've ever cut content ourselves. I've sometimes asked for rewrites, and I've corrected formatting and language errors. That's about it.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar ividyon

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 May 2010, 21:36

Under my iron-fisted dictatorship, however, there will be censorship policy along the lines of "opinions I dislike are banned" and "my stuff is better than your stuff", of course. :P

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 May 2010, 21:41

sana wrote:Under my iron-fisted dictatorship, however, there will be censorship policy along the lines of "opinions I dislike are banned" and "my stuff is better than your stuff", of course. :P

lolz

I don't think I've ever censored stuff much, either, except perhaps to cut a few swear words, which I think have no place in serious critical appraisal or neutral news reporting.

Life is what you make of it.

Previous