This is a test. Test! Consider yourself tested.

[usp] [u1] [ut] Two new reviews

Legacy news previously posted on UnrealSP.org.
User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject: [usp] [u1] [ut] Two new reviews

Post Posted: 19 May 2010, 19:50

Today we have two new reviews from Mister Prophet: The first is the second in his series of reviews of Zora's map packs, namely Zora's Episode 2; and secondly, as a bonus, a short review of Raven's equally short UT SP map Heart of Chizra. Stay tuned - we will have yet more reviews for you within the next few days.
Last edited by Hellscrag on 20 May 2010, 18:38, edited 1 time in total.
Life is what you make of it.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 May 2010, 20:06

haha Heart of Chizra in par with The Darkening as the short map ever haha
Also Skaarj with Flak Cannons are less menacing than hitscan doods.

Week of the weird reviews.
ImageImage

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 May 2010, 20:59

UBerserker wrote:Also Skaarj with Flak Cannons are less menacing than hitscan doods.

Perhaps, but the word I used was "uncertain." I find that troopers wielding hitscan weapons are certainly dangerous at any range...but they are predictable. The same cannot be said about Flak Troopers.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 May 2010, 21:22

The big difference is that instead of relying on pure luck you can normally dodge Flak stuff. Mostly if they appear in open spaces.
ImageImage

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 May 2010, 21:32

UBerserker wrote:The big difference is that instead of relying on pure luck you can normally dodge Flak stuff. Mostly if they appear in open spaces.

Luckily they often do in Episode 2 and 3.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 May 2010, 13:01

I played Heart of Chizra yesterday and can agree with the review. The score seems very high for such a short map so I tried to bring that score down a bit but acn't really find much fault with it.
It's short and easy buit still has a fun factor.

The strange thing is that I lured the Berserker into the small room while I was in the corridor and ... the Berserker froze in a corner. Is this a technical glitch in the map? Or could something wrong in my installation (because lately I get weapon freezes in a couple of the newly discovered maps - I'm thinking about some hig res textures causing problems with older maps).

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 May 2010, 13:30

How he was frozen? Did he become unlit? Hi-res textures shouldn't cause this kind of stuff, unless your rig is really that weak. My game works flawlessly with the ExtremeEnd textures.
ImageImage

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 May 2010, 18:06

salsaSkaarj wrote:I played Heart of Chizra yesterday and can agree with the review. The score seems very high for such a short map so I tried to bring that score down a bit but acn't really find much fault with it.
It's short and easy buit still has a fun factor.

That was really the situation. What was there was good and decent. I had to criticize of course the lack of gameplay, but this is really a situation where length of play had to be a factor (usually something that I don't particularly care about).

salsaSkaarj wrote:The strange thing is that I lured the Berserker into the small room while I was in the corridor and ... the Berserker froze in a corner. Is this a technical glitch in the map? Or could something wrong in my installation (because lately I get weapon freezes in a couple of the newly discovered maps - I'm thinking about some hig res textures causing problems with older maps).

Never happened to me. If it's happening to your guns too...dunno. But in regards to the Berserker, I never actually lured him very far from where you meet him, so it's a possible oversight. Did he interact with any architecture possibly?

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 May 2010, 18:47

Funny how the comments are for the short map and not the Zora review :o

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 May 2010, 18:54

Mister_Prophet wrote:Funny how the comments are for the short map and not the Zora review :o

You know though, I'm sure at least someone will start playing the Citadel while also reading the review on the site and instead of shutting the game down and saying "f*&k off", will actually figure out the code by the hints in the review.

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 May 2010, 19:01

I kind of made an unintentional walkthrough there maybe, but only because I don't think most players would have known that a combination order was needed for every input. I thought it was relevant to mention.

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 May 2010, 19:21

Exactly. The whole code on the left number on the right thing was good in theory, but just badly executed.

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 May 2010, 19:28

I'd be curious to know if Zora does this sort of thing intentionally (failing to mention a key step within the game). I guess I subscribe to the idea that a puzzle can be as complicated as the maker wants it to be as long as all players attempting to solve it have a fair crack. You don't need to leave obvious hints, but all the tools should be there.

User avatar Raven
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 May 2010, 20:31

Tnx for review. HoCh was just a test of WarpZone. Anyway it's not the only SP map I've released, the next one is Point of View and it's really wired - more of a "proof of concept" in fact. Here's linkey: http://turniej.unreal.pl/pliki/mapy/sp/pov_demo.zip. There was a plan to make larger pack out of this one (with different story though) but I never found time to finish it. Be warned - lot's of grammar mistakes, etc.
Last edited by Raven on 20 May 2010, 20:37, edited 1 time in total.
Madness, as you know, is like gravity…all it takes is a little push!
http://turniej.unreal.pl/portfolio

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 May 2010, 20:34

A demo? I'll look it over.

As for Heart, yeah it's really short...but you could easily make a full SP map if you wanted to.

Next