Scout-kun is a lie... right?

[usp] [u1] Three forgotten works reviewed

Legacy news previously posted on UnrealSP.org.
User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject: [usp] [u1] Three forgotten works reviewed

Post Posted: 21 May 2010, 23:08

The glut of reviews continues. In his latest reviews, UBerserker reflects on three rarities, including the compilation map pack ArchSub, the experimental Cadet Simulation Exercise and the little-known behemoth UMS Solaris.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 21 May 2010, 23:25

Whew. No more for a while, please! :P

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 21 May 2010, 23:40

I don't know if anyone has them, but Archsub isn't the only Steve Long level set; I know there's a pack after which was heavily based on a Duke Nukem homage in setting. I thought I could recall Archsub linking right into those maps, but apparently not.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 21 May 2010, 23:54

Mman wrote:I don't know if anyone has them, but Archsub isn't the only Steve Long level set; I know there's a pack after which was heavily based on a Duke Nukem homage in setting. I thought I could recall Archsub linking right into those maps, but apparently not.

OH, I remember him now! He e-mailed me a lot back in the day. I seem to recall being confused by his approach to releases, given that he tended to release stuff one map at a time rather than in coherent packs. I don't think I ever actually played any of his stuff, as I wanted to play it as a proper map pack.

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 May 2010, 00:17

Mman wrote:I don't know if anyone has them, but Archsub isn't the only Steve Long level set; I know there's a pack after which was heavily based on a Duke Nukem homage in setting. I thought I could recall Archsub linking right into those maps, but apparently not.

Sounds like a different set. It is possible that there did exist maps before HotFoot, but I highly doubt it.

A side note: Hellscrag, the ArchSub link is still pointing to blank (even though it says FileFront to the right). I was under the impression that you were going to directly upload the pack to UnrealSP.org. If not, I would like to ask that someone upload the ArchSub.zip to FileFront so the link can be corrected. I would have done this myself, but after a recent virus attack my computer was under, I am unable to upload to any upload sites (with the exception of imageshack). I did find a way to do bypass that.

UBerskerker wrote:He took a hundred things into consideration, and he successfully developed them all to create an interesting map.

I couldn't have said it better myself. This is truly what made UMS Solaris an experience to remember regardless of the semi-noob interiors and not-so-great lighting. Swortail really put his time into doing a variety of things in one single map that ends up becoming a strangely epic experience. Well written review and accurate to a tee, I give UMS solaris review a 9.5/10.

BTW, does anyone notice a some strage similarities in the layout between Solaris and Citadel Station (System Shock)?

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 May 2010, 11:24

I forgot to fix the link before I uploaded. I've now pointed the link to Klan KAOS. A FileFront link would be welcome if anyone is familiar enough with the site to provide one - otherwise I'll consider uploading it direct to USP (which I only generally do for stuff that isn't available anywhere else, as I don't want to piss of my web hosts with excessive downloads).

User avatar zbreaker
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject: Re:

Post Posted: 23 May 2010, 22:22

Hellscrag wrote:

OH, I remember him now! He e-mailed me a lot back in the day. I seem to recall being confused by his approach to releases, given that he tended to release stuff one map at a time rather than in coherent packs. I don't think I ever actually played any of his stuff, as I wanted to play it as a proper map pack.

Steve Long was/is a really cool individual. It was indeed several years ago that he put out a bunch of linked though generally unrelated maps as a large "pack" of sorts. Archsub was one of the maps. The pack was his initial foray into UnrealEd. He was primarily a mapping enthusiast for Duke Nukem as mentioned and Doom. I remember much as Scrag we exchanged some emails regarding his work and he was nice enough send me a cd with his Duke & Doom stuff.
Old as Dirt

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Re: [usp] [u1] Three forgotten works reviewed

Post Posted: 24 May 2010, 22:19

I hope Swordtail makes a sequel to Solaris. Best new unknown author.
ImageImage

User avatar shawnd123
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 27 May 2010, 05:27

UBerserker wrote:I hope Swordtail makes a sequel to Solaris. Best new unknown author.

Solaris is really good! I'm currently playing through it, and there are so many unique features that I've never seen in any other map!
Why oh why is a map like this forgotten? I've never even heard of this map until now.....
Image Image

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 27 May 2010, 09:15

-Shadow- wrote:Why oh why is a map like this forgotten? I've never even heard of this map until now.....

The author kept it only in his website.
ImageImage

User avatar shawnd123
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 27 May 2010, 14:07

UBerserker wrote:The author kept it only in his website.

wow, so how did you find out about this map?
Image Image

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 27 May 2010, 15:04

Jackrabbit found it.
ImageImage

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 27 May 2010, 22:58

Downloaded and played ArchSub (at least until I was insta-annihilated in the fishbait level by some big revolving water mixing device (which I think must be near the end of the level).

Gameplay is on the rough side (Unreal difficulty) but not yet unfair although I regularly have to use the DP with shoot and retreat action: progress is slow but I only died by enemy hands on the first try. Second try was going good until I decided to try to swim through the propellers.
BTW, it's easy to stay on the boat, just crouch. The problem is how to get off later, it's a very sticky boat.
Up to now it's more than quite good :lol: .

I wish I had more time. Pre-summer is always a hectic period for me and with all the maps I still have to play winter will be back before I reach halfway.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 27 May 2010, 23:26

salsaSkaarj wrote:Downloaded and played ArchSub (at least until I was insta-annihilated in the fishbait level by some big revolving water mixing device (which I think must be near the end of the level).

It's just before the exit.

How many Tentacles have you already killed?
ImageImage

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 28 May 2010, 00:01

UBerserker wrote:
salsaSkaarj wrote:Downloaded and played ArchSub (at least until I was insta-annihilated in the fishbait level by some big revolving water mixing device (which I think must be near the end of the level).

It's just before the exit.

How many Tentacles have you already killed?

pfff, as though I count them? It starts in the first battle area - 2 tentacles, after the door 1 tentacle, get past the brute and past the corner , 1 or 2 tentacles ...etc Almost every room has tentacles - but since it's so repetitive they are less dangerous (Tentacles are great enemies for surprises but in these maps they've lost that element).
Luckily after finding the DP power-up they don't take so lnog to get rid of anymore, in the first level they became irritating because it takes 4 or 5 DP shots to kill them which soon becomes a chore.

edit : ah, I think I misunderstood your question. You are possibly implying that I was killed by a tentacle and not by the propellers. Yes, come to think of it - that could be the case. I cleared out the room (I think) but didn't really check the water (and I was low on health - 40-ish)

Next