A random sentence for a random mind.

[usp] Forum upgrade to phpBB3 complete

Legacy news previously posted on UnrealSP.org.
User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject: Re: [usp] Forum upgrade to phpBB3 complete

Post Posted: 25 May 2010, 02:13

Check if you enabled BBCode in your sig, Waff. :) A side effect of the upgrade that I can't fix is that everybody's standards were set to "Disable BBCode" in the sig options.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 25 May 2010, 02:19

That did it, thanks! Seems the broken images in the EXU2 thread are magically functional again too. Weird. Wonder why they disabled the BBCode in sigs by default.

User avatar ividyon

Post Posted: 25 May 2010, 12:38

It appears that URL tags will cease to work if they encase more than one IMG tag. So for linking from multiple pictures, you'd have to encase each of them in their own URL tag... weird! I'm positive this isn't meant to happen.

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 25 May 2010, 18:06

I noticed something weird about the new layout of the forum. When I go to edit a post, I need to click the "edit" button at the bottom of the reply window instead of the top.

Even more confusing, the small window at the bottom is even labeled as "Top" even though its at the bottom of the post.

May need some investigation..

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Post Posted: 25 May 2010, 18:22

jetv435 wrote:I got on yesterday and it said "FORUMS UPDATING, GTF OUT!", and after playing something random on Unreal for fifteen minutes, it's done. Unless the update started at like 2 AM here, then it was pretty fast. Oh yeah, and how was Costa Rica (and what happened to your fuzzy, blue eyed Chef avatar :? )?

sana did a pilot of the upgrade on another site with a copy of the database, so he had time to perfect the settings and templates etc. Having done that, it was a quick and easy task to do the actual upgrade here.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Jet v4.3.5

Post Posted: 25 May 2010, 21:50

jackrabbit wrote:I noticed something weird about the new layout of the forum. When I go to edit a post, I need to click the "edit" button at the bottom of the reply window instead of the top.

Even more confusing, the small window at the bottom is even labeled as "Top" even though its at the bottom of the post.

May need some investigation..

That's for people to click when they want to go to the top and are too lazy to scroll up past all of the really long posts that they just read, or maybe one has a gross picture that almost made them throw up and they wanted to skip up to something at the top quickly. In short, the "Top" sends you to the top of the page you're on.

EDIT:
[spoiler]I'm typing this without any knowledge of what this will look like, though I have some guesses. I'm going to preview to see how awesome it might be, and if you're reading this, it's pretty awesome, just take my word for it, it is very badass.[/spoiler]

EDIT: Certainly useful. :B :tup:
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 25 May 2010, 22:12

News Node and Upcoming Map page systems are now working correctly!
ImageImage

User avatar Raven
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 25 May 2010, 22:30

Any errors please report directly to me. It was quick change in the code and something may still be broken.
Madness, as you know, is like gravity…all it takes is a little push!
http://turniej.unreal.pl/portfolio

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 28 May 2010, 00:45

I noticed that when not logged in, the "new topic" and "reply" buttons are available, but naturally after pressing them redirection force logging in (correct behaviour). But it's illogical that the "quote" and "edit" buttons aren't available, since the same rules apply.

Wouldn't it be more consistent to remove the "new topic" and "reply" buttons for guests? They have to log in anyway before being able to post anything and after lgging in they will be redirected back to the page they were viewing anyway.

User avatar ividyon

Post Posted: 28 May 2010, 18:51

If you log in by clicking the reply/new topic buttons, you will be redirected to your desired destination after the log-in process. I'm not sure why you would want to remove that shortcut. :P

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 28 May 2010, 20:13

salsaSkaarj wrote:I noticed that when not logged in, the "new topic" and "reply" buttons are available, but naturally after pressing them redirection force logging in (correct behaviour). But it's illogical that the "quote" and "edit" buttons aren't available, since the same rules apply.

Wouldn't it be more consistent to remove the "new topic" and "reply" buttons for guests? They have to log in anyway before being able to post anything and after lgging in they will be redirected back to the page they were viewing anyway.

Consistency.

Guests do not have privileges to post. This includes new topic, reply to topic, quote and edit their post (and report). So the logical thing is to hide all those buttons, or show all of them.

The problem is that it involves some intricate code editing to show the quote and edit buttons to guests without actually giving them post permissions (intricate because this is once piece of editing which has to be checked and retested and possibly recoded with each update of phpBB3). So on my board I opted to remove the "new topic" and the "reply" buttons for guests.

User avatar Legendslayer222

Post Posted: 28 May 2010, 21:03

It's unusual when you come back at the weekend and the world looks different. Never mind, I'll get used to it, everything works pretty much the same.

[spoiler]Guess I'll no longer need to write any spoilers in black ink.[/spoiler]

User avatar Jethro
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010, 15:43

sana wrote:If you log in by clicking the reply/new topic buttons, you will be redirected to your desired destination after the log-in process. I'm not sure why you would want to remove that shortcut. :P

That only answers why we have New topic/Reply buttons. This howewer doesn't answer why "Quote" is gone, and since it was my favorite shrotcut as usually I browse forums without logging on I'd be very interested in having it back.

Also, can we please get rid of "you have been successfully logged in" page? It breaks.... reading pace? Posting combo? Whatever? It's annoying to have one extra click on page that ain't really that helpful.

Other than that - great job guys! :tup:
UBerserker wrote:Story: totally guessed that Skeletor was the thief.

Previous