ividyon will never get this done, will he.

[usp] Forum upgrade to phpBB3 complete

Legacy news previously posted on UnrealSP.org.
User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: Re: [usp] Forum upgrade to phpBB3 complete

Post Posted: 24 May 2010, 18:07

I've noticed the new forums are a bit more responsive; I'm not sure it loads faster, but it's like everything pops up a few frames sooner or something.
Formerly Mman

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 24 May 2010, 18:58

Mman wrote:I've noticed the new forums are a bit more responsive; I'm not sure it loads faster, but it's like everything pops up a few frames sooner or something.

coockies?

User avatar Semfry

Post Posted: 24 May 2010, 20:27

To be more specific, on the old forums the bluish part at the top of the forum frame would appear first and then the rest a tiny bit later, while in the new forum it all appears at almost the same time.

Since it's there as a new mod thing how does the report button work? Does a notification get sent to all mods/admins or does it only go to specific ones?
Formerly Mman

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 24 May 2010, 21:26

There's also a section related to Mod warnings and stuff like that, only accessible from the main profile pages.
ImageImage

User avatar Jet v4.3.5
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 24 May 2010, 21:59

The links don't open in new tabs like they did before, they just take the tab you're on and use that for the web site that the link is pointing to, causing you to lose anything (if there is anything you were doing) from the previous page.
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 24 May 2010, 22:34

jetv435 wrote:The links don't open in new tabs like they did before, they just take the tab you're on and use that for the web site that the link is pointing to, causing you to lose anything (if there is anything you were doing) from the previous page.

That is standard phpBB3 behaviour.

There are 3 possibilities to change this.

The most simple one (and the most logical) is to get used to right clicking on links with the mouse.
The second possibility is on the client side and involves configuring your browser to open all links from a page in a new window (or tab).
And the third possibility is to change the standard behaviour of the forum by changing the base code here and there. I would advise against that since every forum upgrade will involve reapplying all code changes with the risk that something has been broken in the meantime. A better solution would be to include a custom BBcode which should be used when links have to open in a new window/tab. This does however mean that all links posted before the introduction of the BBcode still open in the same window/tab (so to avoid that quite a lot of editig posts has to be done.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 24 May 2010, 22:45

So the migration went smoothly it seems. \o/

Personally I like the prosilver style templates more (with the profile on the right) but subsilver2 is a lot easier to modify (it's still table based contrary to prosilver which is pure CSS). For 3.0.x subsilver2 will remain supported but the tendency is for support to be dropped in a future version (not sure about 3.1 but I'm willing to bet that wil be the last version that support subsilver2).

Any plans to clone prosilver and modify the clone to an Unreal-look?

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 24 May 2010, 22:49

Darkon wrote:...
On the other hand... Sana.. I have the ability now to "Save" a reply when I make one.. (I did quote... and then i had the option to Save (the draft)... dunno what that was for. I don't have it when I edit my message (what I'm doing at this moment btw).

Save means saving a draft of your post, which you can edit later before posting (Submit).

Once a post is submitted you can edit it (depending on the permissions set) but you cannot save it any more since it's not a draft. (It's confusing so on my board I changed the text to Save draft, and changed the position of the buttons)

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 24 May 2010, 22:50

UBerserker wrote:There's also a section related to Mod warnings and stuff like that, only accessible from the main profile pages.

Uhm, it's the Moderator Control Panel. Appears on the top of the Forum Index with the Prosilver (currently ugh looking) theme.
ImageImage

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Post Posted: 24 May 2010, 23:02

It's probably better if links don't open new windows/tabs from the point of view of the embedded forum content on the main page. It's always particularly annoyed me that, if you put links into a news post here on the forum, anyone who clicks on them on the main news page gets a new tab/window.

In IE8, you can just ctrl-click on a link to get a new tab. You can always do that, or your own browser's equivalent.
Life is what you make of it.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 24 May 2010, 23:03

Hellscrag wrote:In IE8, you can just ctrl-click on a link to get a new tab.

Or pressing the mouse wheel.
ImageImage

User avatar Semfry

Post Posted: 25 May 2010, 01:13

In Chrome you can just press the back button and lose nothing. I recall it being the same when I used Firefox and IE too.
Formerly Mman

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 25 May 2010, 01:34

Woah, I get back from Costa Rica and the forums look all different and stuff and now sana is the lead archd--administrator! Can't say I'm TOO surprised, since this has all been discussed for a while, but I didn't expect it so soon.

Also, it looks like a few tags somehow didn't quite work when ported over. The EXU2 thread's first post apparently has some busted images, but they look fine according to the BBCode and other images are ok. I've also noticed some broken URL=http://whatever tags around. Dunno if there's anything to be done there or if it's just buggage.

Nice job getting the update done so soon! Did it take that long?

[Edit] lol my signature broke, yeah, there's a good example of the URL= bug!

User avatar Jet v4.3.5
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 25 May 2010, 01:37

I got on yesterday and it said "FORUMS UPDATING, GTF OUT!", and after playing something random on Unreal for fifteen minutes, it's done. Unless the update started at like 2 AM here, then it was pretty fast. Oh yeah, and how was Costa Rica (and what happened to your fuzzy, blue eyed Chef avatar :? )?
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 25 May 2010, 01:41

Uh, Chef looks normal to me...?

Anyway Costa Rica was awesome; I went with my family as a graduation celebration thing for a few weeks. We went around the place and stayed in several places, but some of my favorite stuff was in La Fortuna, next to the Arenal volcano (which is still active, albeit not really). Zip-lining and canyoning (rapelling down waterfalls in the rainforst) were amazing. I also almost killed myself when my sister and I went ATV-riding, but despite bruising the shit out of my legs I survived \o/

Previous Next