Scout-kun is a lie... right?

[usp] [u1] Three forgotten works reviewed

Legacy news previously posted on UnrealSP.org.
UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Re: [usp] [u1] Three forgotten works reviewed

Post Posted: 28 May 2010, 00:03

The question was a separate thing. You really fight a lot of Tentacles here, I wasn't making up jokes in the review.

Regarding the propeller thing you have to swim through a hole in the floor. After that there's the exit. The next map is Boiler, which has the whole matter about the moving bridges and the annoying violet fog.
ImageImage

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 28 May 2010, 00:17

UBerserker wrote:The question was a separate thing. You really fight a lot of Tentacles here, I wasn't making up jokes in the review.

I had just read the beginning of the review so I didn't really know what to expect in trems of gameplay. Now that I've read the whole review I can understand why you didn't like it all that much, although the scores for Gameplay Balance is lower than I would expect (halfway through the pack).

UBerserker wrote:Regarding the propeller thing you have to swim through a hole in the floor. After that there's the exit.

I had seen that hole, which is why I jumped into the water, but perhaps I don't even need to swim though the propeller - I was just getting ready to call it a day anyway and have a samegame 2 or 3 rooms earlier so I can continue without having to replay the whole level.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 28 May 2010, 00:21

salsaSkaarj wrote:I had just read the beginning of the review so I didn't really know what to expect in trems of gameplay. Now that I've read the whole review I can understand why you didn't like it all that much, although the scores for Gameplay Balance is lower than I would expect (halfway through the pack).

There's too much Razorjack/Rifle ammo in the later maps. The pack becomes easier and easier as you progress.
ImageImage

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject: Re: Re:

Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011, 08:28

zbreaker wrote:
Hellscrag wrote:
Mman wrote:I don't know if anyone has them, but Archsub isn't the only Steve Long level set; I know there's a pack after which was heavily based on a Duke Nukem homage in setting. I thought I could recall Archsub linking right into those maps, but apparently not.

OH, I remember him now! He e-mailed me a lot back in the day. I seem to recall being confused by his approach to releases, given that he tended to release stuff one map at a time rather than in coherent packs. I don't think I ever actually played any of his stuff, as I wanted to play it as a proper map pack.

Steve Long was/is a really cool individual. It was indeed several years ago that he put out a bunch of linked though generally unrelated maps as a large "pack" of sorts. Archsub was one of the maps. The pack was his initial foray into UnrealEd. He was primarily a mapping enthusiast for Duke Nukem as mentioned and Doom. I remember much as Scrag we exchanged some emails regarding his work and he was nice enough send me a cd with his Duke & Doom stuff.

Mman wrote:I don't know if anyone has them, but Archsub isn't the only Steve Long level set; I know there's a pack after which was heavily based on a Duke Nukem homage in setting. I thought I could recall Archsub linking right into those maps, but apparently not.

Does anyone have any more information on these maps/pack?
edit: I seem to have found his duke nukem maps:
http://zzora.tripod.com/DukeMaps.rar

Did Steve long make anything else of note?

edit: I just opened the zip file, it seems to be all of archsub, with the Duke maps stuck on the end. Maybe MMAN is right:
Mman wrote:I thought I could recall Archsub linking right into those maps, but apparently not.

If so, is a re-review necessary? I'm guessing not as it sounds like the Duke maps are totally different from the archsub maps. will play and find out.
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

Previous