UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

[usp] The Vigil 99 second opinion by TheIronKnuckle

Legacy news previously posted on UnrealSP.org.
User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject: [usp] The Vigil 99 second opinion by TheIronKnuckle

Post Posted: 17 Apr 2011, 14:14

The Vigil99 review page has been updated with an elaborate second opinion by guest reviewer TheIronKnuckle. You can find it here.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject: Re: [usp] The Vigil 99 second opinion by TheIronKnuckle

Post Posted: 17 Apr 2011, 14:16

Holy crap I'd forgotten I'd sent it to you! :lol: Cheers Sana :wink: :tup:
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 17 Apr 2011, 14:19

Only took me months to process! :oops:
The length of that article is more deserving of a primary review spot, rather than a second opinion. I liked it, though; you should consider reviewing a not-yet-featured map! :wink:
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 17 Apr 2011, 16:11

meh...i shoulda changed my score to 72% lol.

TBH I didn't find Vigil99 all that difficult...you play it on easy?
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 17 Apr 2011, 16:23

I played it on nightmare. Or the "Hard" equivilant. The main thing I didn't like were the skaarj and krall that shot homing hellbolts of instant death. That screwed up the gameplay balance.

Also, just in case you were wondering, I didn't write this review because I didn't like your one :P Due to my living under a rock for extended periods of time I honestly had no idea the pack had already been reviewed. I wrote the review before realising you'd already done it, I didn't want to let the writing go to waste :P

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 17 Apr 2011, 16:45

Ah...in that case...perhaps mine SHOULD be the second opinion :lol:

Or maybe we should combine the unstable power of our 2 reviews into one awesome source of reviewness! The un-even balance of our 2 reviews at this state could cause a world wide disruption and tear the very fabric of space and time as we know it!.

But in all seriousness, I never liked the way reviews were done...since it's all pretty much opinion based...and everyone's opinion differs. I would prefer something more along the lines of the way the Anniversary Maps are reviewed, where it's an average based upon all the reviewers.
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 17 Apr 2011, 17:36

Shivaxi wrote:I would prefer something more along the lines of the way the Anniversary Maps are reviewed, where it's an average based upon all the reviewers.

That would require multiple people reviewing every pack. No one has done all the new releases a review yet even. :P
But yes, that system would probably make things fairer.

Nice review(s) by the way.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 17 Apr 2011, 21:02

Legendslayer222 wrote:That would require multiple people reviewing every pack. No one has done all the new releases a review yet even. :P
But yes, that system would probably make things fairer.

There was a discussion about this already and one of the problems I mentioned was that not everybody has enough technical knowledge of Unreal to be able to judge e.g. technical execution, texture alignment (I for one don't easily notice misalignments).

A public mutiple review system should be based on features which can be reviewed by everybody, unless one allows for category only reviews e.g. I could review gameplay balance but not gameplay awe. In such system gameplay balance would be reviewed 11 times but gameplay awe only 9 times (or on the other hand 13 times).

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 17 Apr 2011, 21:30

I still have to write a second opinion for Unreality for giving that pack a negative rating.
ImageImage

User avatar Legendslayer222
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 17 Apr 2011, 22:07

I'm still waiting for a Final Worlds review. :D

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 17 Apr 2011, 22:21

TheIronKnuckle wrote:I played it on nightmare. Or the "Hard" equivilant. The main thing I didn't like were the skaarj and krall that shot homing hellbolts of instant death. That screwed up the gameplay balance.

True, ... at least, that's what I thought the first time I played it. Eventually I played it at each difficulty setting (and beat it without cheating - and never got the BFG in the first room). The first time I played I got killed many times but eventually I found the correct (for me) strategy to use. And looking back, the lowest difficulty level should be possible for just about everybody who takes some time to study the attacks by the dangerous enemies. It will always be Hard but it's fun getting to know how to beat them (my favorite - get them to weaken each other) and I don't consider it completely screwed any more - although I certainly think an easier difficulty level should be availible.

User avatar []KAOS[]Casey
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011, 09:42

IronKnuckle in the review wrote:Every time I switched to the sniper rifle my FOV was reset to 85 or something ridiculous like that. Fuck off! I play my shooters at a FOV of 115.

Uh.. that would be my fault. When I ported the code from the horrendous pre220 code, I simply just fixed it, and didn't bring it up to modern standards. It pretty much went like this. Open .u file in old ass version of unreal, comment most of it, load it in 225f, uncomment and fix. save. done.

The old sniper rifle code used hardcoded crap values for zoom in/out, so.. er.. yeah my bad. I could fix that if it's needed though.

Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011, 10:58

oh! :lol: I hope you didn't take the "fuck off" personally. sorry :)

A fix would be great. Don't let it distract from 227 efforts though