UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

[u1] Unreal Patch 227h now released

Legacy news previously posted on UnrealSP.org.
User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject: [u1] Unreal Patch 227h now released

Post Posted: 05 Jun 2011, 15:03

The newest iteration of OldUnreal's amazing community patch, Unreal 227h, has now been released. It adds a few extra features such as decal support for static meshes and removes glaring issues found in the previous release, making the patch certainly worth upgrading to. Grab it at OldUnreal.com.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Re: [u1] Unreal Patch 227h now released

Post Posted: 05 Jun 2011, 16:50

It got some, minimal lighting bugs still, as in vortex2.
Saw this on BUF.
ImageImage

Smirftsch
OldUnreal Staff OldUnreal Staff

Post Posted: 05 Jun 2011, 17:12

explained it there already (http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthre ... ost2517276) but, here is a copy of it:

It's a lighting problem, but its not really a lighting issue, its caused because the origin of the body is insight the world geometry .
Basically its a map issue which could have been easily avoided. 227g/h is just a bit more sensitive to such mistakes as it handles many things more accurate (in this case ighting visibility was changed center of render bounding box rather than actor location).

That's very sad for old maps, but fortunately this happens only in very rare situations. So new maps can benefit from it with "little losses".

Besides, lighting itself wasn't changed, except specularity, which made meshes unlit partially even if there was no light source at all. Now the lighting is there more accurate too as it only displays light which is actually really there.

Of course this can be taken as disadvantage or even "bug" if you wish, but there are a few things in which we suffer from "the sins of the past" just for fixing bugs, like this one above.

:)

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 06 Jun 2011, 02:26

You could take it a step further and start patching individual maps? :P Break compatibility across versions, I wouldn't care. Although I'm sure a great many others would....
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

jammer64
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012, 21:55

Guys, a problem here. Framerate is really low especially when I see more geometry. When I look up in the sky, framerate is normal. It didn't happen with previous 227 :/ I use Direct9 renderer and GeForce 450GTS.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012, 22:15

TheIronKnuckle wrote:You could take it a step further and start patching individual maps? :P Break compatibility across versions, I wouldn't care. Although I'm sure a great many others would....

Would probably make more sense to add a legacy boolean that toggles between the new lighting system and the old one, but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra work.

User avatar Gizzy
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 06 Jan 2012, 01:28

jammer64 wrote:Guys, a problem here. Framerate is really low especially when I see more geometry. When I look up in the sky, framerate is normal. It didn't happen with previous 227 :/ I use Direct9 renderer and GeForce 450GTS.

Are your shadows set to Ultra-High res? If so, change it to blob or low-res ones. If that doesn't fix it, reset your renderer's settings to default or try switching to a different one (Like OpenGL)

User avatar Delacroix
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 06 Jan 2012, 01:46

There WAS one map that was patched and saved under a different filename, Illumination. It is now easier to escape the explosion. ExtremeDarkGen. There's something in the system files that throws it into the loop without modifying other maps' teleporters directly.
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

User avatar []KAOS[]Casey
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 06 Jan 2012, 08:42

Yeah, I fixed ExtremeDGen so it wouldn't be bugged anymore. (Pathing needed to be rebuilt from leftovers of ExtremeGen/spawning in initial area where you'd get stuck online) This is how the game switches to it. CoopGame only, map made in 225f so old clients can download it. There is no real difference between the two maps. I just made the playerstarts move to the second area after the teleport effect as well.

Code: Select all

function SendPlayer( PlayerPawn aPlayer, string URL )
{
   local GameRules G;

if ( GameRules!=None )
   {
      for ( G=GameRules; G!=None; G=G.NextRules )
         if ( G.bHandleMapEvents && !G.CanCoopTravel(aPlayer,URL) )
            return;
   }

// hack to skip end game in coop play
   if ( left(URL,7) ~= "endgame")
   {
      Level.ServerTravel( "Vortex2", False);
      return;
   }
   if ( left(URL,11) ~= "extremeDGen")//change to fixed map instead
   {
      Level.ServerTravel( "EXTREMEDarkGen", True);
      return;